Hypothetical: ABK is approved, what should Sony's next few moves be?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Greeting Season 1 GIF by NETFLIX

If ABK is approved, what should Sony's / PlayStations response be?

Should they continue on as they are? Should they look at a particular acquisition?

Or should they make more deals with third parties?

What should their overall strategy be? Is there a direction you'd like to see them move in?

Playstation Ps5 GIF

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
They don't really need a Response IMO, as all they need to do is do what they have already done and invest into there own studios and IP.
Its always nice to think they would make a few smaller acquisition's or maybe 1 big one but its not "needed"
It well be interesting to see what happens if it does or does not happen.

iAMJeffy

29 Oct 2022
Acquire one of Square Enix, Capcom, Take Two or similar to buff up first party studios since that is all the trend these days made popular by MS 🤣

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75
P

peter42O

Sony is just going to keep doing what they've been doing. They will expand to PC, they will expand with live service games while still developing and releasing their single player games. Pretty much, business as usual.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
They could do nothing and they’d still be market leader. They have a bunch of gambles in the works already from large variety of pedigree shooter devs. I kinda want to see how that pays off before they make any more moves.

However, if there is some future with Sony owning Square Enix i doubt that would surprise anyone. They would want the Ff14 team for the same reason they wanted Bungie. To a lesser extent Konami for Castlevania and MGS IP alone but I dunno… the rest of Konami is worthless.

• brain

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Sony should just sit on their thumbs and continue signing 3rd party deals, while MS goes on to buy their way into a monopoly, of course.

• thinking_hard

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
If the deal goes through, Sony need to be proactive in acquiring at least partial stakes in some of the major publishers, particularly EA, and push for measures to ensure the content remains 3rd party and accessible to the PS platform. I think after Actiblizz the sports games combined are the most important source of annual revenue and Sony needs to protect that.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
If the deal goes through, Sony need to be proactive in acquiring at least partial stakes in some of the major publishers, particularly EA, and push for measures to ensure the content remains 3rd party and accessible to the PS platform. I think after Actiblizz the sports games combined are the most important source of annual revenue and Sony needs to protect that.
Fifa and madden cant be exclusives even if ms buys them tomorow. Sport ips re built on licencing and cant be exclusives. Waste of money. Ea s worthless without them.

Only thing they should do s focus on T2. Check if its possible to acquire 51% of shares promising gta ll stay multi. Nba must be multi. Rdr, borderlands....exclusives.
They dont need to get 100%.

Or buy 30% of shares to make them unattractive to others.
Besides that maybe cdpr. They have gog, etc. I think they would sell.

In japan mayve kadokawa. I think From s next bungie. They might try mmo with souls combat etc.

Either way they must do something imo. Cant lose mqjority of popular 3p ips.

• brain

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think they should simply continue with the strategy they currently have because they already are dominating Xbox, have been growing and are on track to grow in all their areas:
  • Having get rid of stock issues, console hardware will break gaming history records again.
  • After their PS Plus rework they highly increased their gaming subs revenue, and keep setting new records for revenue of amount of subs of gaming subs of a console maker. With more consoles sold, this number will continue increasing.
  • After excelling at single player AAA and selling over 20M with many of them, they are also betting and growing on MP GaaS. After great success of Destiny 2, MLB and GT7 pretty likely we'll also see more success than ever there with TLOU Online and new IPs from Bungie, Deviation, Firewalk or Haven.
  • They also have been hiring and acquiring in mobile, with Savage or -indirectly- Lassengle or Crunchyroll Games (they recently released Street Fighter Duel and in the past made Naruto, My Hero Academia or Attack on Titan).
  • They also have been growing all their internal development teams plus acquiring support teams, meaning that studios like SSM, ND, Guerrilla etc. will work in more teams at the same time so soon will release more normal games.
  • They also did hit a new record investing on 2nd party games for this gen recently, meaning that there are more 2nd party games coming than before.
  • They plan to have more exclusives than ever for PS5, and since most exclusives are 3rd party, it also means they are pushing more than ever in the 3rd party exclusive area.
  • They are also growing on the PC ports of old games area. The previous fiscal year it generated 80M to them and apparently it will generate them 300M this fiscal year. Since ports are very cheap, most of this is profit. They are growing here and isn't negatively affecting consoles or game sales in console.
  • They are growing in the tv and movies adaptations area: Uncharted and TLOU have been a success, and they have like a dozen adaptations more in the works.
  • PSVR2 had like 50 games at launch and has like around 100 games more announced for the first year or so. Early impressions and sales seem very positive so they may grow in this area too.
  • Recently invested in eSports: bought EVO, improved their online tournaments experience, basically all the fighting games improved their online netcode, and even made related accessories. So they may even grow here too.
I think that by continuing their current strategy they'll increase their lead over MS. Don't need to buy big publishers or big IPs.

