Black Girl Gamers] Forspoken wouldn't have received this same level of criticism had Frey not been Black.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Speaking to Eurogamer, Lopez says she believes the game wouldn't have received this same level of criticism had Frey not been Black. "In the gaming industry, there are these dude bros that come out of the woodwork whenever they feel like Black and Brown people are stepping out of their place," Lopez tells me. "They feel they own the gaming industry and gaming culture. And part of that is because gaming media outlets and publishers have allowed them to feel that way for such a long time. They feel empowered to tank a game [that has a Black protagonist]. If it had a white person, they would probably have not felt the same way.

"All the people I've spoken to who have played the game have enjoyed it on some kind of level and thought it doesn't deserve the flack that it got

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
BTW I call bullshit on this. Now all these fake progressives try to pin race on everything while turning a blind eye to everthing else within our communities.

Although from what I've heard the game isnt all that bad I don't think it got reviewed harshly due to the race of the character. Thts just my opinion but who knows..

D

Deleted member 417

They're right, it would have received more hate because fewer outlets would have been worried about appearing racist.

Reactions: Box

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
She's right you know. David Jaffe said the same thing. The level of hate this game received on social media was unlike anything I'd ever seen before, just pure bandwagon mentality. And then people who played the game realize the writing is nothing like twitter tried to make it seem.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
She's right you know. David Jaffe said the same thing. The level of hate this game received on social media was unlike anything I'd ever seen before, just pure bandwagon mentality. And then people who played the game realize the writing is nothing like twitter tried to make it seem.
Same can be said about "Days Gone" I call bs on the race card.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Same can be said about "Days Gone" I call bs on the race card.
Don't really care about what you call bs on, the game was getting hate from a certain audience just off of the main character being a black woman. I guess you're also blind to the "woman card" when it comes to Aloy and the hate she gets? Get outta here

The game sucks.

It's not the actress fault.
The game is the best part of it, some of the best combat i've seen this gen, doubt you'd admit that seeing as you've probably never played the game and just jumped on the same bandwagon as others.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Don't really care about what you call bs on, the game was getting hate from a certain audience just off of the main character being a black woman. I guess you're also blind to the "woman card" when it comes to Aloy and the hate she gets? Get outta here

The game is the best part of it, some of the best combat i've seen this gen, doubt you'd admit that seeing as you've probably never played the game and just jumped on the same bandwagon as others.
And I give two shits about what you saying. So idk what you think your pompous, snarky response is dojng to me? Ppl like you will keep falling back on this bs narrative and making excuses for our own. It may not be a horrible game but there were alot of reasons it got reviewed low. I gave you a Days Gone example which was battered to death that protagonist is white. Do ppl discriminate for many diff things? Of course, but thts life. I doubt very much it was the race card but I'll let ppl like you fall back on that :) This coming from a minority, who lives In NYC and has seen all types of discrimination and racism.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

Speaking to Eurogamer, Lopez says she believes the game wouldn't have received this same level of criticism had Frey not been Black. "In the gaming industry, there are these dude bros that come out of the woodwork whenever they feel like Black and Brown people are stepping out of their place," Lopez tells me. "They feel they own the gaming industry and gaming culture. And part of that is because gaming media outlets and publishers have allowed them to feel that way for such a long time. They feel empowered to tank a game [that has a Black protagonist]. If it had a white person, they would probably have not felt the same way.

"All the people I've spoken to who have played the game have enjoyed it on some kind of level and thought it doesn't deserve the flack that it got
I see that California is giving millions of dollars in reparations, Do you fancy moving m8,

I'm from England so you can blame me for some colonial past shit that my great great great great grandfather twice removed did, we could rake in a couple of million then move to Florida and open up a ~BBQ joint on the shoreline doing deep sea fishing tours with hot Bikini chicks as tour operators.

Just a thought.

sexy swimming pool GIF by Videoland

People see race in everything these days, its boring.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I see that California is giving millions of dollars in reparations, Do you fancy moving m8,

I'm from England so you can blame me for some colonial past shit that my great great great great grandfather twice removed did, we could rake in a couple of million then move to Florida and open up a ~BBQ joint on the shoreline doing deep sea fishing tours with hot Bikini chicks as tour operators.

Just a thought.

Just a thought.

People see race in everything these days, its boring.
And at this point expected and at times enabling. It's disgusting at this point. Ppl in the streets of nyc committing crimes are literally being let go without bail bcus they are minorities.

But let me get off the political talk bcus I want to focus on gaming

Reactions: Sircaw

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
And I give two shits about what you saying. So idk what you think your pompous, snarky response is dojng to me? Ppl like you will keep falling back on this bs narrative and making excuses for our own. It may not be a horrible game but there were alot of reasons it got reviewed low. I gave you a Days Gone example which was battered to death that protagonist is white. Do ppl discriminate for many diff things? Of course, but thts life. I doubt very much it was the race card but I'll let ppl like you fall back on that :) This coming from a minority, who lives In NYC and has seen all types of discrimination and racism.

Looking at his other comments I'm 90% sure he is just a troll.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
True to be honest, the game ended up caught into these cultural wars and just wasn't strong enough to overcome it. The hate for the game is not compatible with how inoffensive it is as a game, it's clearly coming from somewhere else.

It also suffers from being a Japanese game that looks way too westernized, so it doesn't get away with a lot of quirks that these games usually get away with (like bad animation, cringe cut scenes, bad acting, etc).

A lot of these narratives are also coordinated and being pushed by salty Xbox warriors, we see it again and again: mocking Aloy in Horizon, evil Neil Drukman, God of War being a "Marvel movie" and so on.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
True to be honest, the game ended up caught into these cultural wars and just wasn't strong enough to overcome it.

The hate for the game is not compatible with how inoffensive it is as a game, it's clearly coming from somewhere else.

It also suffers from being a Japanese game that looks way too westernized, so it doesn't get away with a lot of quirks that these games usually get away with (like bad animation, cringe cut scenes, bad acting, etc).
Maybe user scores - which I bet are mostly console wars bs anyway. But western media gaming outlet, no chance.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Maybe user scores - which I bet are mostly console wars bs anyway. But western media gaming outlet, no chance.
I think being a temporary PlayStation exclusive might hurt it a little bit when it come to that, we were at peak "Anti-consumer Sony" narrative. The exact same game releasing for Xbox would've had better scores.

Forspoken has some low scores that are lower than the lowest Redfall scores somehow, it was cool to hate on the game.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
6AvWH0l.png

Amazing that you can have a job just wagging your finger. She says almost nothing of value in that entire article. Pure sour grapes because the turd she consulted on didn't go over well. This line is particularly hilarious to me:

I ask Lopez if she feels the game's audience wasn't ready to accept a Black woman leading a fantasy game. "It's not about readiness. I think [the audience] don't want to," she says. "But being honest, it's not a surprise."

lmao, are we not ready yet, do we just need to be educated more, etc?

Nah y'all jiss be raciss n sheeit

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I have not played the game, so I will not give my impression of it.

However, I think a lot of the lower scores come from the Xbox sites/podcasts. Some of them gave redfall a better score, which is something that no amount of racism can account for.

That being said, there is a backlash against DEI/woke stuff in all media... Which I think is something that is in part well deserved (other than the alleged actual harassment).