Car culture and driving [OT]

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
This is the thread for all car talk, discussing diesel, petrol, hybrid or electric engines, all brands or even motor sports.

Post pics of your own cars, make dream lists of cars you'd like to own or the next car you hope to upgrade to.

Nico Rosberg recently got his Rimac Nevera and here is a video of this 2000 bhp beast, which can do 1-100kph in 1.85 seconds.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
My craziest car was a 2008 Dodge Avenger R/T. If you don’t know what one is, you’d probably never guess.

Under the sheet metal, which is a barely changed Avenger, the R/T model was actually an ACR club racing model with a civilian interior and a street legal exhaust.

In place of the 4-cylinder of the base Avenger, or the 2.4L V6 of the Avenger SXT, the R/T had the 3.5L V6 from the Charger SXT, transverse mounted and rotated 90 degrees downward to fit the smaller engine bay of the Avenger body. The cylinder heads are behind the grille, and it was a HEMI.

I forget the exact horsepower numbers, but it had the same thrust-to-mass ratio as a 1971 Hemicuda. Mine had the factory rev limiter removed.

It was a monster. I had to fight to keep it on the leash, but opening it up was like nothing else. One Sunday morning on a quiet stretch of highway in the high plains, I managed to spike the speedometer, which topped out at 265 km/h.

Maintenance costs were brutal. New tires every year, new front brakes every two. Over $1000 a year in speeding tickets.

I had to trade it in, but I can’t say I really missed it. Too stressful for daily driving. But goddamn, what a thrill to open it up now and then!

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
My craziest car was a 2008 Dodge Avenger R/T. If you don’t know what one is, you’d probably never guess.

Under the sheet metal, which is a barely changed Avenger, the R/T model was actually an ACR club racing model with a civilian interior and a street legal exhaust.

In place of the 4-cylinder of the base Avenger, or the 2.4L V6 of the Avenger SXT, the R/T had the 3.5L V6 from the Charger SXT, transverse mounted and rotated 90 degrees downward to fit the smaller engine bay of the Avenger body. The cylinder heads are behind the grille.

I forget the exact horsepower numbers, but it had the same thrust-to-mass ratio as a 1971 Hemicuda. Mine had the factory rev limiter removed.

It was a monster. I had to fight to keep it on the leash, but opening it up was like nothing else. One Sunday morning on a quiet stretch of highway in the high plains, I managed to spike the speedometer, which topped out at 265 km/h.

Maintenance costs were brutal. New tires every year, new front brakes every two. Over $1000 a year in speeding tickets.

I had to trade it in, but I can’t say I really missed it. Too stressful for daily driving. But goddamn, what a thrill to open it up now and then!

1000 in speeding tickets....

don draper faint GIF

The real problem here is that you'd be disqualified from driving before getting to 1k in fines.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The funniest ticket I got in the R/T was being pulled over by an Alberta Sheriff for going 118 in a 110, while there were assholes going 130 or higher.

I asked the sheriff respectfully why I got the ticket even though he had to have clocked people going faster, and his answer was "I pulled you over because none of them could out run me, but you could." Turned out he was a muscle car fan and knew what I had.

He also wasn't wrong. He was in a Police Interceptor Dodge Charger, which is basically an SRT 8, and I had dusted a few of those in the R/T before.

• brain
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The funniest ticket I got in the R/T was being pulled over by an Alberta Sheriff for going 118 in a 110, while there were assholes going 130 or higher.

I asked the sheriff respectfully why I got the ticket even though he had to have clocked people going faster, and his answer was "I pulled you over because none of them could out run me, but you could." Turned out he was a muscle car fan and knew what I had.

He also wasn't wrong. He was in a Police Interceptor Dodge Charger, which is basically an SRT 8, and I had dusted a few of those in the R/T before.

Damn, I love videos of people just losing the cops... I wish people in my country had the balls to do it. But I've never seen it here, except maybe motorbikes.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Damn, I love videos of people just losing the cops... I wish people in my country had the balls to do it. But I've never seen it here, except maybe motorbikes.
If I listed everything I dusted in that car, you might not believe half of it.

I discovered that there was a Bullit edition Mustang in Calgary by embarrassing him when he tried to cut me off on a merge.

