FTC Seeks to Block Microsoft Corp.’s Acquisition of Activision Blizzard, Inc.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Interesting… FTC listed the companies that are not fair game to be purchased.

d63f8ad767e90eec44d9060e47e6c6993ae648f7.jpeg

EA, Take 2, Ubisoft and Activision are the blocked ones.
I think that's the most interesting thing coming out of this. Bethesda used to be 5th before MS got them.

Ubisoft is in Europe so basically MS would control half the AAA industry devs and IPs in USA if they get Activision 😬

kaluas

3 Oct 2022
Poor Phil, guy is getting roasted on twitter, like he might need to get off that sm shit, close off his sm accounts and do what Jim Ryan does and only show up to announce games from here on out.
Today was more embarrassing for Xbox than what Jack Tretton did to em in June 2013. How do you show your face ever again, today was a horrible day for them. No show at tga, blocked from competing by gov regulators, politicians calling them out on sm..... ouch

Exactly my thoughts.

This thing with Activision is taking forever. Can't help but think that we are missing out on announcements from both companies. I fear we are gonna be missing on launches as well...

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
In a way I am glad that God of war did not win the game of the year last night, can you imagine how many hardcore Xbox fans we would have lost?

Thank god for small mercies.

thelma and louise GIF
It or Horizon will probably win at the baftas, so there's still salt to be had. I'm actually really surprised that horizon got nothing, it's a very technically impressive game

Reactions: Sircaw

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
It or Horizon will probably win at the baftas, so there's still salt to be had. I'm actually really surprised that horizon got nothing, it's a very technically impressive game

The irony is if Horizon came out last year it would have cleaned up and probably won GOTY. Its just not on the level of elden ring and ragnarok and all the playstation votes went to those two games.

They are just really cursed with bad timing.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
If anything CMA may get the push needed to block it.

They know the USA regulator is aggressively against it. So if they want to block it that puts them inline, and they aren't in this weird situation where the country where these companies are based has approved it and they haven't. I know this can happen just makes it more harder job on CMA to justify a block.

And they have enough arguments with ms future advantage of cloud/sub services if they get avb. Easy win against big tech.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Phil Spencer is horrible. Just talks pr spin and produces absolutely nothing. They still have fucking nothing until Starfield… and that’s because they bought Bethesda.

I honestly think this is shaping up to be the worst Xbox ever.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Phil Spencer is horrible. Just talks pr spin and produces absolutely nothing. They still have fucking nothing until Starfield… and that’s because they bought Bethesda.

I honestly think this is shaping up to be the worst Xbox ever.
That Initiaive studio producing nothing and needing Crystal Dynamics to help says it all

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think that's the most interesting thing coming out of this. Bethesda used to be 5th before MS got them.

Ubisoft is in Europe so basically MS would control half the AAA industry devs and IPs in USA if they get Activision 😬
Well, Ubisoft has over 40 studios around the whole world. Even if they have their headquarter in some place, these huge companies are global. When I did work there I did work from Spain but had a meeting in the Abu Dhabi office where I did met coworkers from studios located in many different places like UAE, Romania, Canada, India, China and more. The country where they have more workers is Canada.

The 4 they mentioned aren't the top 4 3rd parties, and we don't know the position of Bethesda because being private we don't have their numbers. And well, the times where they were super successful with Skyrim and Fallout 3 or 4 was many years ago, since then they haven't been that successful.

That Initiaive studio producing nothing and needing Crystal Dynamics to help says it all
All big games are codeveloped/outsource a huge chunk of their work to other studios. Typically around 80-90% of the people who works on a big AAA game isn't from the lead studio that often gets most of the marketing and PR attention. They need several studios working on a game to reduce the amount of years needed to develop it.

Many times outsourcing studios don't even appear listed in the game credits, or are briefly listed mentioning only the name of the studio or a few managers. This happens more often with localizators or art oursourcing studios who made like almost half of the art assets you see in the game.

People sometimes have the idea that cases like Ubisoft where they mention like 7 or 10 studios working on a game are rare, but they are the norm. Ubisoft is only more transparent than others, crediting everyone involved in their projects. As an example, I remember that over 20 studios worked in both Street Fighter IV and V.

Interesting… FTC listed the companies that are not fair game to be purchased.

d63f8ad767e90eec44d9060e47e6c6993ae648f7.jpeg

EA, Take 2, Ubisoft and Activision are the blocked ones.
They didn't say that can't be bought. They list them as the biggest 3rd party publishers. In fact, this is only true if you only count companies with headquarters in western countries and if you only count console gaming publishers. Because if you also count platform holders, Asian companies and PC/mobile gaming companies as an example Ubisoft goes down to almost top 20. And this is talking about public companies, there are private ones like Epic or Valve who very likely are in a high position on that ranking.

That paragraph they included there is very cherrypicked / biased.

It shows that this year has been awesome. With giants like Elden Ring and GoWR was difficult to get awards in many areas.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
If this turns to shit like it is looking like.

Phil has to go, delivery is absolute shit.
Phil should have gotten the axe along with Mattrick, he was responsible for XBox Studios from before the Bone launch and shepherded many of the cancellations, studio shutdowns, development hell situations and massively underwhelming exclusives that helped put Microsoft in last place. But Microsoft corporate culture is about spin and kissing the right asses, and nobody from the outside wanted the job of trying to turn the Bone around, so Phil the Shill failed upward.

