Do you think it's worth buying a PS5 and having a PC in this particular case?

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
Hello! I humbly request the wisdom of this forum to help me in this life changing decision:

I've been playing on pc basically all my life now. In my country we have regional prices on Steam, that means that games are usually super cheap (like 3 times cheaper than buying the game from the Sony store)

Is the console experience worth the price difference in my case? the idea of playing on a big tv and sitting on the couch is tempting... and thanks to the Playstation games that came to steam recently I'm realizing that the exclusives are really good.

Thats it. Thanks to everyone that takes the time to share their opinion!

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It's all down to the individual.. for me, I love just sitting down on a soft sofa and having a cup of tea and then getting into the games.

I play on a LG OLED and usually play at 60 / performance mode.

My advice is....if you see the games coming in the next year or two and are really interested in them (FFXVI, FFVII R2, Spider-man 2, Wolverine, Stellar Blade etc) and you can afford it, then I'd go for it.... you'll never truly know for sure until you try it out and give it a little time.

The thing is, if you buy the PS5 and have no time or give it very little time, then it will seem like a pointless purchase.

It all depends on your efforts to engage with it, the way it is meant to be used.

Multiplayer is generally very good for fighting games like SF, Tekken and MK.... and even shooters to avoid cheating, so thats another angle.

OP
OP
Summer Nightmares

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
It's all down to the individual.. for me, I love just sitting down on a soft sofa and having a cup of tea and then getting into the games.

I play on a LG OLED and usually play at 60 / performance mode.

My advice is....if you see the games coming in the next year or two and are really interested in them (FFXVI, FFVII R2, Spider-man 2, Wolverine, Stellar Blade etc) and you can afford it, then I'd go for it.... you'll never truly know for sure until you try it out and give it a little time.

The thing is, if you buy the PS5 and have no time or give it very little time, then it will seem like a pointless purchase.

It all depends on your efforts to engage with it, the way it is meant to be used.

Multiplayer is generally very good for fighting games like SF, Tekken and MK.... and even shooters to avoid cheating, so thats another angle.

Thanks for the thoughtful answer!

• Shake
Reactions: Bryank75

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Unless you have top end GPU, it is worth it.
PS5 already smokes out majority of PCs.
PS5 games, let me say differently, console games are miles more polished then PC games, that one alone justifies the price. That peace and quite. Depends where you live, you can find physical second market games cheaper and can resell when you finished.
Controller, Loading times, Tempest with headphones no brainer too. And PS5 also have top of the line PSVR2.
I don't even need to talk about games.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
PS5 and PC is a perfect combination for those who care alot about resolutions and performance while love gaming. This way you have access to Sony exclusives and the best multiplatform experience on high end PC GPU.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Hezekiah

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Depends on a variety of factors.

1) does the ps5 have games you want to play that aren't available on pc?
2) can you afford it?
3) how good is your pc?

For me the ps5 is absolutely worth it for FFXVI and the FF7 remake project alone, I'm not waiting a year or more to play it on pc.

Reactions: VillaiN

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Hello! I humbly request the wisdom of this forum to help me in this life changing decision:

I've been playing on pc basically all my life now. In my country we have regional prices on Steam, that means that games are usually super cheap (like 3 times cheaper than buying the game from the Sony store)

Is the console experience worth the price difference in my case? the idea of playing on a big tv and sitting on the couch is tempting... and thanks to the Playstation games that came to steam recently I'm realizing that the exclusives are really good.

Thats it. Thanks to everyone that takes the time to share their opinion!
What country you are from and hoe much you normally pay for games on PC?

Last edited:

iAMJeffy

29 Oct 2022
Yes definitely worth. For narrative and single player story games, the TV and couch combo can't be beat 👍

That has been my combo for a while now PC+PS.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
For VR, haptics and exclusives it definitely is worth it. Also if you don't want the hassle of having to meddle with settings sometimes, definitely. I'm sure other days you won't mind that but its ease of use helps. Plus GT VR!

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think it depends of how much do you value the games that are only available in one of the two platforms.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Do you think it's worth buying into the best gaming platform and ecosystem there is? Well yes of course what kind of question is that. No need to tip toe or equivocate here. PC should always be just the back up imo. Habits do change... you ideally should not limit yourself to a monitor when console gaming is best done on a Big TV. I see a lot of folks that do this, unfortunately, due to mancave space concerns and "convienience" that the already present PC setup imposes on the individual without said individual realizing (some call this "habit").

Last edited:

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
No. Way too much library overlap.. and Sony's own exclusives are also coming to PC at this point... there's less reason than ever to buy a Playstation if you're already deep in the PC ecosystem.

Stick with PC... and perhaps get a Switch or Steam Deck for portable/console-like gaming which will already support lots of the games you already have.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If you like playing exclusives and ease of use then get the PS5. For me most my gaming is 1st party Playstation and Nintendo stuff plus Fromsoft, Capcom, Rockstar etc, so no point me waiting or even hoping for games to come to PC.

If 1st party stuff isn’t your thing then stick with the PC

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I have a PC, Switch, and a PS5. I can get pretty much any game I want, from the best Sony and Nintendo exclusives, to all the PC games, from Indie to AAA.

This to me is the winning combo. So to answer your question, if you want to play PS exclusives day and date, with the overwhelming majority of them not being available on PC, as well as Microsoft exclusives, nothing beats it.

If you just want to play multiplatform, the choice will be around if you prefer playing on a couch Vs on a desk (as I do), or to have your PC in a living room for example. Each case is its own use case.

A PS5 costs as much as my graphics card and offers that piece of mind of less broken games on release + plug and play and not fucking around with settings.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
PC for pc, xbox, and switch games. PS5 for ps exclusives and games that use the dualsense well. If you have the money there's no reason not to have one. And if you end up not liking it for whatever reason, you can easily sell it for close to retail because it's in demand.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Kokoloko