Death Stranding is coming to PC Game Pass. The official announcement is tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 51

What a time to be alive. So much randomness going on with gaming these past 2 years, not to mention what the future holds. Imagine the day Nintendo releases a big hitter for PlayStation and Xbox? Could that really happen? Find out on the next episode...

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Good guy sony, letting microsoft buyout the industry and allowing people to play games they funded for free on a subscription service.

Reactions: On Demand

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
CuckedStation: Watch as everyone else acquires publishers and plays games sony helped fund or made famous to begin with.

Have some faith in Sony. They are right now busy with dealing to respond to the antitrust divisions regarding to damage Microsoft’s AB deal. After that they will accelerate their game and will definitely buy at least one big gaming company. Square Enix is going to join Sony in the near future, 100%.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Have some faith in Sony. They are right now busy with dealing to respond to the antitrust divisions regarding to damage Microsoft’s AB deal. After that they will accelerate their game and will definitely buy at least one big gaming company. Square Enix is going to join Sony in the near future, 100%.
Going to be honest man, I dont think they will. Sony seems extremely cheap. They let fromsoftware and atlus slip through their fingers for pennies on the dollar. Hope im wrong though.

Reactions: On Demand

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Going to be honest man, I dont think they will. Sony seems extremely cheap. They let fromsoftware and atlus slip through their fingers for pennies on the dollar. Hope im wrong though.

Yeah I am getting you. But that was in the past and industry changed a lot to the negative. They know they can’t sleep this time and the leadership of SIE is different too. If you recollect al past events around Sony and Square, starting with Jeff G. and so on, it can’t be a mere coincidence. I think it must be really complicated to acquire a Japanese publisher even as a Japanese company themselves. Let’s not jump to fast in conclusion, and see what happens after the closure of the Embracer deal. Square Enix will be the cheapest of all major Japanese gaming companies.

Reactions: Dabaus

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Although we aren't privy of what's actually in the contract, apparently it is the publisher who makes decisions like these. And Sony did not publish Death Stranding on PC.

MLB was the publisher on PC and Xbox, so they made the decision for the game to come on PC and Xbox Gamepass.

Sony isn't the publisher in both these cases and may not have any say in the matter.
There is an important difference between MLB and Death Stranding:
  • MLB owns the MLB IP and licenses Sony to develop the game series and to publish it on PS. MLB decides to publish it by themselves (without Sony) on other platforms. Here MLB is the owner of the IP and who decides what they do with it.
  • Sony owns Death Stranding IP and published it on PS. They allowed another publisher, 505 to port it and publish it on PC. Here Sony is the owner of the IP and who decides what they do with it.
Knowing Sony blocks even multiplatform games that got a marketing deal with them from appearing on rival game subs, it's fair to assume that they may have blocked 505 from putting Death Stranding on PC GP.

But who knows, maybe Sony forgot to block it on their deal with 505 or only blocked it for a period of time, or maybe Sony is open to make more money with DS on PC by allowing to put it PC GP after having it some time on sale.

Or who knows, maybe it's only that the PC GP community manager did a small stunt to go viral and help to promote its service.

Yeah I am getting you. But that was in the past and industry changed a lot to the negative. They know they can’t sleep this time and the leadership of SIE is different too.
Kadokawa acquired From Software 8 years ago. Sega bought Atlus 9 years ago.

Back then From Software and Atlus didn't have the sales and status they have now and back then Sony (and the other biggest publisher) weren't agressively acquiring companies.

Kojima is 58 years old so won't make a lot of games more and doesn't want to sell his studio, so Sony won't buy it.

Regarding Square Enix, it's pretty likely that Sony may buy them: we're in a context of consolidation, with a Sony/SIE who has a lot of money and acquires companies that help them grow in areas they don't dominate while also have to act to protect key 3rd party partners to be acquired from competition who could keep them away from PS.

Square and Sony are a great fit and have multiple areas important for them where they could benefit each other in sinergies that would arise from an acquisition, and the movement of getting rid of unprofitable teams could be seen as improving their numbers before selling the company. On top of that there are some rumors including a credible one from a former boss of an ex-Square Enix studio saying that Sony is in talks or interested to buy Square Enix.

