For the astronomer in you

Deleted member 38

is unimpressed
21 Jun 2022
Hello everyone, in this thread I'll be dropping different articles concerning celestial mechanics, general astronomy and sometimes bits and bobs about the game that got me into this in the beginning, Elite Dangerous.

Please understand that I am not a professional, just interested in the subject, so all the mistakes you will encounter are mine, and mine alone. I invite people like me to add to this thread if they find something interesting and decide to share.

This is one of the videos that helped a lot while learning about the celestial mechanics in Elite Dangerous quite some time ago.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 38

is unimpressed
21 Jun 2022
Jocelyn Bell Burnell was the astronomer who discovered pulsars back in 1967. She didn't get the credit at the time though simply because... she was a woman. Here's her special talk at Perimeter Institute about her 1967 discovery.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I took a picture of a moon once and crashed Kerbals into a moon! That's not nothing, right ?!
SmuWHAV.jpg

• fire
Reactions: Deleted member 38

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
The earth is flat my friends. My recommendations for further study are the IFERS forum run by Eric Dubay, and Nathan Oakley's youtube channel which has hosted daily open debates for many years now. Good starting points.

Reactions: Falcs

EbonyRainbow

They / Them
24 Jun 2022
Hello everyone, in this thread I'll be dropping different articles concerning celestial mechanics, general astronomy and sometimes bits and bobs about the game that got me into this in the beginning, Elite Dangerous.

Please understand that I am not a professional, just interested in the subject, so all the mistakes you will encounter are mine, and mine alone. I invite people like me to add to this thread if they find something interesting and decide to share.

This is one of the videos that helped a lot while learning about the celestial mechanics in Elite Dangerous quite some time ago.

Emily Levesque discusses the history of stellar astronomy, present-day observing techniques and exciting new discoveries, and explores some of the most puzzling and bizarre objects being studied by astronomers today.

Finally had some time to watch these videos! They go over my head quite a bit but I still enjoyed them so thank you for sharing and the thread!
The earth is flat my friends. My recommendations for further study are the IFERS forum run by Eric Dubay, and Nathan Oakley's youtube channel which has hosted daily open debates for many years now. Good starting points.
Lol I know your kidding but just for fun. You can debunk flat earth in like 5 seconds on youtube

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This is an excellent topic. I do have a challenge - Find more about why faster than light travel and communication may cause issues with causality, triggering a paradox (like the grandfather paradox). It's very interesting.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 38

is unimpressed
21 Jun 2022
This is an excellent topic. I do have a challenge - Find more about why faster than light travel and communication may cause issues with causality, triggering a paradox (like the grandfather paradox). It's very interesting.
There are some resources out there about that, which will leave you scratch your head even harder than before, but yes... it's crazy out there when you start to go down that rabbit hole.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
There are some resources out there about that, which will leave you scratch your head even harder than before, but yes... it's crazy out there when you start to go down that rabbit hole.

I love going down rabbit holes when it comes to astronomy and theoretical physics, even if I'm unable to understand most math they present. One of the most fascinating things for me though is how some people still think we're alone in the universe. The possibility for that being the case is so remote it's ridiculous.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 38