About Those PS5 Pro rumors... An opinion from someone else in the industry. (@ModernVintageG)

D

Deleted member 417

Good video but I think some points he uses to argue that there won't be a ps5pro are reasons why there will be.

Targeting 1080p on shitty old hardware means a pro makes sense. So too does a shift in consumer purchases.

However, the ps5 has vr2 and if the consumer purchaes shift to vr, Sony will want the extra power to help kick vr2 into overdrive, especially when competing with the next generation of PC headsets.

On top of that, when Microsoft release their update/new sku versions of XSX and XSS, Sony will need to have a product to respond.

I don't doubt that Sony doesn't want to do a Pro, as selling ps5s at a profit for the next few years would be better for them, I just doubt how much choice they will have.

Then we have to take into account MS's next moves after ABK.

A lot of ifs and When's, but if Sony aren't having the discussion around a pro, then they must know something that I don't.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Good video but I think some points he uses to argue that there won't be a ps5pro are reasons why there will be.

Targeting 1080p on shitty old hardware means a pro makes sense. So too does a shift in consumer purchases.

However, the ps5 has vr2 and if the consumer purchaes shift to vr, Sony will want the extra power to help kick vr2 into overdrive, especially when competing with the next generation of PC headsets.

On top of that, when Microsoft release their update/new sku versions of XSX and XSS, Sony will need to have a product to respond.

I don't doubt that Sony doesn't want to do a Pro, as selling ps5s at a profit for the next few years would be better for them, I just doubt how much choice they will have.

Then we have to take into account MS's next moves after ABK.

A lot of ifs and When's, but if Sony aren't having the discussion around a pro, then they must know something that I don't.
I see that PS5 pro is needed for PSVR2.
PS5 is doing well with game performance, but most games need a higher resolution that matches the excellent oled screens.
I believe a PS5 pro with hardware VRS and Hardware DLSS equivalent will make for optimum PSVR experience.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I really hope that there is no mid-gen consoles. Last generation, it made sense but not this generation. And screw 8K. Games can't even hit 4K (in any form) with a locked 60FPS.
There is nothing wrong in offering better performance for those who want it.
If pro consoles allow 1440p @120 fps at high graphics settings, then many COD, and other multiplayer gamers will welcome them.

P

peter42O

There is nothing wrong in offering better performance for those who want it.
If pro consoles allow 1440p @120 fps at high graphics settings, then many COD, and other multiplayer gamers will welcome them.

They can't even hit dynamic/native 4K or using those upscaling techniques at 60FPS so I can't see publishers going with 1440p natively at 120FPS. The most important aspect though is that nearly every major publisher will always choose visuals over performance because they can advertise visuals by showcasing them. Can't showcase frame rate which I have never seen any publisher do ever.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They can't even hit dynamic/native 4K or using those upscaling techniques at 60FPS so I can't see publishers going with 1440p natively at 120FPS. The most important aspect though is that nearly every major publisher will always choose visuals over performance because they can advertise visuals by showcasing them. Can't showcase frame rate which I have never seen any publisher do ever.
We reached a point where graphical showcase no longer has an impact. Most games look good in 1440p@60 fps.
From now on, it is all about fps and maybe VR visuals.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Pro consoles this gen is a waste of money for Sony. The majority of games don't even take advantage of the base PS5 and gamers are fine with the graphics.

MS only sold about 10 millions Series X so the PS5 is already an upgrade compared with the Series S.

I also feel like these rumors are FUD so people don't buy PS5s, to make them wait. There's many of these FUD stories every few weeks.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I don’t see a Pro being in the works, but I can definitely see multiplat development shifting from aiming for parity to maxing out the PS5 and then half-adding the Series builds.

That, or a shift to natural exclusivity on PS5 since game sales on Series are so pathetic.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
If there is a PS5 Pro, Sony shouldn't rush it to market. PS4 Pro was gimped by doing that

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
PS4 was 1080p, PS4 Pro was for 2160p output
that gen the pitch was pay an extra $100 for a higher resolution console

as more PS5 games become 30 FPS, 40 FPS at best
PS5 Pro should be made to run those games at 60 FPS
this gen the pitch should be pay an extra $100 for a higher framerate console

if we want devs to increase interactivity, fidelity and complexity, going back to 30 Hz on the min spec console would allow them to push it more. so why not offer an optional higher priced system that is specifically built to run games at 60 Hz? since the PS5 is already great for 4K TVs, make framerate the reason for the mid gen upgrade this time around

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
IMO any PS5 "Pro" upgrade, should focus less on performance and more on other aspects of the device. If there's a way for them to improve Ray Tracing performance with an upgraded SoC without essentially having to double everything, sure go ahead and do that.. Otherwise I think improving and shrining the form factor, increase the internal storage capacity (dual drive bays), and including a Dualsense Edge in the package would make it pretty desireable over the base model.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
IMO any PS5 "Pro" upgrade, should focus less on performance and more on other aspects of the device. If there's a way for them to improve Ray Tracing performance with an upgraded SoC without essentially having to double everything, sure go ahead and do that.. Otherwise I think improving and shrining the form factor, increase the internal storage capacity (dual drive bays), and including a Dualsense Edge in the package would make it pretty desireable over the base model.
I think that for longevity they should allow the replacement of the main SSD, right now this is soldered on and they all will fail.

Reactions: Remij

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Pro consoles this gen is a waste of money for Sony. The majority of games don't even take advantage of the base PS5 and gamers are fine with the graphics.

MS only sold about 10 millions Series X so the PS5 is already an upgrade compared with the Series S.

I also feel like these rumors are FUD so people don't buy PS5s, to make them wait. There's many of these FUD stories every few weeks.
We saw what taking advantage of PS5 means in the Matrix demo. Incredible graphics but sub 4k resolution and 15 fps. And don't start the optimization argument. Optimization will definitely fix performance but won't make it 60 fps or 4K30.
Once current gen only becomes the norm, a pro is very welcomed.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022

if we want devs to increase interactivity, fidelity and complexity, going back to 30 Hz on the min spec console would allow them to push it more. so why not offer an optional higher priced system that is specifically built to run games at 60 Hz? since the PS5 is already great for 4K TVs, make framerate the reason for the mid gen upgrade this time around
Such a simple straight forward sales pitch, and it would be right on the money. I agree with this take 1000%.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

I'd pay an extra $400 for 120fps