Death Stranding has sold over 10M copies

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
A Twitter post by Hideo Kojima confirms that there are over 10 million "Sam One" players around the world.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
A Twitter post by Hideo Kojima confirms that there are over 10 million "Sam One" players around the world.

Kojima created something special with Death Stranding. Well deserved success.

Waiting a bit to make a new run with the Director's Cut.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Great stuff. Great to see the industry embrace innovative and varied games. They keep asking for something different most times, when it comes they usually crucify it. Yet, DS was a game which pushed boundaries, relative to story, gameplay and graphics. I guess it's simple, you have a higher chance of succeeding if the quality of your game is maintained across all it's individual parts.

Reactions: arvfab

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Are we assuming that PS extra IS NOT included in this?

I imagine it’s not. Just wondering how they account for it anyway.

10 million exceptional btw - for both Kojima and new IP.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That was another game on GAF that was said to have underperfomed lol

Edit - It doesn't seem to be sales but players.... that means accounts connected.... so sales is probably a bit lower? Around 8 million?

Reactions: Airbus

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
This is better than FF7R isn’t it?

I always found it interesting that for all the hype the “most anticipated remake of all time” was… it only sold like 5 million on Ps4.

Just saying… nothing is what it seems.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Are we assuming that PS extra IS NOT included in this?

I imagine it’s not. Just wondering how they account for it anyway.

10 million exceptional btw - for both Kojima and new IP.
It includes subscriptions... it is wrote in the pic.
That is why I'm guessing sales around 8 million or so... maybe even a bit lower.

FhBk1PPUUAA2NkV

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Ah… so it’s not sold. It’s total players.

Eh, that kinda means a bit less for a game like this. Of course it will accumulate something over time when it’s on a sub.

Perrott

21 Jun 2022
Just to add the last milestone was about sales.

Over 5 million in March 2021... if you account the time after that and new subscriptions services the sales are indeed around 8 million.

The Director's Cut has been a flop, so I doubt it's moved the needle considerably from 5 million figure reported a year and a half ago.

Between additional Steam sales and shit, I'd expect lifetime sales to have grown to 6 million since then, with the remaining 4 million coming from subscription services.

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
It's very great game and very unique. My only issue is the cinematic popping whatever what you do, menus couldn't been a bit more polish, but overall nice and unique experience.

Reactions: Umar

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
is there anyway to disable the gyro controls when viewing menus… I absolutely loathe it. Horrible design choice.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The Director's Cut has been a flop, so I doubt it's moved the needle considerably from 5 million figure reported a year and a half ago.

Between additional Steam sales and shit, I'd expect lifetime sales to have grown to 6 million since then, with the remaining 4 million coming from subscription services.
The normal game sold on Steam around 2M copies of the main game and around 200-400K of the standalone Director's Cut (I assume there was a DLC to upgrade, but can't see it now because they removed the original game from the store).

The game was also available in other PC stores like Epic, GoG or now in the MS store. So maybe it sold around 2.5M copies in PC alone. Console exclusive AAA games traditionally sell on console several times more than in PC, in many cases between 4x and 6x times. Even if we take a super conservative approach and consider that DS+DSDC sold around 2x more on console than in PC, that would mean around 7.5M copies sold, and to reach the current 10M users we should add 2.5M users from PS Plus and GP. And will continue selling a bit more across time.

So Death Stranding must already be the best selling Kojima game ever (as I remember, the previous record was slighlty above 6M units sold) not a flop.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Not sure about that... the game sold over 2 million on Steam alone that brings the sales to 7 million.
IMO I believe my around 8 million is probably very accurate.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Directors cut was like a 10$ upgrade wasn’t it? I can’t remember what I paid. And then there’s it being featured in PS Extra.

Totally muddies the waters. Not in a bad way tho.

Players are different than sell thru. Sold is different than shipped. You could ship 5 million and sell shit like E.T. for the 2600 and then be forced to bury unsold copies in the desert.

You won’t know until the sequel. And what I mean by that is… if those 10 million players enjoyed it; the sequel should theoretically have a bigger launch than the first.

Same goes for TLOU2. If a good amount of players legit disliked it; a potential third game would see a tamer launch.

Sometimes you gotta wait and see… heh

Last edited:

Perrott

21 Jun 2022
The normal game sold on Steam around 2M copies of the main game and around 200-400K of the standalone Director's Cut (I assume there was a DLC to upgrade, but can't see it now because they removed the original game from the store).

The game was also available in other PC stores like Epic, GoG or now in the MS store. So maybe it sold around 2.5M copies in PC alone. Console exclusive AAA games traditionally sell on console several times more than in PC, in many cases between 4x and 6x times. Even if we take a super conservative approach and consider that DS+DSDC sold around 2x more on console than in PC, that would mean around 7.5M copies sold, and to reach the current 10M users we should add 2.5M users from PS Plus and GP. And will continue selling a bit more across time.

So Death Stranding must already be the best selling Kojima game ever (as I remember, the previous record was slighlty above 6M units sold) not a flop.
Not sure about that... the game sold over 2 million on Steam alone that brings the sales to 7 million.
IMO I believe my around 8 million is probably very accurate.
The 5M figure from March 2021 already accounts for both PS4 and PC sales up to that point, so a good chunk of the lifetime PC sales (north of 2M, y'all are right on that) is already included in that initially reported figure. Considering the very frontloaded commercial performance of Death Stranding, as well as the fact that the PC version had already been through a couple of Steam's seasonal sales up to that point, then I think it wouldn't be crazy to state that a majority of the PC sales happened before April of last year.

As we all know from looking at the various sales charts from all around the world, the full game release of the Director's Cut didn't do big numbers at all, barely moving the needle when it comes to new units sold. On the other hand, the $10 upgrade path for existing owners was relatively successful and popular, but I doubt those would count as actual sales.

So that's why I believe that a figure in the ballpark of 6M, or 6.5M being generous, would be more accurate.