Hellblade 2 gets new look at GDC 2023

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I think it's actually an improvement over the facial animations from the 2021 footage, where there seemed to be a lack of crispness and detail in the faces, and some of the skin textures looked "waxy" (that's aside from the fact the characters could've been sweating or it was a moist environment with high dewpoint...because their skin didn't reflect that IMHO).

That said, I didn't see anything that was much of a step above HFW:

I'd say maybe there's a bit more detail in the skin textures for the Hellblade II footage, but in terms of actual animations I think HFW is still better in the faces. There are parts in the HBII footage when Senua is talking where it looks like her face is over-emoting and it creates a slight uncanny valley effect. Particularly near the end, right around when she stops talking, is where it seems most pronounced.

The opening part of the HBII trailer, before it transitions to the dark background and before Senua starts talking, actually impressed me a good bit more. If they can just work on some of the facial muscle and lip sync transitions when she talks, and get more minute facial muscle animations in whatever mo-cap tech they're using, it'd clean up a lot of the issues IMO. And would help bring the final game even closer to the reveal trailer's visuals, which still have the best facial animations by far.

So, I can see a possibility where HBII has somewhat better facial animations than HFW (which is a high bar to hit, though Burning Shores will probably outdo HFW in that area as well), but I still expect HFW to retain the graphical edge in most technical areas, specifically with things like geometric density. Part of that is just down to stylistic differences so it's not exactly a fair comparison. That said artistically speaking it's not possible to say which of the two will look better because they are both going for very different moods visually. It comes down to preference at that point.

Now when the hell is this game actually coming out?
Well I mentioned HFW above saying I think it's about equal. We are reaching a point (have reached?) where these companies can basically capture all the nuance of various facial expressions. Once you hit that point I am not sure how much better you get in that respect. So yeah, it looks really good, and it's great tech, but again, it's not a game. It'll be great to see it inside the actual game.

To quote young George Lucas "A special effect is just a means of telling a story. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing."

And that's how I feel about graphics. Graphics without gameplay is just an incredibly boring thing to me at this point. I played Metroid Fusion this past week on the Switch, and that game with its GBA graphics is still more fun than 98% of games released today with "modern" graphics. It was certainly more fun than Hellblade 1, so I imagine it's going to still be a better game than Hellblade 2.

Bottom line. If you're a PS person, don't poo-poo the visuals because it's tied to an Xbox game. But if you're an xbox person, don't hype these demos up like it's beyond anything ever seen. It's definitely not, and you would know that if you actually played some current games. :p And if you're just a general gamer my guess is your reaction is "cool" and you move on to actual products you have to play.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Well I mentioned HFW above saying I think it's about equal. We are reaching a point (have reached?) where these companies can basically capture all the nuance of various facial expressions. Once you hit that point I am not sure how much better you get in that respect. So yeah, it looks really good, and it's great tech, but again, it's not a game. It'll be great to see it inside the actual game.

To quote young George Lucas "A special effect is just a means of telling a story. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing."

And that's how I feel about graphics. Graphics without gameplay is just an incredibly boring thing to me at this point. I played Metroid Fusion this past week on the Switch, and that game with its GBA graphics is still more fun than 98% of games released today with "modern" graphics. It was certainly more fun than Hellblade 1, so I imagine it's going to still be a better game than Hellblade 2.

Bottom line. If you're a PS person, don't poo-poo the visuals because it's tied to an Xbox game. But if you're an xbox person, don't hype these demos up like it's beyond anything ever seen. It's definitely not, and you would know that if you actually played some current games. :p And if you're just a general gamer my guess is your reaction is "cool" and you move on to actual products you have to play.
I don't think the differentiating factor will be the tech/fidelity of the facial animation going forward... it will be down to the art direction to get it to look natural. The hellblade 2 footage has a little bit of uncanny valley but I think it's maybe intentional? Based on the subject matter.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Looks pretty good, but is that it?
Well, it's a tech demo of their UE5 facial animations capture and implementation. UE5 became available last year, so they are now making the game and will take a while.

GDC is a place for devs to teach each other techniques, tools, engines or best practices, to make networking and deals. Not a place focused on marketing games. They were marketing/showcasing Unreal Engine instead.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Well, it's a tech demo. UE5 became available last year, so they are now making the game and will take a while.
they making it from 2019? they said already, that they ported from UE4 to UE5. it is nothing new.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
they making it from 2019? they said already, that they ported from UE4 to UE5. it is nothing new.
No. In E3 2021 its game director said they were in preproduction, and that still had to do a meaty vertical slice before moving to full production. I assume what they did show in December 2021 was that vertical slice, which could be completed or not.

The game tech is UE5 and wasn't ready, so probably they didn't move to full production until a few months before UE5 release assuming they had priority access and could use the stuff a few months before public release. Before that, they obviously worked with UE4 because UE5 didn't exist.