Anyone who thinks he did his job well needs to look at the Scalebound and Phantom Dust remake fiascos. The interviews with the studio that was contracted to make Phantom Dust after it got canned were very revealing as to why MS just can't seem to do games right.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Phil should have gotten the axe along with Mattrick, he was responsible for XBox Studios from before the Bone launch and shepherded many of the cancellations, studio shutdowns, development hell situations and massively underwhelming exclusives that helped put Microsoft in last place. But Microsoft corporate culture is about spin and kissing the right asses, and nobody from the outside wanted the job of trying to turn the Bone around, so Phil the Shill failed upward.

Anyone who thinks he did his job well needs to look at the Scalebound and Phantom Dust remake fiascos. The interviews with the studio that was contracted to make Phantom Dust after it got canned were very revealing as to why MS just can't seem to do games right.
Mattrick cut was a political decision… MS needed a scape goat to tell investors what happened with Xbox One… while Mattrick become the face of failure the choices were made by a lot more executes… he was not the sole decision maker in Xbox.

Most executives from Xbox One fiasco is still in MS at full power including Uncle Phil… the executive team barely changed.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Mattrick cut was a political decision… MS needed a scape goat to tell investors the bad the results.

Most executives from Xbox One fiasco is still in MS at full power including Uncle Phil… the executive team barely changed.
And that changes nothing about my point. Phil is nothing but a PR hack who can't manage the business he is in charge of.

Reactions: Satoru and ethomaz

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Phil has to go, delivery is absolute shit.
Why? He's the best boy and had recent consumer friendly announcements like the price increase of their games and that are getting sued by the FTC, while the evil Jim Ryan announced Death Stranding 2, an Horizon 2 DLC and PC ports of TLOU and Returnal, his company was the one receiving more Game Awards (7 awards) and his console is the one that got more awards for its exclusives by far (11 awards). Evil Jimbo is the one who has to be fired, for sure xDD

Last edited:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Why? He's the best boy and had recent consumer friendly announcements like the price increase of their price and that are getting sued by the FTC, while the evil Jim Ryan announced Death Stranding 2, an Horizon 2 DLC and PC ports of TLOU and Returnal, his company was the one receiving more Game Awards (7 award) and his console is the one that got more awards for its exclusives by far (11 awards). Evil Jimbo is the one who has to be fired, for sure xDD
Just shows the difference in "fandom". Some want the best quality and shit not to be degraded by having to be on PC, others just want the industry to belong to a single company that can't release a high quality game in spite of having 30 studios.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Just shows the difference in "fandom". Some want the best quality and shit not to be degraded by having to be on PC, others just want the industry to belong to a single company that can't release a high quality game in spite of having 30 studios.
I wouldn't call to degrade something to bring to more players a game released almost 10 years ago just before they release a tv show of it, and to release on PC a couple of years later on PC a great AAAish game that couldn't have great sales and probably wasn't profitable because having a niche-ish game concept and was released exclusively to a console that still had a very small userbase.

It didn't affect the quality of the games and apparently doesn't affect their console or console game sales, in any case the effect may be the opposite: recent 1st party games like GoWR, Horizon 2 and Gran Turismo 7 were the fastest selling games in the history of these brands and gamedev studios.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It is funny to see people arguing that PC isn't impeding game devs when PS5 is punching so far above its weight class on games where the devs are using the architecture to full advantage.

Tailored code on bespoke systems will ALWAYS be capable of outstripping the performance of general-purpose hardware. Look how long it took for emulation of the PS2's graphics chip to get anywhere.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It is funny to see people arguing that PC isn't impeding game devs when PS5 is punching so far above its weight class on games where the devs are using the architecture to full advantage.

Tailored code on bespoke systems will ALWAYS be capable of outstripping the performance of general-purpose hardware. Look how long it took for emulation of the PS2's graphics chip to get anywhere.

The thing is, I've seen the argument that "this is all we'll see from these consoles" when in fact the previous gen, which was also X86 and easier to develop for, had improvements right up until the last few games. HFW on the PS4 is a substantial upgrade over HZD. TLOU PT II does things U4 can't do. SDKs evolve, developers get more acquainted with existing hardware, find different hacks, etc. Death Stranding 2 yesterday running on the PS5 was so far above anything we've seen so far it's not even funny.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The thing is, I've seen the argument that "this is all we'll see from these consoles" when in fact the previous gen, which was also X86 and easier to develop for, had improvements right up until the last few games. HFW on the PS4 is a substantial upgrade over HZD. TLOU PT II does things U4 can't do. SDKs evolve, developers get more acquainted with existing hardware, find different hacks, etc. Death Stranding 2 yesterday running on the PS5 was so far above anything we've seen so far it's not even funny.
Absolutely right.

It's funny how PC and Xbox fanboys mock Mark Cerny. when the guy has a LONG list of innovations and seemingly-impossible hardware and software products in his resume. The things he did at Atari, SEGA and as an independent consultant before Sony brought him into the fold is amazing. Crash Bandicoot wasn't possible on the PS1 without the ways he invented of doing things.

When someone of that calibre is your head of R&D for hardware, you WILL get results you wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Reactions: kaluas