An Official Message From Naughty Dog About Factions 2 & Their Next Unannounced Games

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sony already shown in the past a roadmap for first year after the Bungie acquisition, and one of the things that Bungie was going to do was to review the PS Studios GaaS titles under development sharing with them their expertise and experience.

image.png

The message in the OP is very clear, there is an official message explaining that they need extra time, so delayed it. Which it's a fact that shows that they didn't cancel it. Only delayed it, something common in game development.

So makes sense to think that, as the Bloomberg article says, as part of their review Bungie asked them to improve certain GaaS specific stuff. And they need time to make these changes, additions and improvements.

And while some people redesign and implement these parts, some other folks will temporally work in other ND projects. Nothing rare or bad, it's common stuff. Most games have changes and delays.

Makes more sense than to think that evil Jimbo and Hermen have a secret conspiracy in the shadow and want to lie to players, saying that the game has been delayed when the reality is that it has been cancelled.

But well, it doesn't suprise me after seeing many anti-Sony/Jimbo/Hermen hate and conspiracy theory messages, that often are made rejecting clear facts as their own statements or numbers. Chill, guys.
Game in development hell since 2019. The Bloomberg guy said the team was scaled back significantly and all of ND moved to work on their next single player project.
"game needs time" means shelved for now and we might comeback to it later. Game is dead. Get over it

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I'm not too bummed by this news

We were just laying into Microsoft a week ago about their lack of quality control on Redfall. How they went so hands off it became a disaster

That Bungie and their Live Service Centre of Excellence is actually making critical decisions seems good to me

When Sony launches live service games, they need to be aiming for 90+ GOTY contention like their single player games. The quality bar shouldn't be any lower

The wording of that Bloomberg article is interesting

To me it reads like a Halo Infinite scenario. Solid multiplayer game upfront, with poor planning to actually be a service and deliver constant content updates. I think this is where the extra time might go, having content ready to go in the months after launch

All that said I can only hope this project stayed as a bit of a side piece for Naughty Dog and their single player project has been moving ahead regardless
Destiny 1 - 75 META, 6.1 user score. Destiny 2 - 85 META, 4.0 user core.

Folks overblowing Bungie's potential role and say in anything regarding quality. They're not up there with Naughty Dog in the slightest in that regard.

They however know how to exploit human dopamine like the best, and stick to Fist Person Shooters for a reason. ND would probably learn more about the experiences of the Division devs than Bungie strictly speaking or Epic's Fornite.

Guerrila with midzone on the other hand. Lot to learn from Bungie, specially fanboy Hermen.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Exactly. People believe developing for PC is some side project press A to port and done. It takes extra work. Extra work that takes away from PS5.

ND even changed the way they make their engie to accommodate PC. Going so far as to add something to their engine to make sure people with slow HDD drives can run their games. They had the audacity to put that bullshit on the PSblog. What PlayStation fan wants to know that? You downgraded your PS engine because of PC and now won't full advantage of PS5......yay?

PC is the worst decision Sony has made for PlayStation.
All that for 350k sales, a couple of million of illegal downloads, some heavily discounted sales in the future, setting things up for a multiplayer that might not release, reducing the incentive for people to invest into the PS5 ecosystem.

I'm done with Jimbo and Hermen, they fucked it up completely.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

Folks overblowing Bungie's potential role and say in anything regarding quality. They're not up there with Naughty Dog in the slightest in that regard.

They however know how to exploit human dopamine like the best, and stick to Fist Person Shooters for a reason.
Bungie gave the greenlight to Fairegame$. What's your problem? 😂

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022

They however know how to exploit human dopamine like the best, and stick to Fist Person Shooters for a reason.
Doesn't sound like they are reviewing gameplay so much, but how these games are actually being treated as a service.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

They however know how to exploit human dopamine like the best, and stick to Fist Person Shooters for a reason. ND would probably learn more about the experiences of the Division devs than Bungie strictly speaking or Epic's Fornite.

Desiny 1 was treated harshly on release. It had much better gunplay and much more modes and variety than Battleifled 4 and Cod Ghost that same year and alot less bugs than Battlefield 4 but it was reviewed much harsher than both games

Reactions: Yobo

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
You can't use metacritic scores to judge GaaS. Sony will need to learn that or they might arrive to incorrect conclusions.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Doesn't sound like they are reviewing gameplay so much, but how these games are actually being treated as a service.

It set a new record for a season launch today. There’s a reason Bungie is acting as producer essentially and greenlighting these games. But let’s ignore how D2 never left XBL top 10 since Lightfall launched or how absolutely dominant it’s been for 10 years.

