HBO The Last Of Us | Review Thread

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
The Last of Us is airing weekly starting this Sunday, January 15th on HBO and HBO Max.

Metacritic: Currently 82 - Universal Acclaim

Rotten Tomatoes: Currently 100% No Consensus

Other Reviews:

Collider - A+
The Last of Us is a monumental success, and in this universe of incredible darkness, Mazin and Druckmann show us the light that makes this story so powerful.

Empire - 5/5
Comfortably the best adaptation of a video-game ever made: one that deepens the game's dystopian lore, while staying true to its emotional core. Like the game, it's a masterpiece, too.

The Telegraph - 4/5 Note: Hasn't Played the Game
At nine episodes, it feels a little long, even if it is truncated compared to its source material. But in its scale, depiction of dread and its believable vision of friendship in disaster, The Last of Us is a rare piece of television: an adaptation that makes you want to rush out and play the game.

Entertainment Weekly - B-

The scope is vast, for better (soaring vistas, extensive cityscapes) and for worse (one of the premiere's two prologues is pointless). There are big-deal guest leads. The action is fine, functional. One episode completely shifts the game's canon, but some scenes get recreated shot-for-shot. That may work best for newbies, or fans who prefer adaptations barely adapted. It contributes to the feeling of watching someone else's replay.

Reactions: Darkknight2149

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
TYaWyI7.gif

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Brasilian big newspapers are really loving the show.
It goes even more deep than the game with episodies with story of the side characters in the game.

Ohhhh and these that didn't play the game... the shows make you want to know how the game is... that is the biggest win for Sony.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Seems like I was wrong about this. I thought it was gonna be a Comic Con looking dump. This generations Mortal Kombat 2

Ive always had faith in HBO but this time I thought they were gonna get it wrong. Still not sure about the casting but sounds like a success, good job.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Couple of scenes felt like they would have been better if they lifted them directly off the game instead of the shows own unique take

- Joel and Tess meeting Marlene (and the entire Robert thing)
- Ellie revealing her bite mark, the show just rushed it in 2 and a half seconds.
- Joel didn't need to go beast mode to kill the final guard with his fists, the whole point of the scene in the game is that he barely survives that encounter thanks to Tess.
- Tess in general feels like she's been watered down compared to the game.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters