[ESQUIRE] new expose on summer games fest: studios pay up to $550,000 a trailer.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Wasn't the big deal about E3 how it was costing too much to present there? How is this any different?
Like now hard would be for Sony to rent their own space and have their own show. They did with the PlayStation 4 reveal event. It's just laziness

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Like now hard would be for Sony to rent their own space and have their own show. They did with the PlayStation 4 reveal event. It's just laziness
Thyve done tht, rented movie theaters for us to see their shows on big screen, etc all those things now gone smh. I was even invited to a PSVR 1 launch in Manhattan after signing up and it was catered and at Sony theater and we got to play lots of games. They just on some cheap, corporate budget reducing shit and it's going to hurt them in the long run.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
You know, all it would take is two or three decently sized publishers to collab on one show and they'd have enough content to go their own way. Pre-agree on what time stamps they each get and then have a third party trailer company put it all together.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
You know, all it would take is two or three decently sized publishers to collab on one show and they'd have enough content to go their own way. Pre-agree on what time stamps they each get and then have a third party trailer company put it all together.
Yup and like 3 solid games announcements or showings between each of them with some other tidbits and it would be a solid show imo.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Should've paid me like square enix did for forspoken.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I can see why games cost so much to make. Not only that 550k for 2.5 Minutes, But that useless cgi trailer probably costs something like 1 or 2 Million to make.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I can see why games cost so much to make. Not only that 550k for 2.5 Minutes, But that useless cgi trailer probably costs something like 1 or 2 Million to make.

Even at that price, it's worth it for a lot of double AA studios and some of those unknown "triple AAA" startups as well as some Asian studios from China/South Korea that have almost no footprint in the west.
Them dropping trailers on their own socials who have little to no traction is not going to give them the eyeballs they want.

Not everyone pays though:
After the publication of this story a handful of indie publishers and developers contacted Kotaku and explained that some “free slots” are provided to smaller, non-AAA games and studios. It appears that Keighley is sometimes pitched games to include and he provides some free airtime for these projects as part of the “earned editorial placements” previously mentioned.

Hoyoverse is bankrolling the Keighley's events lmao, they always have a couple trailers there.
But to be fair, those gacha giants spend hundred of million of dollars in marketing every year, so that fee is nothing to them.

Those publishers wouldn't want to do that, share the limelight with games that may potentially outshine them if they sit side by side. This is why any decently sized publisher does their own.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Numbers I can find on Summer Games Fest is 3.5 million peak concurrent viewers and 27 million total in 2022

When you buy ads you buy on a CPM (cost per thousand impressions). For access to a 27 million audience that is $20 if you measure against the whole audience or $157 plus more realistically would be based on the actual impressions you get at peak viewership

$20 is reasonable. $157 is very high. For comparison to advertise on Twitch you need $25k minimum and CPM when I last checked was $30 which would get you 10 million impressions

I guess you're paying for a premium and a lot of hardcore gamer eyeballs who will potentially buy your game but I'm not sure those viewership numbers justify the cost. If it was the Game Awards that makes sense

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Numbers I can find on Summer Games Fest is 3.5 million peak concurrent viewers and 27 million total in 2022

When you buy ads you buy on a CPM (cost per thousand impressions). For access to a 27 million audience that is $20 if you measure against the whole audience or $157 plus more realistically would be based on the actual impressions you get at peak viewership

$20 is reasonable. $157 is very high. For comparison to advertise on Twitch you need $25k minimum and CPM when I last checked was $30 which would get you 10 million impressions

I guess you're paying for a premium and a lot of hardcore gamer eyeballs who will potentially buy your game but I'm not sure those viewership numbers justify the cost. If it was the Game Awards that makes sense
Impressions are much less valuable than a captive audience

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Aren't the audience at SGF part of the Keighley cathedral? They're paid to be there or good boy journos.
I can't believe we traded booth babes and exciting reveals for Doritos pope and adverts.

We need to go back.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Even at that price, it's worth it for a lot of double AA studios and some of those unknown "triple AAA" startups as well as some Asian studios from China/South Korea that have almost no footprint in the west.
Them dropping trailers on their own socials who have little to no traction is not going to give them the eyeballs they want.

Not everyone pays though:

Hoyoverse is bankrolling the Keighley's events lmao, they always have a couple trailers there.
But to be fair, those gacha giants spend hundred of million of dollars in marketing every year, so that fee is nothing to them.

Those publishers wouldn't want to do that, share the limelight with games that may potentially outshine them if they sit side by side. This is why any decently sized publisher does their own.
And yet a lot of them are going to this thing. Its looking a lot like Ubisoft is the only major 3rd party doing their own show this year. The others are going on Xbox or the Jeffcast.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Wasn't the big deal about E3 how it was costing too much to present there? How is this any different?
To rent booth + build the stuff + several plane tickets & hotel & food + sent there a lot of material + make a ton of promotional material + demos + etc. was way more expensive.

To make a trailer and pay 250K to get millions of views is much cheaper, easier and faster.

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
It's a less than you imagine for example sports companys are paying tens of millions to air adverts during the european football championships in germany starting next week.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me