Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Not really, Blockbuster died more so because of horrible business models and probably the biggest reason was Redbox. Why drive all the way to a Blockbuster when there is a Redbox kiosk at virtually every corner with the same movies.

The comparison is still off. You can buy games online on PS and play them through Sony services too. If a person has no attachment to physical copies, there's no reason to leave your house to access games on either system.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Not really, Blockbuster died more so because of horrible business models and probably the biggest reason was Redbox. Why drive all the way to a Blockbuster when there is a Redbox kiosk at virtually every corner with the same movies.
I dont normally engage with Microsoft employee, astroturf, paid for bot farms who dont game like yourself, but since you quoted me...Red box was the precursor to netflix no? Comparing red box to playstation who is more popular than xbox is comparing apples to oranges. I think you astroturfers would get a little more respect if you all just came clean and admitted this is about your hatred of all things sony and wanting to put them out of business.

I dont enjoy being so mean spirited but the way microsoft and its astroturfers spin consolidation as a good thing is Orwellian.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Netflix started out as a rent-by-mail DVD service. They offered to let Blockbuster buy them out, and were laughed at by Blockbuster's CEO, then they started getting into streaming. They were already a threat to BBV's business model before streaming was a thing due to the convenience of having the disc you wanted to rent dropped in your mailbox rather than going to the store and hoping what you wanted was stocked at that location, and not already rented out or stolen when you got there. Streaming increased their reach, but their initial business was a direct competitor to Blockbuster, just Blockbuster was too short-sighted and narrow-minded to see the disruption coming.

Reactions: laynelane

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
I dont normally engage with Microsoft employee, astroturf, paid for bot farms who dont game like yourself, but since you quoted me...Red box was the precursor to netflix no? Comparing red box to playstation who is more popular than xbox is comparing apples to oranges. I think you astroturfers would get a little more respect if you all just came clean and admitted this is about your hatred of all things sony and wanting to put them out of business.

I dont enjoy being so mean spirited but the way microsoft and its astroturfers spin consolidation as a good thing is Orwellian.

I’m going to ignore most of this word diarrhea. Please take more time in the future to gather your thoughts cohesively before posting 👍

Netflix was around before Redbox. But video by mail isn’t what killed Blockbuster. Redbox having movies cheaper and easier access is what killed Blockbuster, plus their horrible business decisions like pricey late fees and not buying Netflix when given the chance.

There was nothing wrong with the comparison.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
I’m going to ignore most of this word diarrhea. Please take more time in the future to gather your thoughts cohesively before posting 👍

Netflix was around before Redbox. But video by mail isn’t what killed Blockbuster. Redbox having movies cheaper and easier access is what killed Blockbuster, plus their horrible business decisions like pricey late fees and not buying Netflix when given the chance.

There was nothing wrong with the comparison.
he exposed you as you are so your response its just pure damage control,and a very mediocre one .,and as always mediocre its the perfect word to encapsulate all you attemps to astroturf ms on this forum

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Another child who types out angry diarrhea 😆

Why would anyone come to this place to astroturf for Xbox? Some of you seem allergic to logic and reason.

Exposed 😆😆😆

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Another related point is how often MS brings up Sony in their public statements on this acquisition. It's unsurprising their warriors, influencers, astroturfers, etc. are constantly blaming Sony for every perceived issue with this deal. I wonder if that's the only reason MS pushes that narrative so hard, though.
Microsoft needs to build an artificial narrative that Sony is not on top through providing what customers want better than MS does, but through the kinds of means MS itself has employed over the years, or the whole notion that their buying up publishers to protect and improve gaming will be seen as the utter bullshit it really is.

P

peter42O

Microsoft bringing COD to Nintendo via a 10 year commitment once the ABK deal closes. Microsoft has also committed to continue to bring COD to Steam.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Microsoft needs to build an artificial narrative that Sony is not on top through providing what customers want better than MS does, but through the kinds of means MS itself has employed over the years, or the whole notion that their buying up publishers to protect and improve gaming will be seen as the utter bullshit it really is.

They may also be laying the groundwork in the event the acquisition fails or isn't passed concession-free. Shift all blame and responsibility from themselves to an undeserving third party. It also helps draw attention away from the arrogant attitude they had about it at the beginning and their boasting about how 'they're not done yet' (with acquisitions) only a few months ago. It all comes across as quite unprofessional. I understand fans who may not know better and so have lifted up the 'blame Sony' banner, but MS does know better and so it really stands out.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Seems the longer Sony holds out the more ground MS gives up. Nintendo, the CWA and Valve should be thanking Jim for all that they have just gained from MS. You think if Sony had not disputed the merger MS would be giving up so much ground.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Im surprised more people arent talking about microsofts president saying sonys objections are like block buster complaining about netflix. Didnt netflix put blockbuster out of business? Why would you use that analogy? Surely sony lawyers saw that and are running with it.
Seems the longer Sony holds out the more ground MS gives up. Nintendo, the CWA and Valve should be thanking Jim for all that they have just gained from MS. You think if Sony had not disputed the merger MS would be giving up so much ground.

No, Sony bad and evil.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
MS got where they are by pulling a long con on IBM and another on Apple. Why do you expect any honesty from them?

I don't. I thought I had made that rather clear. What I'm speaking about is how many people seemingly do and also how such beliefs are orchestrated.