Car culture and driving [OT]

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
Encouraged to.

What a great choice btw, Lexus are so dependable and well made. How has it been for you?
Very good. But I miss driving my Range Rover Velar 2019. That thing turned heads, but it was an expensive upkeep. I never cared for luxurious jewelery, or super fancy brand clothing. But luxury cars are very important too me. Especially here in South Florids. It's part of the show-off culture lol.

Attachments

• 2023-land-rover-range-rover-velar-front-three-quarters-1650643655.jpg
    2023-land-rover-range-rover-velar-front-three-quarters-1650643655.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 3
  • party
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Very good. But I miss driving my Range Rover Velar 2019. That thing turned heads, but it was an expensive upkeep. I never cared for luxurious jewelery, or super fancy brand clothing. But luxury cars are very important too me. Especially here in South Florids. It's part of the show-off culture lol.

Land Rover are great, I live close to their new facility here in Ireland (Jaguar / Land Rover jointly).... I believe they work on software and autonomous driving here.
I'd really love to get one at some stage. Would be very appropriate for some of the driving here.

Is your Lexus the the ES300 ? a hybrid?

I'm still in a BMW 520 F10 but I always loved them... they remind me of a shark or something with some of the lines and the little fin.

Hoping to move to either a 540i or a 545e next....

I was advised to go 540i.....I think the idea is that it is the same 6 cylinder that is in the 550i and you can tune it up from 335hp to over 500hp. I think I would only go a little over 400 though.

GIF by Top Gear

Last edited:

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
Land Rover are great, I live close to their new facility here in Ireland (Jaguar / Land Rover jointly).... I believe they work on software and autonomous driving here.
I'd really love to get one at some stage. Would be very appropriate for some of the driving here.

Is your Lexus the the ES300 ? a hybrid?

I'm still in a BMW 520 F10 but I always loved them... they remind me of a shark or something with some of the lines and the little fin.

Hoping to move to either a 540i or a 545e next....

I was advised to go 540i.....I think the idea is that it is the same 6 cylinder that is in the 550i and you can tune it up from 335hp to over 500hp. I think I would only go a little over 400 though.

GIF by Top Gear
No, it is IS 300 2022. Not an ES. If things start picking up I am going to go for a Mercedes E Coupe. That is my dream car.

2022-E-COUPE-MP-016.jpg

• party

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I have one of these.

0024_FABIA_COMBI_ext.jpg

Thought about buying an Audi A6 but I just can't justify spending that much money for a car.

• party

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Most fun thing on 4-wheels I've had is prob one similar to this one:
Screenshot_20230115-131139-133.png
125cc, 6 Gear Tony Kart.
Was fun to drive but fixing it all the time was a pain in the ass.(mine was 2nd hand race used)

• brain
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Most fun thing on 4-wheels I've had is prob one similar to this one:
View attachment 218
125cc, 6 Gear Tony Kart.
Was fun to drive but fixing it all the time was a pain in the ass.(mine was 2nd hand race used)

Man, karting is so much fun.... but most places that I used to go to (close to me) are closed down now. The last one went during covid.

There was one in Galway and I think Eddie Irvine owned it but that was the best one anywhere near me.... I must check if it's still going....

Reactions: PropellerEar

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Man, karting is so much fun.... but most places that I used to go to (close to me) are closed down now. The last one went during covid.

There was one in Galway and I think Eddie Irvine owned it but that was the best one anywhere near me.... I must check if it's still going....
Used to have almost free access to a track, when it was not in use, so I could hobby drive and race a bit when there were some other dudes there.

• fire
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Used to have almost free access to a track, when it was not in use, so I could hobby drive and race a bit when there were some other dudes there.

Sounds like an ideal life to me!

I see less and less young men getting licenses or delaying getting one till they are much older and maybe it's because they don't know the joy of driving.... maybe they never did any karting or experienced anything outside a daily commute.

If I could, I would love to move to Scotland or England... they are so much more driver-friendly there and cars are not taxed to hell.... like in Ireland an RS6 is almost 200K euro. The roads here are just terrible too. I must make a video of driving here during the summer and show how decrepit they are.

• Informative
Reactions: PropellerEar

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Sounds like an ideal life to me!

I see less and less young men getting licenses or delaying getting one till they are much older and maybe it's because they don't know the joy of driving.... maybe they never did any karting or experienced anything outside a daily commute.

If I could, I would love to move to Scotland or England... they are so much more driver-friendly there and cars are not taxed to hell.... like in Ireland an RS6 is almost 200K euro. The roads here are just terrible too. I must make a video of driving here during the summer and show how decrepit they are.
Small car clubs here often make ice tracks, but you need to know a friendly tractor owner who is willing to come drag you out of the snowbank when a showel and muscle or simple tow, is not enough to get you out.
You just get a <1k€ RWD car (with set of studded tires) that you that you don't care if it breaks.

• fire
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Small car clubs here often make ice tracks, but you need to know a friendly tractor owner who is willing to come drag you out of the snowbank when a showel and muscle or simple tow, is not enough to get you out.
You just get a <1k€ RWD car (with set of studded tires) that you that you don't care if it breaks.

Sounds amazing, we don't get proper snow here...it never really settles except on mountains.

I'm sure many of the farmers and other locals would help out if the conditions allowed it here though.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Awesome video....

'The man F1 banned or life'

Definitely worth a watch if you have a few minutes free.

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
This is my girl - 2020 Honda Civic EX hatchback. Saved up for about year for the down payment. I've had her for a little over two years now and she's already been through hell 😂 I hit a deer in 2021, not even a year after I got the car. That was $9,000 USD in damage. Then got into a small fender bender in December 2021. The most recent damage happened a week or two ago - I backed into a fencepost in my yard, but luckily it didn't cause any major damage. Here's a picture that was taken about a month after I got the car, when it was still all new and shiny...

• fire

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
This is my girl - 2020 Honda Civic EX hatchback. Saved up for about year for the down payment. I've had her for a little over two years now and she's already been through hell 😂 I hit a deer in 2021, not even a year after I got the car. That was $9,000 USD in damage. Then got into a small fender bender in December 2021. The most recent damage happened a week or two ago - I backed into a fencepost in my yard, but luckily it didn't cause any major damage. Here's a picture that was taken about a month after I got the car, when it was still all new and shiny...

Idk what it is but that giant cartwheel looking thing on the left makes me think that this picture was taken in a different timeline or era rather like the medieval ages. As if you time traveled to that era and took the car with you. It looks so out of place lol.

• haha
Reactions: toadsage44

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
Idk what it is but that giant cartwheel looking thing on the left makes me think that this picture was taken in a different timeline or era rather like the medieval ages. As if you time traveled to that era and took the car with you. It looks so out of place lol.
I'm not 100% sure what it is, either. I believe it's a water wheel or something. We went on vacation to Tennessee that year and it was at the bottom of the hill from the cabin we were staying in, so I seized the opportunity and took a pic with it!

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Beautiful car, but I would never own an M-series. Not even on an all-inclusive lease. From my experience with my R/T, you just do not want a super-tuned car for a daily driver. Way too stressful.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't buy one. The markup is huge too.

I think my plan now is to get a 540i when I can, that will be a while yet as I just got my current car. LOL

If I had money to spend on an M-series car.... I'd probably go for a Porsche though.