I Think It's Time For A Showcase Consolidation

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Mortal Kombat and Alan Wake 2 gameplay already confirmed.
Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
No

Stop doing State of Plays though and lump them into May-June 2 hour showcase

And stop giving 1st Party content to Summer Games Fest and Game Awards

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75
P

peter42O

No. Prefer to keep the showcases separated. If combined into SGF, it would be like a 6 hour showcase. That's way too freaking long. Also, SGF isn't Keighley's main event - TGA is his main event.

Reactions: Bryank75
D

Deleted member 417

If Sony and Microsoft keep chasing the PC clout; even after years, if not decades of PC directly competing with consoles, then I say cancel all future consoles and just build me a closed-architecture PC for cheap.

Stick the £500 quid PS5 and XSX up your arse and give me a PC with equivalent power for £500 and I'll be a PC gamer; something that both Sony and Microsoft so desperately want me to become.

I used to buy a lot of consoles, sometimes both Xbox and Playstation, but this gen, I may as well spend £1100 on a half-decent PC rig to play indies and 4 year old console ports. At the very worst, not even bother picking up a console or any games until 2024/2025 and pick up a cheap console and free games via subscription services.

MS and now Sony, with the help of 3rd parties, seem to be hell bent on tanking console gaming.

Reactions: Airbus

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
No

Stop doing State of Plays though and lump them into May-June 2 hour showcase

And stop giving 1st Party content to Summer Games Fest and Game Awards
Over 100m people watch the Keighley Awards, mainly people who do not own a PS5. The people watching the last showcase are people who own a PS5, and that number is alot lower.

I'm expecting the cgi trailers to be in-game trailers in the Summer Games Fest so they can show two reveals of the same game without showing the same stuff.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If one thing is certain in this Earth is that Summer Game Fest is going to be disappointing like always.
Yes. The Doritos Pope said they are going to have 3 or 4 big things. This means that they'll have one, maybe two good things.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If Sony and Microsoft keep chasing the PC clout; even after years, if not decades of PC directly competing with consoles, then I say cancel all future consoles and just build me a closed-architecture PC for cheap.
Well, the current consoles already are this.

D

Deleted member 417

Well, the current consoles already are this.
I can't play steam games on PS5 or Xbox. In reality, Xbox could win the generation by releasing an XSX slim, with a deep price cut, that offers GP, EA play and Steam 'big screen mode', allowing only games that have full controller support in the library. That way you could play PS5 games on an Xbox.

MS would finish the gen with 120+ million sales.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I'm telling you guys, the twitter and gamingbible news cycle will follow along regardless. But instead of a PS blog post over here, an instagram photo over here, twitter comment there, TLOU meme pics over there, abandoned follow people on PS4 or follow games on PS5 social features.

Have a social tab up top after games and media, as well as collect together desperate bottom menu parts into a duplicated social pop-up menu or page. page.

Something like PS4 What's New page, but with left menu sidebar filters for status'/pics/video/live game stream footage/settings for management of game/friend/studio/developer/talking heads/PS blog posts.

House all manner of notifications, activity tracking/current open lobbies/live data like uploads/downloads, social messages, party chat in there too. Kill "Game Base" and turn it into the Social/Activity/Communication area. PS First for news/dev diaries/friend-building and Steaming/influencer audience building.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Prefer game to game internet reveals. Serves the games themselves better than a variety showcase of games years away.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I can't play steam games on PS5 or Xbox. In reality, Xbox could win the generation by releasing an XSX slim, with a deep price cut, that offers GP, EA play and Steam 'big screen mode', allowing only games that have full controller support in the library. That way you could play PS5 games on an Xbox.

MS would finish the gen with 120+ million sales.
Yes, you can't play Steam on PS5 or Xbox. And for a good reason.

A PC shaped console that runs Steam already was released, and were a total failure. They were named Steam Machines.

The console makers make most of their profit by selling games for their console. Outside Nintendo, mostly from digital stores. Microsoft already killed a lot of their game sales with the "day one on gamepass" initiative.

To include Steam in Xbox would further kill any profitability they'd have in Xbox, because people instead of buying their games in the MS store would buy them in Steam.

D

Deleted member 417

Yes, you can't play Steam on PS5 or Xbox. And for a good reason.

A PC shaped console that runs Steam already was released, and were a total failure. They were named Steam Machines.

Steambox didn't fail because nobody wanted them, they failed because they were released during a time of overwhelming console popularity. PC was going through one of their many lulls in popularity and offering a piece of hardware that played a limit selection of PC games that competed with a cheaper, better marketed piece of hardware that played console games; where 90% of the most popular franchises were exclusive.

The outcome wouldn't be the same today where console manufacturers are chasing PC gamers and clout. A console, PC and mobile store rolled into one device in the living room would sell so well that it would make Switch sales look like Wii U.
The console makers make most of their profit by selling games for their console. Outside Nintendo, mostly from digital stores. Microsoft already killed a lot of their game sales with the "day one on gamepass" initiative.

To include Steam in Xbox would further kill any profitability they'd have in Xbox, because people instead of buying their games in the MS store would buy them in Steam.

Microsoft could make the hardware, supply the OS (windows) and have the basic store set up on their console/pc hybrid. If they cut Steam a good deal with the % of profits taken and launched all future MS games on Steam, while taking a cut of the profits, Xbox would be the only console worth owning.

GoW, Horizon, TLoU and GT are no different from 2010 era Gears, Halo and Forza. A console and company cannot depend on just a few IP's, regardless of how hard they try and how many scummy tactics like MTX, FTP and GaaS they use to prop-up failing franchises