Japanese Games Thread - Official Thread

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Did anyone buy Octopath Traveller 2? If so, how is it?

Also, anyone planning on getting Live A Live?

I think as a JRPG noob, maybe Octopath would be the better option...

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Octopath 1 isn't a great game (its kind of a slog in places) but its perfectly acceptable for a genre newb to play, you won't find it difficult. Honestly, any and all of the big titles are. DQ XI, Persona 4 or 5, FF if it even still counts as that. Maybe not SMT V though.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

octopath 1 is probably an 8/10 game, the best thing about it is the striking visual style and presentation. the story is kind of pedestrian. It was fun enough, but imo it really lacked a certain je ne sais quois which the best jrpgs have, something about the characters never really stuck with me. maybe the story progression was too disjointed because there wasn't a particular order that you could recruit the heroes? I think one of the main draws of jrpgs is the development of interpersonal relationships between your party members.

dragon quest xi is definitely a solid recommendation for a starter jrpg. it's bog standard.

what exactly are you looking for by getting into jrpgs?

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
octopath 1 is probably an 8/10 game, the best thing about it is the striking visual style and presentation. the story is kind of pedestrian. It was fun enough, but imo it really lacked a certain je ne sais quois which the best jrpgs have, something about the characters never really stuck with me. maybe the story progression was too disjointed because there wasn't a particular order that you could recruit the heroes? I think one of the main draws of jrpgs is the development of interpersonal relationships between your party members.

dragon quest xi is definitely a solid recommendation for a starter jrpg. it's bog standard.

what exactly are you looking for by getting into jrpgs?

Well, mostly I have played the newer action JRPG's..... FFXV, VII Remake etc.

I actually have a lot of JRPG's bought and unplayed too... like Scarlet Nexus and Tales of Arise.

I also played some of the intro of Persona 5 but always seem to get distracted by new releases and so have not gotten very far.

I used to play a lot of turn based stuff on PC, so it's not really a case that I don't like turn based or anything.... I used to EV and IV train pokemon and breed moves on them and all of that stuff... so I can be patient and strategic.

But I guess I need something that will grab me at the start and propel me into the main story.... if you get what I mean?

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

Yes I double dipped, no tripled. One for Switch Retail and PS5 physical copy + Digital in PSN.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

I actually have a lot of JRPG's bought and unplayed too... like Scarlet Nexus and Tales of Arise.

I also played some of the intro of Persona 5 but always seem to get distracted by new releases and so have not gotten very far.

I used to play a lot of turn based stuff on PC, so it's not really a case that I don't like turn based or anything.... I used to EV and IV train pokemon and breed moves on them and all of that stuff... so I can be patient and strategic.

But I guess I need something that will grab me at the start and propel me into the main story.... if you get what I mean?
Play Tales of Arise. It’s a lot shorter than the older instalments. Also the Battle system is really quick.

• Shake

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

I think persona 5...um, well, after the honeymoon period its flaws become apparent. It's a looooooong game and padded out too much. Easy to spend 100+ hours, even 150+ in a single run, especially if you're not using a guide, and most of it is unnecessary to the game. i think the main draw of that game is the aesthetics of the game, particularly the music and some of the artstyle. When I played P5R I thought it was runner-up goty to FF7 Remake but with time my view of it has dimmed quite a bit. How about revisiting some of the old school jrpgs? Grandia, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VI, legend of mana, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger?

• brain

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Play Tales of Arise. It’s a lot shorter than the older instalments. Also the Battle system is really quick.

Yeah, I think it will be more inviting to me TBH...

I'll try and get into it once I have a bit of time. It's been sitting there waiting for quite some time.

How long would you estimate to complete?

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I think persona 5...um, well, after the honeymoon period its flaws become apparent. It's a looooooong game and padded out too much. Easy to spend 100+ hours, even 150+ in a single run, especially if you're not using a guide, and most of it is unnecessary to the game. i think the main draw of that game is the aesthetics of the game, particularly the music and some of the artstyle. When I played P5R I thought it was runner-up goty to FF7 Remake but with time my view of it has dimmed quite a bit. How about revisiting some of the old school jrpgs? Grandia, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VI, legend of mana, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger?
hehe...I was tempted to buy the Pixel Remaster collection but I fear it's just adding to my backlog and will just distract me from playing what I bought already...

Ugh, it's difficult to decide!

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
hehe...I was tempted to buy the Pixel Remaster collection but I fear it's just adding to my backlog and will just distract me from playing what I bought already...

Ugh, it's difficult to decide!
I would say 40 hours but I finished it in 32 hours. I think it’s dependable on your style of playing.

• fire
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Recommend to watch his video. Very good analysis to Armored Core.

That game is hype, it looks incredible!

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

You should play Tales of Arise. I love that game.

• Shake
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
So guys what shipping numbers do you expect for Final Fantasy XVI in the first week?
I say 3 million copies.

• they're_right_you_know