Beloved TMNT graphic novel The Last Ronin is becoming a video game

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin is inspired by big action RPGs like God of War

tlr_lee.0.png

Like the comic, The Last Ronin video game adaptation will be a darker, more mature take on the typically colorful Ninja Turtles, according to Doug Rosen, senior vice president for games and emerging media at Paramount Global, the rights holders for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. In an interview with Polygon last week, Rosen likened the upcoming third-person action role-playing game to Sony’s recent God of War titles and said it will be authentic to the story of The Last Ronin arc, which is set in a future where only one of the turtles has survived.

The Last Ronin video game adaptation is being developed by an unnamed studio, and is likely a “few years off” from release, Rosen said. But like throwback beat-’em-up Shredder’s Revenge, developed by Tribute Games and DotEmu, and the Cowabunga Collection, developed by retro-game collection experts Digital Eclipse, Rosen said they’ve found the right partner to adapt The Last Ronin into an ambitious AAA video game.

Reactions: AniWeeb

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Seems like a cool idea but all depends on the studio and how talented they are.

You need solid gameplay that has a high skill ceiling and develops through the game, an interesting world and an engaging story.

Also having the brothers be dead is a bummer to start out on but lots of games go for that dark tone I guess.

D

Deleted member 417

Sony exclusive made by a Sony studio. Though i dislike how the term 'rpg' is slapped on everything that isn't remotely an RPG just because you level up a weapon.

Reactions: KnittedKnight

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Sony exclusive made by a Sony studio. Though i dislike how the term 'rpg' is slapped on everything that isn't remotely an RPG just because you level up a weapon.
Huh, is it? Would seem like a waste to put one on adapting a xomic that will be years out of date on release.

D

Deleted member 417

Huh, is it? Would seem like a waste to put one on adapting a xomic that will be years out of date on release.
Fair point. Maybe it will be a new studio that Sony have bought or this game will be the test run for their purchase. I wouldn't be shocked to see Sony helping in the making of this game

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If this is done by the right studio it would be great.
Rocksteady or SuckerPunch, Insomniac would be great options

Reactions: KnittedKnight

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Maybe its pixelopus

Heart Smile GIF

• haha
Reactions: Kokoloko

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Fair point. Maybe it will be a new studio that Sony have bought or this game will be the test run for their purchase. I wouldn't be shocked to see Sony helping in the making of this game
Other than mentioning that they want it to be like God of War Sony doesn't actually feature in the article at all.

• brain
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Seems like a cool idea but all depends on the studio and how talented they are.

You need solid gameplay that has a high skill ceiling and develops through the game, an interesting world and an engaging story.

Also having the brothers be dead is a bummer to start out on but lots of games go for that dark tone I guess.
I'm glad someone else said it. I don't see how this can be "beloved" when 3 out of the 4 turtles are supposed to be dead. Like ... how is that fun for fans? lol

Seems like a major downer of a comic book when this stuff was supposed to be fun kids stuff. I know I don't want to play the setup for this game.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: KiryuRealty

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
This sounds amazing.

I've only ever enjoyed the TMNT animations and the best one imo was the 2003 version, as it had a slightly darker tone, specifically the latest seasons.

Reactions: Darkknight2149

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I'm glad someone else said it. I don't see how this can be "beloved" when 3 out of the 4 turtles are supposed to be dead. Like ... how is that fun for fans? lol

Seems like a major downer of a comic book when this stuff was supposed to be fun kids stuff. I know I don't want to play the setup for this game.
It was from the original run, which wasn’t for kids, not the sellout kiddie shit that the property was devolved into when Eastman and Laird sold out.

If you automatically think TMNT equals kid’s stuff, read the OG books. They were beloved because it was good, grown-up stuff when they wanted to tell darker stories, and even the 2002 animated series was darker than any of the other animation, as it was all based on the original books.

True fans are excited to see the real, adult-oriented TMNT make a comeback with this game, and dark stuff can be a lot of fun if it is handled right.