And well, the Sony acquisitions we saw until now weren't reactions to MS acquisitions. It could make sense that the reason of why Sony raised their mid term budget for acquisitions, investments and stock repurchases would be that they will buy a publisher of the size/price of Square Enix.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
There is an important difference between MLB and Death Stranding:
  • MLB owns the MLB IP and licenses Sony to develop the game series and to publish it on PS. MLB decides to publish it by themselves (without Sony) on other platforms. Here MLB is the owner of the IP and who decides what they do with it.
  • Sony owns Death Stranding IP and published it on PS. They allowed another publisher, 505 to port it and publish it on PC. Here Sony is the owner of the IP and who decides what they do with it.
Knowing Sony blocks even multiplatform games that got a marketing deal with them from appearing on rival game subs, it's fair to assume that they may have blocked 505 from putting Death Stranding on PC GP.

But who knows, maybe Sony forgot to block it on their deal with 505 or only blocked it for a period of time, or maybe Sony is open to make more money with DS on PC by allowing to put it PC GP after having it some time on sale.

Or who knows, maybe it's only that the PC GP community manager did a small stunt to go viral and help to promote its service.
True, all reasonable scenarios.

Also, @kyliethicc raised a good point earlier in the Discord that that 505 deal was made years ago. The Kojima PC deal was even well before that. It was a different world back then, and subscription services had a minuscule role back then.

Not sure Sony had covered every base by then. It is only more recently that subscription services have become more of a talking point in the industry. I bet contracts evolved over time to cover these bases and loopholes.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
True, all reasonable scenarios.

Also, @kyliethicc raised a good point earlier in the Discord that that 505 deal was made years ago. The Kojima PC deal was even well before that. It was a different world back then, and subscription services had a minuscule role back then.

Not sure Sony had covered every base by then. It is only more recently that subscription services have become more of a talking point in the industry. I bet contracts evolved over time to cover these bases and loopholes.
True, the 505 deal was signed while ago when Sony still wasn't publishing their games on PC, and they did the PC deal with Kojima even before that, when game subs were smaller/less important than now.

I think it's possible that there could be some loophole.
Don't let Yurinka hear this. He still believes it's coming to Playstation. 😂
It's the Xbox CFO who said that their plans for Zenimax / Bethesda weren't full exclusivity, but 'First or Better or Best' (so multiplatform and timed exclusivities) instead. Not me.

And being the CFO I assume he'll know what are they doing with their money.

Last edited:

MScarpa

28 Jul 2022
It's the Xbox CFO who said that their plans for Zenimax / Bethesda weren't full exclusivity, but 'First or Better or Best' (so multiplatform and timed exclusivities) instead. Not me.

Let's make a bet than shall we. If it comes to Playstation I'll donate 100$ to your charity of choice. The same goes if I'm correct.

D

Deleted member 51

Is the game pretty good though? This is one I've never really give a chance yet. It looks like it has it's good moments, but also can be stagnant? Someone give me a good breakdown if possible.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Let's make a bet than shall we. If it comes to Playstation I'll donate 100$ to your charity of choice. The same goes if I'm correct.
I don't know what you smoke, guys. The post I wrote includes the source with the Xbox CFO saying that, it's a fact that he said that.

The guy said their plan was 'first, better or best' instead of exclusives. So I think that since this game won't be released at launch on PS maybe it will be released on PS some time after, maybe a year or two. Or not, it may be a full exclusive.

I didn't say that I think they will release it on PS. I think it was originally developed as a multiplatform game (probably as leaked/rumored with a timed PS exclusivity) and MS bought them and got the game exclusivity for them. Maybe total console exclusive or maybe timed console exclusive.

I won't bet anything, specially since we should wait almost 3 years to see who was right.

Is the game pretty good though?
It's the 2019 game that received more goty awards according to this website:

At least time ago was on track to be the best selling ever Kojima game and got good MC:
image.png

So I'd say yes, it's good. Or at least this is what most people seems to think.

But it's a Sony game, so you will hate it. Unless they include it in GP, maybe in that case you may get interested on it.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: MScarpa
D

Deleted member 51

I don't know what you smoke, guys. The post I wrote includes the source with the Xbox CFO saying that, it's a fact that he said that.

The guy said their plan was 'first, better or best' instead of exclusives. So I think that since this game won't be released at launch on PS maybe it will be released on PS some time after, maybe a year or two. Or not, it may be a full exclusive.

I didn't say that I think they will release it on PS. I think it was originally developed as a multiplatform game (probably as leaked/rumored with a timed PS exclusivity) and MS bought them and got the game exclusivity for them. Maybe total console exclusive or maybe timed console exclusive.

I won't bet anything, specially since we should wait almost 3 years to see who was right.

It's the 2019 game that received more goty awards according to this website:

At least time ago was on track to be the best selling ever Kojima game and got good MC:
image.png

So I'd say yes, it's good. Or at least this is what most people seems to think.

