‘Last of Us’ Multiplayer Video Game Faces Setbacks at Sony

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I wonder if giving bungie keys to kingdom like this isn’t a mistake? Like what if they kill a project out of spite or jealousy because it might infringe on what they want to do in the future? That’s a lot of power for one company to dictate to all the others.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
At this point if sony want to be these GAAS Svengali's theyre better off buying an already established team that already has experience making them. Imagine if there was a company that was good at making single player RPG games, a niche sony doesnt have filled, and had the worlds most popular MMO at the same time, that sony already has a good relationship with? Wouldnt that be a good pick up?
Sounds like Bungie?

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I wonder if giving bungie keys to kingdom like this isn’t a mistake? Like what if they kill a project out of spite or jealousy because it might infringe on what they want to do in the future? That’s a lot of power for one company to dictate to all the others.

That's not how corporations work. If Sony loses revenue, headcount at Bungie is in as much peril as it is on PS Studios.

Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Would have changed this title as it's not really clear but I'm glad I clicked in as I was about to post this info.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I just don't understand why they didn't just release it as an addition like they did with previous games multiplayers lol. It would have worked better and they could have monetized it anyways.
You noticed the too many scale backs and studio closures caused by development hell. Never happened before in thie same scale we have now. It's all happening with Hulst. He himself will be evaluated soon.

Reactions: Danja1187

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Shrier and Grubb putting salt on the wound with their takes of what "they've heard". Perfectly timed. As it should be.

Weakness invites aggression. Stupidity has no place in this industry.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
“Sony has invested heavily in "games as a service," or video games designed to be monetized beyond their initial sales through ongoing purchases. As part of that push it asked another of its video-game studios, Seattle-based Bungie, to evaluate the games across its portfolio. Bungie raised questions about the The Last of Usmultiplayer project's ability to keep players engaged for a long period of time, which led to the reassessment.”

So Bungie canned it.

If it sees a release the original scope of the game will have changed and it will be a one and done release or addition to a TLOU2 remaster.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Just a reminder of what happend with Sony Santa Monica once they had their project canceled, the studio was almost wiped out and pretty much started from scratch.

Ain't nobody at ND going to like orders coming from Bungie, wtf...

Bungie, the guys that made Halo having a say in what happens at ND?

Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

Last edited:
Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Bungie doesn't have that say so. It's conjecture. We're dealing with a company that went through its own trials and tribulations releasing what were considered duds at release. The community carried it until it got better due to the novelty aspect at the time with the core gameplay loop being solid. Not all GAAS games will enjoy that first entrant benefit of the doubt faith from consumers. It's one of the reasons why you should not chase fads already established and instead be yourself the trendsetter of something different, as opposed to a trend follower. It's that simple. We really shouldn't either underrate or overrate Bungie. Destiny 2 went F2P for a reason - it was dying. It used that to revitalize itself and finally figure out a lasting working model - unique to Destiny which is not the same as that of Fornite etc...

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Uh, I knew Bungie did help review the PS Studios GaaS titles and I assumed that they'd use their feedbackt to improve the game, but I didn't expect that Sony would delay this one taking a lot of time to improve it.

In any case, it's better to take their time and ensure they deliver a great game than to release a Redfall.

I think this also explains why the game wasn't in the showcase.

It's a new big Naughty Dog game, they won't release a half baked broken mess, specially what happened with the TLOUP1 PC port.
No I am saying they had a working build of Factions back in 2019 and they scrapped it. They should have stayed on the path of previous games. Single player + Multiplayer addition.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Just a reminder of what happend with Sony Santa Monica once they had their project canceled, the studio was almost wiped out and pretty much started from scratch.

Ain't nobody at ND going to like order coming from Bungie, wtf...

Bungie, the guys that made Halo having a say in what happens at ND?

Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office
Bungie was the studio that helped Naughty Dog to make Uncharted 2 multiplayer engine. I guess not many people know this?

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Probably selling my PS5 next year if I don't see any blockbuster single player first party games. This is not the PS5 I bought into. Feels like Jim and Hermen have pulled a bait and switch on the fans.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Bungie was the studio that helped Naughty Dog to make Uncharted 2 multiplayer engine. I guess not many people know this?
While they were developing Halo 3: ODST and Halo Reach for Xbox? That is a pretty weird story.

edit: looked into it, you seem to be over blowing it, we don't know the extend that they helped it just that they were thanked among other devs as well.

Bungie doesn't have that say so. It's conjecture. We're dealing with a company that went through its own trials and tribulations releasing what were considered duds at release. The community carried it until it got better due to the novelty aspect at the time with the core gameplay loop being solid. Not all GAAS games will enjoy that first entrant benefit of the doubt faith from consumers. It's one of the reasons why you should not chase fads already established and instead be yourself the trendsetter of something different, as opposed to a trend follower. It's that simple. We really shouldn't either underrate or overrate Bungie. Destiny 2 went F2P for a reason - it was dying. It used that to revitalize itself and finally figure out a lasting working model - unique to Destiny which is not the same as that of Fornite etc...
Bungie fanboy Hermen Hulst listening to Bungie and putting too much faith in their word would not be surprising.

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
While they were developing Halo 3: ODST and Halo Reach for Xbox? That is a pretty weird story.

edit: looked into it, you seem to be over blowing it, we don't know the extend that they helped it just that they were thanked among other devs as well.
They helped them to make the engine / netcode. It was in their mini behind the scenes thing on the disc of game. I'm not crediting them I'm just saying both studios have collab'd before.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They helped them to make the engine / netcode. It was in their mini behind the scenes thing on the disc of game. I'm not crediting them I'm just saying both studios have collab'd before.
Well. Good for them, I want Bungie away from my PlayStation games.

I never liked them and they remind me of Epic, just a shitty company.
angry clint eastwood GIF

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
What a great way to kick off the long weekend.

Well at least the suns out, time to touch some grass as the kids say.

Reactions: nongkris