• fire

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I don't know much about cars, but this lotus from your eyes only is pretty sweet.
art-mg-lotusespritturbofyeo3.jpg
Fun fact, the Lotus Esprit from that model year on used a motor co-developed by Chrysler and Mitsubishi that was also used in the Lancer, the mid-80s Dodge Charger, the VW Rabbit and others. It was a highly-versatile flat-four that could be configured as a 1.8, 2.0, 2.2 or 2.4L displacement and run as naturally aspirated, EFI, Turbo, Twin Turbo, supercharged or even twin-supercharged configurations, and a descendant of it is still in use by most of Mitsubishi's lineup.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I want to buy a Hibrid SUV for my next car... I was thinking in the Volvo but from this year Volvo started to only make full electric cars.
The car was called Volvo XC40 Recharge.

Volvo-XC40-Recharge-Pure-Electric-4_edited-1200x719.jpg

Volvo-XC40-Recharge-Pure-Electric-6_edited-990x594.jpg

I did found the Ford Bronco a really great car but it is Gas only that breaks any change to get one.

ford-bronco-wildtrak-2022.jpg

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I want to buy a Hibrid SUV for my next car... I was thinking in the Volvo but from this year Volvo started to only make full electric cars.
The car was called Volvo XC40 Recharge.

Volvo-XC40-Recharge-Pure-Electric-4_edited-1200x719.jpg

Volvo-XC40-Recharge-Pure-Electric-6_edited-990x594.jpg

I did found the Ford Bronco a really great car but it is Gas only that breaks any change to get one.

ford-bronco-wildtrak-2022.jpg

Yup, I was also considering going hybrid..... but not just for fuel economy.... mainly for the performance boost and lower tax.

I wanted a 530e, if I can't get one of those I might go for a 530d though. The 2017 - 2020 model gets about 255 hp total from the 2 motors but the 2021/2 model gets nearly 290 hp now I believe. That would be enough for a little fun IMO.

I have a 520 F10 atm.

Both of those 4X4's look great, I suppose it all depends what you need them for, what you're routine is and how you use them during holidays / trips.
My wife wants a 4X4....but I have not really looked yet, she doesn't drive so it would be just for the utility that she wants it.

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yup, I was also considering going hybrid..... but not just for fuel economy.... mainly for the performance boost and lower tax.

I wanted a 530e, if I can't get one of those I might go for a 530d though. The 2017 - 2020 model gets about 255 hp total from the 2 motors but the 2021/2 model gets nearly 290 hp now I believe. That would be enough for a little fun IMO.

I have a 520 F10 atm.

Both of those 4X4's look great, I suppose it all depends what you need them for, what you're routine is and how you use them during holidays / trips.
My wife wants a 4X4....but I have not really looked yet, she doesn't drive so it would be just for the utility that she wants it.
I don’t really needs 4x4… I barely go off-road
My last pickup had 4x4 and I don’t e member when I had to turn 4x4 on except to see how it was :D

• party

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
My next vehicle will be a mid-size SUV again, my back can't take getting into a sedan too well anymore. Before my 2017 Lancer Black Edition, I was driving a 2008 X3 3.0 si that suffered a 1-in-10.000 parts failure of the timing gear. It shattered and basically destroyed the valves. Would have needed a whole new motor, which would have been $8500 minimum. I paid less than that for the whole vehicle!

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
My next vehicle will be a mid-size SUV again, my back can't take getting into a sedan too well anymore. Before my 2017 Lancer Black Edition, I was driving a 2008 X3 3.0 si that suffered a 1-in-10.000 parts failure of the timing gear. It shattered and basically destroyed the valves. Would have needed a whole new motor, which would have been $8500 minimum. I paid less than that for the whole vehicle!

Yeah, my mom had a 2007 X3 back when it came out but BMW had a huge issue with timing chains around that time and up until 2014 in some engines.

Main reason I want to move on to a newer 530 is to get away from all those issues.

I actually hear some companies are looking back into rotary engines since they have less moving parts and are so efficient. So that could be cool... since they can rev so high, they make an amazing sound.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Here is Porsche's new turbo patent, which is kinda genius. If they can get it working well, next 911 should be insane (more insane)

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yeah, my mom had a 2007 X3 back when it came out but BMW had a huge issue with timing chains around that time and up until 2014 in some engines.

Main reason I want to move on to a newer 530 is to get away from all those issues.

I actually hear some companies are looking back into rotary engines since they have less moving parts and are so efficient. So that could be cool... since they can rev so high, they make an amazing sound.
No sound will ever touch the howl of a Hemi when you open up the throttle.

• party
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Different turbo sounds explained. /\

How to be a BMW driver \/

Love this.

Last edited:

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
Got this ride last year in February. About to be 1 year anniversary. I used to drive nicer cars, but finances got tight :(

Attachments

• 20220127_151705.jpg
    20220127_151705.jpg
    831.3 KB · Views: 7