Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
This is all posturing and a desperate tough guy act. Microosft isnt going to circumvent the UK for activsion blizzard. Bobby is already looking for new suitors and bragging about how well the business is doing. Sarah Bond rallying the cult is, well i dont have words for that.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

The next leader of the soon to be 3rd party Xbox division, ladies and gentlemen.

The Idas post is pure cope. ABK has no intention of jeopardising their operations in a huge market on the -and I don't say this lightly - INSANE premise that the CMA wouldn't continue to pursue a block because it's "out of their jurisdiction". Wake up knuckleheads, Microsoft would still be in the UK and subject to UK law.

The only way to circumvent is to pull both companies out entirely. In totality. Not ringfence, not cordon off, not pull out a division or two and name it Schmicrosoft hoping no one notices.

Yes, MS is fucked if this doesn't go through because the reasons given by CMA would apply to any publisher and indeed any other acquisition that intersects with Azure. That's the point. The CMA are fucking Microsoft and limiting its growth through illegal and anticompetitive means.

They will not pull out of the UK because how the fuck would that look to other countries? And if anyone on earth truly thinks that the smart course of action is to ignore the laws you don't like of the nation you're trying to operate in: same answer. Other countries will accelerate their demise.

Break up Microsoft, shut down Xbox. They've invited so much scrutiny that they've set themselves on a course for absolute disaster.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yeah defintley feels like another last desperate attempt at pressuring the CMA and CAT. Everything is slowly pointing towards abk getting nervous about the deal.

I serously wonder how this goes down with the CAT when the court case kicks off in July. This isn't a good look.
I don't think it goes to court. ABK would back off before the date.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I tell you if this deal will fail, then it’s probably the end of the line for Xbox as division. Remember always when Microsoft’s President Brad Smith acted and talked overconfident, the exact opposite did occur. He did it again and I think this deal will fail. No matter how many more 3rd world countries approve (btw nothing against any nations).

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Yeah defintley feels like another last desperate attempt at pressuring the CMA and CAT. Everything is slowly pointing towards abk getting nervous about the deal.

I serously wonder how this goes down with the CAT when the court case kicks off in July. This isn't a good look.
I think the June preliminary hearing is their last opportunity to force things in their favor regarding the schedule of the appeal trial vs their cutoff date. They may also try to convince the judge to limit the reach of the CMA order as well so they can close the deal everywhere else. The CMA legal team just need to do a good enough job convincing the judge not to do that.

As far as pulling out of the UK or convincing Activision to pull out goes, I don't see them taking steps that drastic just to get a leg up on Playstation in video games.

Reactions: Puff

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I thought Idas would be neutral…seems I was wrong
Idas is just reporting and of course he's doing the double agent act because this brings a lot of traffic and attention to him and the forum.
But, tbh, I think he's not necessarily for the acquisition.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I tell you if this deal will fail, then it’s probably the end of the line for Xbox as division.
Yeah agreed. This whole acquistion seems like the last gasp for xbox.

In terms of console marketshare if we look at the sales numbers they are gonna fall behind the xbox one. The same xbox one that was a disaster.

It's a slow march to obscurity.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think the June preliminary hearing is their last opportunity to force things in their favor regarding the schedule of the appeal trial vs their cutoff date. They may also try to convince the judge to limit the reach of the CMA order as well so they can close the deal everywhere else. The CMA legal team just need to do a good enough job convincing the judge not to do that.

As far as pulling out of the UK or convincing Activision to pull out goes, I don't see them taking steps that drastic just to get a leg up on Playstation in video games.
What are they doing in June?

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
FxjjZYnX0AAdfau

Good. Leave the UK for PS and Nintendo. Idiots

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Isn't the reach of the CMA just the UK? What could the CAT judge do here to allow it be closed in other countries?

Afaik MS and ABK are the ones that have CMA as an approver for the merger, so it's actually MS and ABK that have stopped themselves closing the deal everywhere else. Also add in the fact the FTC are suing to block, just doesn't sem realistic to me they would go ahead everywhere else.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
On June 12, there's another preliminary hearing with the CAT similar to the one that happened this week.
What are they expectingt o happen? The judge pushes up the date before July and also says the CMA cant use cloud market as an excuse? Its ridiculous on the face of it that Microsoft gets two hearings with a CAT judge so soon.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
What are they expectingt o happen? The judge pushes up the date before July and also says the CMA cant use cloud market as an excuse? Its ridiculous on the face of it that Microsoft gets two hearings with a CAT judge so soon.
Why would the judge say CMA can't use cloud as a reason?