Alanah Pearce: "The Game Awards is bulllshit. It's a popularity contest"

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Alanah Pearce, influencer and writer at Santa Monica Studio recently gave her opinion on The Game Awards. According to her, the show is nothing more than a popularity contest.

The Game Awards is an international popularity competition and is generally reflected in the votes in terms of the games with the biggest marketing budget being the games that are nominated for Game of the Year. There are undoubtedly games that I personally would have nominated that would never make the cut.

Even if I were at IGN and said, "I think Dredge should be nominated for game of the year," which I do, there's no chance of that coming out of IGN because there wouldn't be enough people in the office who would have played the game. They will play the games with the most marketing because those are the games they know.

Reactions: SiCkShOt93

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yellow chair business must be slowing down

Also what the fuck else would an awards show be lol

You're awarding the games that are most popular among the judges, what is she even trying to say except to qq to pander to her audience?

Last edited:
Reactions: Edmund and Diah

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes, the Game Awards are awards.

Like in all awards they are popularity contests, the most popular ones among the ones who vote.

Reactions: Diah

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I partially agree with what she said.

But let's just say if the nomination process based purely on merits, she wouldn't have a job at all.

Based on what I know, she is a fucking hack that using tits and body to ladder up to journalism. Her carrer is the reward of a popularity contest

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
They are not supposed to be a popularity contest. Otherwise FIFA, COD, Fortnite would show up every year.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They are not supposed to be a popularity contest. Otherwise FIFA, COD, Fortnite would show up every year.
I don’t think you understand who the games that win are popular with.

Do the big dumb Marvel movies ever win best picture?

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Yes, the Game Awards are awards.

Like in all awards they are popularity contests, the most popular ones among the ones who vote.
The Oscars aren’t a popularity contest. The Academy doesn’t give a single fuck about box office numbers. If they did MCU films would be winning best picture every year.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The Oscars aren’t a popularity contest. The Academy doesn’t give a single fuck about box office numbers. If they did MCU films would be winning best picture every year.
But the Oscars are very much a popularity contest among the members of the Academy. They just have different tastes than the general public. And usually better taste. But popularity/politics are still absolutely involved.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Who is this? Is she even relevant?
A famous loud mouth lefty IGN graduate. I randomly stumbled upon a deviantart account dedicated to making photo edits of her being pregnant, which all you really need to know about her worth.

That said, the TGAs are open to indie GotYs. It Takes Two won just two years ago. That was an EA game but might as well have been indie.

Last edited:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
A famius loud mouth lefty IGN graduate. I randomly stumbled upon a deviantart account dedicated to making photo edits of her being pregnant, which all you really need to know about her worth.

That said, the TGAs are open to i die GotYs. It Takes Two won just two years ago. That was an EA game but might as well have been indie.

Idk anyone under 40 that even visits IGN

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Not The Oscars. Lol
100% wrong, the oscars is a popularity contest among the voting panel.

If you think it has any "objective" value then you should read the quotes where panel members often vote for things that they never even watched based on word of mouth in categories they don't care about.

Reactions: Dr Bass