But it's a Sony game, so you will hate it. Unless they include it in GP, maybe in that case you may get interested on it.
You have my attention here. I'll check it out when I get back home, in 2 weeks. Can't even enjoy rollerdrome at the moment.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Is the game pretty good though? This is one I've never really give a chance yet. It looks like it has it's good moments, but also can be stagnant? Someone give me a good breakdown if possible.
Probably my game of last generation.
It is not just good… it is amazing… it is a game made for gamers.

But there is a hater vocal crowd over it at launch for being a Kojima exclusive game to PlayStation.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Actually 505 have the publishers rights of Death Stranding on PC.

BTW it is a masterpiece and the best Kojima work to date.
I don't think it's the best Kojima work.
So far nothing comes close to MGS3.
ZOE2 comes 2nd, but he wasn't the director. I think he was writer and producer.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
True, the 505 deal was signed while ago when Sony still wasn't publishing their games on PC, and they did the PC deal with Kojima even before that, when game subs were smaller/less important than now.

I think it's possible that there could be some loophole.

Why are you so stuck on the outdated CFO quote still ?

The CEO, who is a bigger authority than the CFO, has already said Starfield is Xbox and PC only in more recent times.

let it go GIF

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Why are you so stuck on the outdated CFO quote still ?

The CEO, who is a bigger authority than the CFO, has already said Starfield is Xbox and PC only in more recent times.
I am not stuck in anything, this quote isn't outdated. Nobody at Xbox claimed that what the CFO said was wrong or that they changed their plans and strategy.

In fact, Spencer and Howard doesn't say anything about exclusives in that interview and not even mention if ESVI will be exclusive or not. Or if it would be the case it doesn't mention if Starfield or ESVI would be timed console exclusives or not.

You can read it looking at the complete conversation and focusing on what are actual Spencer quotes and what is added by the interviewer, and understand it as if they he was saying that didn't have a lot of big first-party FRANCHISES (notice he doesn't mention exclusives) and that thanks to the acquisitions now they have more.

That with Starfield they'd have one of the biggest games of the year and he expects to also ESVI to be the same, a first party franchise (remember, he mentioned franchises and not exclusives) as one of the biggest games of whatever year it gets released. And that the acquisition to make popular multiplatform IPs exclusives ("not about punishing any other platforms"), but that it's to ensure they'll have these game on their ecosystem (so add it to the catalog of GamePass, Cloud Gaming, etc).

image.png

Or you and ignore the context of the full speech and ignore the differences between quoted and unquoted parts, and to think that when he's supposed to say he sees ESVI as the same than Starfield he wasn't talking about the topic of his previous quote, getting more big first party franchises relevant as one of the biggest games of the year, but that instead was talking about something maybe Phil didn't say or refering to and that maybe it's a consideration added by the interviewer as context and explanation (exclusivity being the elefant in the room and that Starfield will be XB and PC only).

And to consider that when he says it isn't about punishing other platforms and that it's about having their games on their full ecosystem (including them Gamepass and Xcould) he means that they will turn them exclusive and that the important part for them is not to remove it from other consoles but instead to bring them to GP and their cloud gaming.

You could even consider that when he says "That would be true when I think about any of our franchises" he doesn't mean that what it's important to secure them for their ecosystem and secure a lineup of important 1st party content (exclusive or not) but that he meant all the games of all their franchises now will be full Xbox exclusives and that. Even if some time later they announced stuff like Minecraft Legends for PS and Switch, maybe you consider that they were lying or something and that Minecraft Legends won't be released on PS and Switch.

It's a similar case to the "we believe in generations" interview where some -including the interviewer- considered that Jim Ryan was saying that they weren't going to do any crossgen games, while he never said such thing in the interview and instead he said there that they were going to continue supporting PS4 during years after the PS5 release as they are doing.

TLDR: The interview doesn't contradict the Xbox CFO words. Mentions (maybe not said by the interviewer, not Spencer) that Starfield is (without specifying if full or timed) console exclusive and you can consider or not that Spencer said there that ESVI will be (who knows if timed or not) console exclusive or not. You can also even (wrongly) consider all future MS games will be console exclusive as well, something proven wrong as I mentioned with cases like Minecraft Legends.

And regarding timed console exclusives that originally were only announced as exclusive for a console hiding it was a timed exclusive we have many previous cases from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. This is my favorite one:

image.png

As I said, I think we may have a year or two after the Starfield release to know if it's a timed console exclusive or a full console exclusive. And even if Starfield and a handful big games more turn out to be a full exclusive instead of a timed exclusive the CFO can still be right and their strategy can be "first, better or best" instead of making exclusive everything they buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.