Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
They didn’t.

Most corporations don’t conduct themselves in the embarrassing way that MS does, but then most corporations didn’t have a psychotic bully like Steve Ballmer at the top from day one to help toxify their corporate culture into basically being as close to a horde of rabid gorillas as humans can get, either!
I'm trying to see if there were any other cases of companies leaning heavily on public pressure as part of their strategy with regulators. Nvidia didn't seem to try that either with their ARM deal, though it seemed like that deal got even stronger pushback from regulators than this deal has so it probably wouldn't have mattered. Kinda hard to paint any sort of picture of historical trends with deals like this one atm, though apparently a resetera poster claims to have looked up 41 cases the cma looked at and they only accepted behavioral remedies as the sole solution in one case. (grain of salt)

Also, in the Nvidia ARM deal, it seems like they also made promises that they wouldn't block competitors from using the ARM chips and still weren't able to convince regulators, though that deal had some differences from this one.

Last edited:

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I'm trying to see if there were any other cases of companies leaning heavily on public pressure as part of their strategy with regulators. Nvidia didn't seem to try that either with their ARM deal, though it seemed like that deal got even stronger pushback from regulators than this deal has so it probably wouldn't have mattered. Kinda hard to paint any sort of picture of historical trends with deals like this one atm, though apparently a resetera poster claims to have looked up 41 cases the cma looked at and they only accepted behavioral remedies as the sole solution in one case. (grain of salt)

Also, in the Nvidia ARM deal, it seems like they also made promises that they wouldn't block competitors from using the ARM chips and still weren't able to convince regulators, though that deal had some differences from this one.
Regarding public pressure.

CMA in their PF disregarded the 85% of public sending them emails basically supporting the deal. Reason why was most where just sending emails saying they wanted more games on gamepass and not actual good arguements for the deal. So CMA do have some spine to not bend to public pressure, but will have to wait and see if they also brush away the latest antics.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Regarding public pressure.

CMA in their PF disregarded the 85% of public sending them emails basically supporting the deal. Reason why was most where just sending emails saying they wanted more games on gamepass and not actual good arguements for the deal. So CMA do have some spine to not bend to public pressure, but will have to wait and see if they also brush away the latest antics.
The regulators are smart enough to know that nvidia et al. who were formerly opposed to the deal are now only for the deal because Microsoft is offering them material benefits (aka bribing them). Bribes don't solve the fundamental issues brought up by the regulators.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The regulators are smart enough to know that nvidia et al. who were formerly opposed to the deal are now only for the deal because Microsoft is offering them material benefits (aka bribing them). Bribes don't solve the fundamental issues brought up by the regulators.
That is why the “If Sony takes a deal, the merger will go through!” crowd is out to lunch.

Sony accepting a token bribe doesn’t stop the merger from being dangerous to the market, quite the opposite.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
That is why the “If Sony takes a deal, the merger will go through!” crowd is out to lunch.

Sony accepting a token bribe doesn’t stop the merger from being dangerous to the market, quite the opposite.
Fuck the merger. Maybe MS will actually make some cool games finally

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
They used to be cool with 360, maybe they can get their mojo back. It truly is pathetic at the moment
They lost their “cool” mid gen with Kinect and focusing on 3rd party multiplayer games…

They were never cool, they had a short phase of being alone in the new generation, enhanced by Sony messing up.

That is why nobody should ever trust multi million corporations who main business does not depend on gaming, they do not care about gaming.

Oh look it’s that guy who once said Europe was a country!

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
They lost their “cool” mid gen with Kinect and focusing on 3rd party multiplayer games…
star wars dancing GIF

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
They used to be cool with 360, maybe they can get their mojo back. It truly is pathetic at the moment
Xbox's decisions with the XB1 and at the tail end of the 360 era hurt them far worse than any exclusive deal Sony signed ever could, just like Sony's initial PS3 rollout hurt them severely. This is why I find the argument that there's been no real competition for the last 20 years ridiculous. You basically just have to wait for your opponent to screw up and then take advantage.

Last edited:

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Sony did speak at the hearing with the EC, considering alot the nonsense MS where putting out, sony should have easily been able to debunk them.

I have no idea what format they spoke so maybe they didn't get a chance, but we joe schmoes can see thorugh shit, sony lawyers would have a field day.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Sony did speak at the hearing with the EC, considering alot the nonsense MS where putting out, sony should have easily been able to debunk them.

I have no idea what format they spoke so maybe they didn't get a chance, but we joe schmoes can see thorugh shit, sony lawyers would have a field day.
From what I've gathered, MS got 45 minutes, Sony got 30 and everyone else got 15 to speak. Apparently Brad Smith did the whole pulling the contract out of his pocket stunt in the closed hearing as well.

Interested to see how the CMA hearing goes. Apparently for that one, each party speaks on different days.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

The fact that all of Brad Smith's arguments were widely known before this hearing, the 10 year agreement he's parading around, I'm sure Sony's lawyers wiped the floor with them. The 10 year agreement clearly did nothing to persuade the CMA thanks to Sony's arguments, I doubt the EU would be any different. MS have decided to turn this into a PR circus which doesn't bode well if they thought there chances were good.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
The fact that all of Brad Smith's arguments were widely known before this hearing, the 10 year agreement he's parading around, I'm sure Sony's lawyers wiped the floor with them. The 10 year agreement clearly did nothing to persuade the CMA thanks to Sony's arguments, I doubt the EU would be any different. MS have decided to turn this into a PR circus which doesn't bode well if they thought there chances were good.
I feel like the install base argument won't work as well in regions where Xbox isn't as far behind like the US and UK to add to your point.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Though if we go with strictly the install base argument, I could see the EU approving the deal, but the CMA ultimately saying no due to requiring remedies that MS are unwilling to adhere to.