Before E3 2021 they were doing preproduction (early game design, prototypes, story, researching tech or making the concept CG they shown as teaser) and/or working in other games. But the full game production didn't start until very late 2021 being super optimistic or early 2022 being more realistic.

This week they shown a tech demo video without background, if the game would have been far into development they'd have shown an ingame cutscene or something. At least a video with some game environment as background.

24 Jun 2022

For me the promise of Hellblade II is that it might play close atmospherically to some of the '80s Eastern European post-apocalyptic and dark fantasy films I've become fond of. There aren't a lot of games going for that type of thing at this scale of production value. It does seem like it'll be the type of game really carried through in large part to its atmosphere though, so if that doesn't do it for you, the game probably won't be to your tastes.

I've seen some weird AF takes from people on both sides about this. From saying the new footage is a downgrade from the 2021 gameplay (it's not), to saying HBII makes HFW look like an indie game (WTF?). It's just annoying that the worst of console warring seeps into even the actual games themselves, especially when they're exclusive to a certain console.

I don't think the differentiating factor will be the tech/fidelity of the facial animation going forward... it will be down to the art direction to get it to look natural. The hellblade 2 footage has a little bit of uncanny valley but I think it's maybe intentional? Based on the subject matter.

Yeah, I feel art direction and creative liberties are going to be the differentiating factors between the games that look "pretty good" and those that look otherworldly.

I think Ninja Theory can be one of those developers able to show that sense of smart creative choice, emphasis, restraint, etc. But some of the mouth motions in this new trailer weren't reflective of that. I've heard that maybe it was intentional to show off the tech, but I don't think they needed to do it if that was the case. Or at least, maybe show a bit more of her body's movement.

That's probably another reason I prefer the start of the new trailer versus the part that mostly mimics the 2019 footage: it was a really good display of both subtle facial animations and body movements.

This week they shown a tech demo video without background, if the game would have been far into development they'd have shown an ingame cutscene or something. At least a video with some game environment as background.

If the game were coming out anytime soon, we'd of gotten some actual gameplay by now. And I mean something more involved than what was shown in 2021. If there isn't gameplay at the June showcase, then this game probably isn't coming until late 2024 at the earliest.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: AngryRobotBees

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

Why doesn’t Ninja Theory advertise the actual gameplay? It looks nothing like this

E3 2021 Gameplay
Video-Capture-20230322-202335.jpg

Video-Capture-20230322-202328.jpg

Video-Capture-20230322-202319.jpg

Reactions: Gamernyc78

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Well, it's a tech demo of their UE5 facial animations capture and implementation. UE5 became available last year, so they are now making the game and will take a while.

GDC is a place for devs to teach each other techniques, tools, engines or best practices, to make networking and deals. Not a place focused on marketing games. They were marketing/showcasing Unreal Engine instead.
Yeah I'm just saying it seems pretty slim pickings for a tech demo

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Surely someone out the has to crare about Hellblade. Must we dispatch an expedition?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Surely someone out the has to crare about Hellblade. Must we dispatch an expedition?
Meh Hellblade 1 was OK but very repetitive and restrictive. I believe 2 will be more open but much of the same.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Is still baffles me that took them a couple years to develop the first one and 5 years later we haven't seen anything substantial from the second

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Is still baffles me that took them a couple years to develop the first one and 5 years later we haven't seen anything substantial from the second
The first one was made as an experiment with a small team and with limited resources. Almost like it was an indie game.

What makes me confused is that they went from that to a triple A game with “look at that high res clouds, face animation etc…”

So I assume a lot of pressure and expectations are being put upon the studio.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The first one was made as an experiment with a small team and with limited resources. Almost like it was an indie game.

What makes me confused is that they went from that to a triple A game with “look at that high res clouds, face animation etc…”

So I assume a lot of pressure and expectations are being put upon the studio.
I don't go by what Microsoft or the devs say, well I never take it for face value. This will still be restricted in scope/gameplay for sure but with better graphics and a little more open. We've heard tales of grandeur before, to then end up with a lump of shit like Crackdown 3. Different devs but still a common theme with games under Microsoft.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
I don't go by what Microsoft or the devs say. This will still be restricted in scope/gameplay for sure. We've heard tales of grandeur before to then end up with a lump of shit like Crackdown 3. Different devs but still a common theme with games under Microsoft.
You are right, not the first time Microsoft used very misleading information or trailers. Actually they still do trailers that turns to be nothing like the game.
I just think the game might not be even close to be 50% complete. They announced it on 2019 and I doubt they were already working on it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
You are right, not the first time Microsoft used very misleading information or trailers. Actually they still do trailers that turns to be nothing like the game.
I just think the game might not be even close to be 50% complete. They announced it on 2019 and I doubt they were already working on it.
Yes, I won't hold my breathe.