Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I temporarily decided to scan the era thread for any semi-informative posts. This poster is self-admittedly biased in favor of the deal because they have a lot of money invested in ABK and wants to cash out, but they had some interesting takes on how difficult it would be to get the CMA on board with behavioral remedies.

Screenshot_20230225_084728_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230225_084758_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230225_084822_Chrome.jpg

That thread generally seems to think that the EU will accept light behavioral remedies because of how many parties seem to be in favor of the deal and the EC's general attitude about these remedies vs the cma. I personally am still interested to see what the cma say. Era also thinks that the CTA can just shoot down any decisions to block from the cma and make them redo the case in favor of it, but that isn't the trump card they think it is for mutiple reasons imo. Either way, I'm resuming my break from that cesspool.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I temporarily decided to scan the era thread for any semi-informative posts. This poster is self-admittedly biased in favor of the deal because they have a lot of money invested in ABK and wants to cash out, but they had some interesting takes on how difficult it would be to get the CMA on board with behavioral remedies.

View attachment 670View attachment 671View attachment 672

That thread generally seems to think that the EU will accept light behavioral remedies because of how many parties seem to be in favor of the deal and the EC's general attitude about these remedies vs the cma. I personally am still interested to see what the cma say. Era also thinks that the CTA can just shoot down any decisions to block from the cma and make them redo the case in favor of it, but that isn't the trump card they think it is for mutiple reasons imo. Either way, I'm resuming my break from that cesspool.
It is like saying that Hitler would have got accepted and what he was doing if Lenin, Stalin, Musolini was supporting him.
It was so Pro Consumer for Germany.

It is clear as day that m$ bribed all these companies and laughing at regulators faces.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
It is like saying that Hitler would have got accepted and what he was doing if Lenin, Stalin, Musolini was supporting him.
It was so Pro Consumer for Germany.

It is clear as day that m$ bribed all these companies and laughing at regulators faces.
Out of the big 3 western regulators, the EU seems to have taken the softest stance on this deal from the beginning. Deals are deals, this IS business after all.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Also, how long before the green mafia comes after this man?

Burn Him Stephen King GIF by Arrow Video

Pitchforks at the ready!

• fire
Reactions: AshHunter216

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Yep and yep. If the CMA budge and accept the deal with just the lightest of behavioral concessions, they will look weak to all companies in the future. Same with the EC and FTC, but the warriors don't seem to understand this and won't understand until some company takes something away from Microsoft (that they feel Microsoft should have or should have bought instead).

Imagine being the company that could set a precedent of galvanizing an unhinged public to force regulators into a decision out of fear of public outcry (or worst), instead of due to the actual merits of the deal and its impact on the market. That would be a legacy you could never shake off.
I haved no idea what the future of the CMA is in regards to them of being more accepting of behavioral remedies, but assuming they do accept behavioral remedies and go against their own judgment, then that would also be anoother precedent. Microsoft single handedly will force a change in how the CMA works.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Out of the big 3 western regulators, the EU seems to have taken the softest stance on this deal from the beginning. Deals are deals, this IS business after all.
Which is really surprising, the behaviour of microsoft is exactly the type of of stuff i thought the EU would stamp down on big tech companies for.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Which is really surprising, the behaviour of microsoft is exactly the type of of stuff i thought the EU would stamp down on big tech companies for.
Yeah, either MS have been lobbying them hard over many years or Playstation have just done so well in the EU territory that it has become a liability for them in situations like this.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
  • fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Funny how he says a lot of the same things I’ve been saying.
It also underscores how much their recent decision to throw enough money around to buy all of their competitors sets a bad precedent that will affect the future of the industry if allowed.

I am curious if any of the regulators are aware of this perspective. It seems like the CMA at least sort of touched on the concerns of MS using their massive financial resources to deeply entrench themselves in the gaming services market before anyone else is able to.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It also underscores how much their recent decision to throw enough money around to buy all of their competitors sets a bad precedent that will affect the future of the industry if allowed.

I am curious if any of the regulators are aware of this perspective. It seems like the CMA at least sort of touched on the concerns of MS using their massive financial resources to deeply entrench themselves in the gaming services market.
As I’ve said, and as that article says, none of MS’ theatrics mean shit to the regulators, as they don’t address the core problems with the merger.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Also, how long before the green mafia comes after this man?

I know this is just an opinion pice but this quote is what i find shocking

This is the side of the argument that Microsoft is desperately trying to distract everyone from – and that may well be a winning strategy

What kind of self respecting regulator would fall for distraction against key concerns? Good fucking grief. If the EC drop any of their key concerns the regulatory process is a goddamn joke.

D

Deleted member 417

There are some background tensions going on at the moment between EU and US. I do wonder if Microsoft will use its' reach at home to push through some deals favouring the EU, if the EU let the MS purchase go ahead. That's big picture wrapped in tinfoil territory, but who knows?

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I know this is just an opinion pice but this quote is what i find shocking

What kind of self respecting regulator would fall for distraction against key concerns? Good fucking grief. If the EC drop any of their key concerns the regulatory process is a goddamn joke.
Yeah, if regulators like the CMA are somehow convinced that MS is some scrappy underdog of a company in all of this, they have not done their due diligence.

Here's hoping they're looking into the big picture of this deal, because if the industry turns into a battle of who can afford to buy the most/biggest publishers, only companies the size of Microsoft could stay relevant after a few years.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
There are some background tensions going on at the moment between EU and US. I do wonder if Microsoft will use its' reach at home to push through some deals favouring the EU, if the EU let the MS purchase go ahead. That's big picture wrapped in tinfoil territory, but who knows?
That’s just plain silly to even consider possible.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yeah, if regulators like the CMA are somehow convinced that MS is some scrappy underdog of a company in all of this, they have not done their due diligence.

Here's hoping they're looking into the big picture of this deal, because if the industry turns into a battle of who can afford to buy the most/biggest publishers, only companies the size of Microsoft could stay relevant after a few years.
Have you actually READ the Provisional Findings from the CMA?

Do that. Now. Then ask yourself if they seem like MS can convince them of ANYTHING at this point in time.

• Informative

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Have you actually READ the Provisional Findings from the CMA?

Do that. Now. Then ask yourself if they seem like MS can convince them of ANYTHING at this point in time.
Yep, but section 44 here is the sticking point for me personally. It seems like they left them a bit of a gap for this, though I've heard that MS's showy public approach with these licensing deals may annoy the CMA quite a bit, as well as them deciding that what they've done so far won't address concerns and are just hollow gestures that don't require them to make any real sacrifices. I'm also wondering if they will feel pressured to approve if the EU give their thumbs up.

Screenshot_20230225_132139_Drive.jpg

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Yep, but section 44 here is the sticking point for me personally. It seems like they left them a bit of a gap for this, though I've heard that MS's showy public approach with these licensing deals may annoy the CMA quite a bit, as well as them deciding that what they've done so far won't address concerns and are just hollow gestures that don't require them to make any real sacrifices. I'm also wondering if they will feel pressured to approve if the EU give their thumbs up.

View attachment 674
I've always looked at the sentence as CMA covering their backs, if MS tried to appeal with the argument that CMA didn't give them any other alternatives or a chance. Just reading the section above says it all really, they absolutely do not want behavioural remedies by itself.

Now we just gotta wait and see how much spine CMA have.

Last edited:
  • thisistheway
Reactions: AshHunter216