You do not want Redfall and halo infinite level disasters. That’s worse. Redfall dropped out of top 50 on XBL being the number one promoted gamepass game in less than a month. A premiere gamespass release… dead in less than 30 days. Halo is competing with PUBG and battlefront 2 … on its own home platform.

B26-F34-C5-9-D63-4-DAC-9-C36-FFDC4-F0221-BE.jpg

• Surprised
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Doesn't sound like they are reviewing gameplay so much, but how these games are actually being treated as a service
As someone that has 200 hrs on each game I think I've had my fill of the gameplay loop. Destiny with 2 accounts even. Plats/100% to go along with it. - until I quit obviously cause, well, gaming goes beyond a single game, GAAS, 10 year plan or not.

Unless you're suggesting somehow that Factions gameplay loop is somehow flawed compared to Destiny's core gameplay loop? It's because the Factions gameplay loop is so good that it's being considered for a standalone GAAS. Maybe you've not played Factions? To understand the difference between the two?

The thing that makes a GAAS have long legs has a lot to do with everything that's wrapped around the core gameplay loop and how the dopamine fix is administered - how reward for work aka the payoff is managed - what is given, what is withheld, when to release new content, when not to, what to include and what not to include. Weapon rarity - exotics, rare etc... all the little things that make you play more despite being completely irrelevant big scheme except "END GAME CONTENT" dopamine engages quick and suddenly you "must have this exotic, with these armor rolls, and must have this power level and wait for Xur".... It's the model that's more important to carry the game long term. The gameplay loop is a starting course minimum.

And again, Destiny 2 was on the ropes until it went F2P and the PC crowd revitalized the community - specially in the influencer streaming business of Youtube/Twitch. Let nobody tell you different cause the Destiny 1 - Destiny 2 transition almost killed them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
It set a new record for a season launch today. There’s a reason Bungie is acting as producer essentially and greenlighting these games. But let’s ignore how D2 never left XBL top 10 since Lightfall launched or how absolutely dominant it’s been for 10 years.

You do not want Redfall and halo infinite level disasters. That’s worse. Redfall dropped out of top 50 on XBL being the number one promoted gamepass game in less than a month. A premiere gamespass release… dead in less than 30 days.

Well said

I think there are a lot of intangibles to multiplayer success that simply are very hard to describe. They've been doing it successfully for 20 years

If Bungie sits you down and tells you your MP game needs work then you go to work improving it

Same as if you went to Naughty Dog for animation expertise or SSM for combat expertise

Sony's first party success has been built on the back of sharing expertise. This is no different

Reactions: Vertigo

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
As someone that has 200 hrs on each game I think I've had my fill of the gameplay loop. Plats to go along with it.

Unless you're suggesting somehow that Factions gameplay loop is somehow flawed compared to Destiny's core gameplay loop? The thing that makes a GAAS has a lot to do with everything that's wrapped around it and how dopamine fix (reward for work) is managed.
No I am suggesting that Destiny and constant content updates, it has yearly expansions, it has a huge amount of work put into it

If Bungie asks how you plan to keep players engaged, they are asking how you plan to treat it as a service not whether your shooting feels good

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

You do not want Redfall and halo infinite level disasters. That’s worse. Redfall dropped out of top 50 on XBL being the number one promoted gamepass game in less than a month. A premiere gamespass release… dead in less than 30 days. Halo is competing with PUBG and battlefront 2 … on its own home platform.

Well, they paid more than $3.7B for it better be doing damn well.

24 Jun 2022
Reads like a Bethesda/Microsoft Twitter statement 🙄

GaaS games makes a lot more sense as small projects that only get scaled up once they hit. The culture of developing everything in secret does not work for these games.

They want to make PC games but don't understand how PC works. I showed in the other thread for pretty much all popular PC games evolved from a mod or are clones from some mod.

You'll spend years of Naugthy Dog dev time on a game and some guy modding Doom or some obscure indie made by some nobody is going to the next big thing.

This is actually a good point. Hell, it'd of also required a lot less in spending to do so. They could've tried a Fall Guys-like game with PS mascot characters, or I don't know, PvP Kissing Booth Simulator. Dumb quirky stuff like that, Wallpaper Simulator, Among Us etc. are huge on PC specifically because they're unique and aren't trying to go after Counterstrike, LOL or Valorant's heads.

Sony could've simply done quirky GaaS versions of some of that stuff to test the waters, and have stuff for all three platforms (PS, PC, mobile), watch it grow and then invest more. It seems more and more that with the live-service/GaaS push they are starting too big too quickly.

Last edited: