‘Last of Us’ Multiplayer Video Game Faces Setbacks at Sony

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Haven’s game getting greenlit while ND’s gets shelved makes me wonder how shit tlou mp was turning out.

I’m all for Concord and Helldivers but Haven’s game? Nah
Given how shit the average GaaS is it makes me wonder if TLoU MP wasn't actually good.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Given how shit the average GaaS is it makes me wonder if TLoU MP wasn't actually good.

Most don’t survive. The dominant games on the market are the kings of their genre. It’s not easy so no you can’t half ass it. Gameplay and gameplay concept must be top tier. People would just not play. See … Halo and lose a billion dollars.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Right. Well the original scope of the game seems to be shelved it seems.

I doubt Bungie is evaluating mt potential. Bungie is not succesful with their mts. And that’s why you see more cross promotion efforts now. Their on-going revenue comes from selling $100 of new content a year.

I doubt Marathon will have the same model either. Doesn’t require the same resources. Less in fact.
The article said they need to improve its ability to engage players over a longer period, which means how they deliver content and don't end up being a Halo Infinite

Anything about how much resource the project has sounds like a bunch of speculation. Naughty Dog were always going to be moving resources around as Druckmann's project ramps up

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Most don’t survive. The dominant games on the market are the kings of their genre. It’s not easy so no you can’t half ass it. Gameplay and gameplay concept must be top tier. People would just not play. See … Halo and lose a billion dollars.
While true, people are also waiting on a new game to come and shake things up. Fortnite and PUBG had success last gen because there was a desire for something new last gen

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Don't forget the leaked horizon multiplayer screenshot we've seen, that looks like a shitty sea of thieves clone and nothing like horizon. The future of Jim/Hermen's playstation is clear, and is one I will not buy into.

Horizon-Multiplayer.jpg

Not to mention all of these playstation studios are beholden to an evaluation by Bungie, who's still allowed to release their titles on Xbox and aren't even properly under the playstation umbrella.
God almighty have mercy on them cause I won't.

giphy.gif

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
While true, people are also waiting on a new game to come and shake things up. Fortnite and PUBG had success last gen because there was a desire for something new last gen

I very much believe that the online landscape is prime for a shake up. When Warzone started to cannabalize arena CoD that became apparent. This is where Bungie is getting lucky with the timing on marathon… again.

Monster Hunter is the huge contender. Just hope these Chinese companies don’t beat them to it.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Could be a bit more sinister than that.
What if ND's game didn't have too much of that GaaS crap?

Like what? Do you think they would support the game with content forever for free?

Even if the plan is pve game with expansions to it yearly … that’s a huge drain to the point where ND wouldn’t be able to make anything else. Quick updates and turnaround times are necessary. And a gameplay component that wants players to return. Wether it’s PvP centric or an actual endgame. Having liked it or not. Their mp never carried a game and couldn’t.

What if the drain on ND was the problem?

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Like what? Do you think they would support the game with content forever for free?

Even if the plan is pve game with expansions to it yearly … that’s a huge drain to the point where ND wouldn’t be able to make anything else. Quick updates and turnaround times are necessary. And a gameplay component that wants players to return. Wether it’s PvP centric or an actual endgame. Having liked it or not. Their mp never carried a game and couldn’t.

What if the drain on ND was the problem?
They've never been good with post launch support with their online games outside of Uncharted 3 and even that wasn't great. That was always my biggest concern for this game.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The problem is this. If Factions was supposed to be a GAAS instead of just a standalone $70 multiplayer game, then the entire studio would have to be shifted to permanent content rollout duty for that game. Think about how long it would take for a single multiplayer map at Naughty Dog levels of quality. Destiny looks decent but they need 800 employees to get out their updates.
Fortnite took ~700 people crunching, and now Epic Games has over 3000 employees. Mihoyo is over 2000 employees and look how basic Genshin looks.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
They've never been good with post launch support with their online games outside of Uncharted 3 and even that wasn't great. That was always my biggest concern for this game.

This is more of a concern now. Back when XBL first hit you didn’t need to worry about post launch support much. The landscape is different and significantly larger in both players and competition.

I don’t know how this game would’ve turned out concept wise. I’m curious tho. But to me I couldn’t imagine anything but the division meets survival game and with PvP. That is a destiny level investment to sustain studiowide.

They’ve put an end to that scope. This is what happened to Arkham Knights and I believe what happened to Suicide Squad and also Redfall as a results of it being dead on arrival. They’re one and done boxed games now.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
This is more of a concern now. Back when XBL first hit you didn’t need to worry about post launch support much. The landscape is different and significantly larger in both players and competition.

I don’t know how this game would’ve turned out concept wise. I’m curious tho. But to me I couldn’t imagine anything but the division meets survival game and with PvP. That is a destiny level investment to sustain studiowide.

They’ve put an end to that scope. This is what happened to Arkham Knights and I believe what happened to Suicide Squad and also Redfall as a results of it being dead on arrival. They’re one and done boxed games now.
Yup! I remember back during the Uncharted 3 days they accidentally let it slip out they had ONE just one guy in the entire studio handling post launch support lol.

But goes back to what I've been saying. The original project Factions 2 should have never been scrapped. Sucker Punch got it right with Ghost of Tsushima multiplayer. With how they executed it.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The problem is this. If Factions was supposed to be a GAAS instead of just a standalone $70 multiplayer game, then the entire studio would have to be shifted to permanent content rollout duty for that game. Think about how long it would take for a single multiplayer map at Naughty Dog levels of quality. Destiny looks decent but they need 800 employees to get out their updates.
Fortnite took ~700 people crunching, and now Epic Games has over 3000 employees. Mihoyo is over 2000 employees and look how basic Genshin looks.
CoD over 3500.
That's why it was insanity make those gaas games, both idiots at the helm, instead of double down on the strenght of PS, idiots double down on gaas shit and cutted the tree branch on which their were sitting. It is glorious to watch how its all unfolding.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
100% getting the Arkham Knights treatment.

Game is delayed officially. Not cancelled. Strange to delay an unannounced game but still…

The scaling back and talent shift rumors indicate that the service aspect has been scrapped. It didn’t make the cut. And it’s clear neither did Deviation’s game.

A game like this would actually have an increasing dev team closer to release. It’s uncharacteristic to move to new project as it’s winding down per se — that’s not happening with these games. Players want quick turnaround time for updates and new content.

What this means is that it’s being shipped as a one and done boxed game unless it does indeed get cancelled further down the line. But at this moment that’s not true…
Very possible.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Sony cannot release this as a 7/10 GaaS game, this needs to be a 9/10 Banger or go home so it’s understandable to a degree. It would reflect poorly on the brand, the ip, and the strategy.

However the “scaling back team” if true bodes poorly on the project, which is also not too surprising in hindsight - making a game that is endlessly repetitive and good is like trying to bottle lightning.

9/10 or cancel.

• brain

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Sony cannot release this as a 7/10 GaaS game, this needs to be a 9/10 Banger or go home so it’s understandable to a degree. It would reflect poorly on the brand, the ip, and the strategy.

However the “scaling back team” if true bodes poorly on the project, which is also not too surprising in hindsight - making a game that is endlessly repetitive and good is like trying to bottle lightning.

9/10 or cancel.
I think it is best to launch a game that has good gameplay loop and have like five modes. And then also have good roadmap for the game that they can deliever on time on all parts. That will be much easier to do and manageable than have everything set on day one. Naughty Dog will have more flexibility to do what's best for the game.
No live service has all things day one. Kind a like Halo Infinite but acutally deliver on your promises.