Let MIcrosoft destroy the gaming industry.

Then Nintendo, Sega and Sony rebuilt the gaming industry.
MS is not relevant enough to destroy the gaming industry. If something, they'd destroy their game division or console.

Fifa and madden cant be exclusives even if ms buys them tomorow. Sport ips re built on licencing and cant be exclusives. Waste of money. Ea s worthless without them.

Only thing they should do s focus on T2. Check if its possible to acquire 51% of shares promising gta ll stay multi. Nba must be multi. Rdr, borderlands....exclusives.
They dont need to get 100%.
Rockstar makes a ton of money, I assume Take 2 or whoever buys them would want to keep it multi. As you mentioned, NBA2K pretty likely would also keep multi because the licensor may require it, and because makes sense.

In any case, Sony doesn't have the budget to buy them, and if they would buy them they'd keep them multi because they make these acquisitions for the money and keeping them exclusive means less money. They'd simply block exclusives for the other consoles and would keep them only exclusive maybe for game subs and bundles.

Either way they must do something imo. Cant lose mqjority of popular 3p ips.
They don't need to do anything. They outperform their direct competitor for more than 2:1, and pretty likely they won't even lose CoD. Not because of regulators, because as MS said it woudn't make finantial sense to make it exclusive and keep it away from its main revenue source.

Sony should just sit on their thumbs and continue signing 3rd party deals, while MS goes on to buy their way into a monopoly, of course.
Nah, even if they complete the acquisition Sony will continue dominating them and MS will continue with a small market share. They won't have any monopoly. Even if MS buys after EA and Take 2.

And at some point the MS higherups or shareholders will ask them to stop burning money and go instead to do something to turn their gaming division into a profitable business and if not will sell it by parts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 417

Let them have ABK, EA and Ubisoft. Take the American dross that's ruining the industry, let them crash it again, for the good of all of us and let Japan rebuild again.

Just like @Zeroing Said

• brain

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
It won't go through, but for good measure I'd buy a few pubs in their place, or at least make strategic investments to ward off competitors. They should do it anyway - Take 2 would be off the table if ABK is, so stick to the Japanese pubs, maybe CDPR to get GoG, and grab some RPG devs while they're at it.

• they're_right_you_know
D

Deleted member 417

Buy some devs that can help Sony's VR make big waves and move away from flat screen gaming

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They could do nothing and they’d still be market leader. They have a bunch of gambles in the works already from large variety of pedigree shooter devs. I kinda want to see how that pays off before they make any more moves.

However, if there is some future with Sony owning Square Enix i doubt that would surprise anyone. They would want the Ff14 team for the same reason they wanted Bungie. To a lesser extent Konami for Castlevania and MGS IP alone but I dunno… the rest of Konami is worthless.

Sony should definitely get some of those Konami IP's if they can.

I'm thinking they should see what sticks with the first bunch of GAAS games and then pull back a bit on that front and fund more single player stuff.

If Square are up to sell, I'd be down for that happening.....

But I think further investment in Kadokawa and new investment or a full acquisition of TakeTwo would be for the best.....

I think EA is too dependent on sports licenses and is too close culturally to MSFT, so just avoid them

TakeTwo is within Sony's reach financially and expands their gaming footprint substantially while giving them an absolutely massive IP they can pull from rivals if they are being attacked on any front..... or other smaller but still substantial options to punish rivals...like RDR etc.

Would also expand Sony's mobile presence a lot.

Reactions: Dabaus
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It won't go through, but for good measure I'd buy a few pubs in their place, or at least make strategic investments to ward off competitors. They should do it anyway - Take 2 would be off the table if ABK is, so stick to the Japanese pubs, maybe CDPR to get GoG, and grab some RPG devs while they're at it.

The 'If the ABK deal fails' thread is on the way...... this is what if it does go through.... :p

Have to milk the topics, ya know?!

• thisistheway
Reactions: Deleted member 417