Microsoft cancels “Keystone” streaming stick/device

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
https://9to5google.com/2022/10/26/xbox-keystone-cloud-gaming/

Keystone was something that we were incubating internally. Late spring we pivoted to working with Samsung. I still have the prototype… will we do a streaming device at some point? I expect we will, but it's years away

They say they may revisit the idea in the upcoming years but nothing is currently in development.

24 Jun 2022
Might be a missed opportunity. I kinda read it as "We may bring it to market at a future date.", and I don't think 'years' means literal 'years' in the context of his answer.

But if they're going to stick with Series S, maybe look to bring BOM & production costs on it down and maybe make it an optional target devices for 1P & 3P developers WRT native gaming (i.e they can opt to bring content to it via cloud only), then that could ultimately make Project Keystone redundant. Question is how much lower can they realistically get a Series S, keeping the same specs, and be able to sell it at $199 or even $149? I don't think that's going to be possible.

So if they just make a model in the future with the same APU but, say, disables half the CUs, clocks the remaining ones lower, cuts down the RAM, cuts down the storage capacity, clocks down the CPU cores...well that might as well be a retail Project Keystone no? It's not like you can use it to run games at Series S levels natively, even if the APU is basically the same.

P

peter42O

Instead of a streaming only box, they would be better off just getting the Game Pass App on Smart TV's and whatnot and just stream games to the TV through the App. Would only require the cost of the controller and since TV's have sensor's for the remote controls, they could always try to use the controller via the sensor. At least, that's what I would try to do.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I remember when psnow was on smart tvs. As usual Xbox late to the party. Sony eventually dropped support. I think Xbox needs to put their resources into getting their house cleaned up and refined first, with Good games coming out consistently.before thy delve into this type of stuff.

Reactions: Kyoji

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
Anything going wrong with streaming games is great for me

Fx Yes GIF by Atlanta

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The great thing about vague promises of great things coming sometime in the future is that wording the promises vaguely enough lets you claim the promise is still valid, and people need to keep waiting.

Next year is always MS' best year of games ever and the year of the Linux desktop!

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The great thing about vague promises of great things coming sometime in the future is that wording the promises vaguely enough lets you claim the promise is still valid, and people need to keep waiting.

Next year is always MS' best year of games ever and the year of the Linux desktop!
After all their false promises idk how the fuck ppl still give them benefit of the doubt especially since they even can't get their staple ips to be standouts anymore e.g. Halo.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
After all their false promises idk how the fuck ppl still give them benefit of the doubt especially since they even can't get their staple ips to be standouts anymore e.g. Halo.
Dude, there are still people who honestly believe that XBone DRM would have allowed transferable digital licensing. If they swallowed that shit and still believe it, they're going to fall for ANYTHING.

Reactions: Gamernyc78