ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Why wouldn't they work with AMD?
Because it is not their plan.
They are avoiding the thin margins in GPU business and focusing what really give them profits.

That means they are getting out of any GPU business and that include others GPU manufacture partners like AMD or Intel.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
So, are they going to shut their business or what? Isn't that all they do?
They are shutting their GPU business and focusing in the others business that give them high profit margins.

And no… it is not all they do… they motherboards, power supplies, mouse, keyboard, cooling solutions, etc.

From owner talk power supply gives them 300% bigger profit margins than GPU for example.

D

Deleted member 13

Wow! This sucks! I'm sorry to hear about how Nvidia treated that manufacturer.

I think Nvidia is very high and mighty towards the industry because they are so far ahead.

Most people now will just buy the base boards that are sold through Nvidia's own supplier. That's what I did for the 3090. Eventually Nvidia might build their own manufacturing plant and supply all the cards somewhat like Valve does with the Steam Deck.

Reactions: Bryank75

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Wow! This sucks! I'm sorry to hear about how Nvidia treated that manufacturer.

I think Nvidia is very high and mighty towards the industry because they are so far ahead.

Most people now will just buy the base boards that are sold through Nvidia's own supplier. That's what I did for the 3090. Eventually Nvidia might build their own manufacturing plant and supply all the cards somewhat like Valve does with the Steam Deck.

There is no one in the AIB sector that makes cards as well as EVGA and treats their customers very well like EVGA has. They were the only ones to create a direct to consumer que for cards during the pandemic to combat bots/miners.

They are the only ones that do a step up program for people who buy cards close to a launch of a new GPU.
Their quality control also is very un-matched. BFG back in the day was the only card maker that came somewhat close when it came to warranty, testing ect.
It's sad that EVGA made more money off of PSU's than GPU's.
I hope this hits hard on NVIDIA. From what I know EVGA is not the only AIB that has had bad experience with NVIDIA.

AMD/RADEON is not perfect or absolved from having this behavior also. But from what I know, AMD gives schematics ahead of time, and lets retailers know roughly what MSRP is.
I hope this is a big FUCK you to NVIDIA. I use to be in good standing with them as a OEM Builder. But over time they kept increasing prices, and eroding the mid-range.

So fuck them is what I say.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
So, are they going to shut their business or what? Isn't that all they do?
Nah, they also make Power Supplies, Motherboards, Capture Cards, etc.

And given how much power draw the 40 series will allegedly have (as well as AMD's answer could potentially have) I think their power supplies may soon see an increase in demand.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Thats what a couple of tweets said from a video. Supposedly not gonna work with AMD or Intel, but Im only going by what some others said
I'm wondering if it's similar to a non-solicitation clause in a contract. Given they had access to NVIDIA's tech, blueprints, etc they may not be allowed to work with AMD or even announce intent to do so for at least X number of years to protect NVIDIA's intellectual property.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
That is huge 😱

nVidia already forces thin margins in their GPU business and if more partners follow the example I can see nVidia GPU business being handled sole by Founder Editions with no more partners.
That's pretty much what I see happening honestly. Though when you read into it it's nothing crazy, the dude wants to retire and the changes Nvidia are making + his age he's rather go down with the ship than do anything else. The only reason I don't see him working with AMD or Intel is strictly not wanting to foster relationships again. I'm not worried about it really, it's just one vendor out of many. I was shocked more at the news than anything else and then I just went "meh" and moved on.

Last edited:
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm wondering if it's similar to a non-solicitation clause in a contract. Given they had access to NVIDIA's tech, blueprints, etc they may not be allowed to work with AMD or even announce intent to do so for at least X number of years to protect NVIDIA's intellectual property.
Seems more like he is tired with work with GPUs (and the thin margins) and don't want to sell the company.
The sentiment I had with his words is that he is basically opening the path for his retirement.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Blaming it on Jim Ryan somehow!

I'm mostly over it.

I do think he has made some missteps and I am cautious / nervous about the GAAS push as well as PC ports.

That said, I am happy that supply for hardware is better and I like that there are rumors of a Pro and slim version on the horizon soon.

Every organization has to learn and a big company like Sony...it sometimes takes time for feedback to reach the people in charge and then for their change in direction to take effect.