Digital Foundry's Need For Speed Unbound's Tech analysis: PS5 vs XSX/S

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022

PS5 and Series X uses dynamic scaling to 4k. Dips fall to 1800p on PS5 and 2016p on Series X. Cube maps are generally in use for reflections and the game utilizes cartoony effects for exhaust, speed boosts etc.....

As for performance, the PS5 takes pole position here with only occasional 1 off dips here and there. Generally, Series X and S falls much more often during normal gameplay and suffers a bit more severely during busier races with lots of cars on screen and I can conclude more effects as well. Series X and S falls into the low 50's in these scenarios.

SideNote: As for Dynamic scaling numbers, I'm not the biggest believer of Oliver Mackenzie, I guess we can wait on Vgtech for more conclusive answers including tearing stats and a more in depth look at framerate differences. It's because Oliver likes to gloss over things a bit and tries to be a bit diplomatic about it. He also mentions that Checkerboard rendering is at play here, don't know why that would be used when there is FSR 2.1 available, especially since there have been no updates to the former since the PS4 PRO days. I will say the slight artifacting on zoom looks like typical CB but we shall see if other tech analyses agree,

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Just grab a hammer and some nails and they will have those dips fixed up in no time!

oh no oops GIF by Laff

OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Same DRS setting on both consoles would probably do it. No reason to compromise the framerate just to have higher minimum resolution, to be honest.
Seems like they've been doing that since the XBOX ONE X, PRO had the better framerate in so many faceoffs because XBONEX was chasing 4k, it's still happening to this day. Check out Vgtech's Warzone 2.0 results on last gen systems, the PRO and PS4 have no tearing, both of them have much higher framerates, the Xbonex is trying to push 4k. Just to push the power divide and folk to come up with "it's pushing a 70% more pixels" or whatever makes them sleep well at night.

Devs are still doing the same now with XSX, at times with worse detail and many times at worse framerate with tearing, or worse IQ at a higher resolution with low quality variable rate shading..

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I’m skeptical SX is GPU bound. Surely the most basic testing would have surfaced the low 50’s performance and things would be adjusted accordingly…….unless of course it’s not so simple as lowering the drs. I put forth its the split ram causing havoc.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: ethomaz
OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
I’m skeptical SX is GPU bound. Surely the most basic testing would have surfaced the low 50’s performance and things would be adjusted accordingly…….unless of course it’s not so simple as lowering the drs. I put forth its the split ram causing havoc.
The thing is, the game dips into the mid 50's during less stressful races and when things get hectic with lots of cars on screen, the XSX falls into the 51 fps zone. I think it may even dip lower seeing as DF is always conservative with their framerate and rez reads vs Vgtech. PS5 seems to hold a very solid 60 during busy races and the one off dips don't even look during intense scenes.

I do think it's a really nice looking racing title, but perhaps Grid legends is a bit more technically accomplished, especially since that game offers a 120fps mode as well. Criterion offers a very nice touch of global illumination here with nice indirect lighting and it extends to some nice passes on foliage, it's a very nice looking game for an open world racer from what I've seen.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The thing is, the game dips into the mid 50's during less stressful races and when things get hectic with lots of cars on screen, the XSX falls into the 51 fps zone. I think it may even dip lower seeing as DF is always conservative with their framerate and rez reads vs Vgtech. PS5 seems to hold a very solid 60 during busy races and the one off dips don't even look during intense scenes.

I do think it's a really nice looking racing title, but perhaps Grid legends is a bit more technically accomplished, especially since that game offers a 120fps mode as well. Criterion offers a very nice touch of global illumination here with nice indirect lighting and it extends to some nice passes on foliage, it's a very nice looking game for an open world racer from what I've seen.
DF really seem to downplay framerate stability in cases where Series X has higher peak frame rates while PS5 has a lower peak but lower variance.

Status
Not open for further replies.