Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Microsoft has entered into a 10-year commitment to bring Call of Duty to @Nintendo following the merger of Microsoft and Activision Blizzard King.  Microsoft is committed to helping bring more games to more people – however they choose to play. @ATVI_AB

I'm also pleased to confirm that Microsoft has committed to continue to offer Call of Duty on @Steam simultaneously to Xbox after we have closed the merger with Activision Blizzard King. @ATVI_AB @ValveSoftware

• Informative
Reactions: laynelane

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
And Microsoft has NEVER, EVER broken any promises or violated any contracts or government orders int the past. Certainly not dozens of times, and they’ve only ever acted in the best interests of their customers! /s

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
“Activation blizzard doesn’t need Microsoft’s help to port cod to any platform. They could’ve always done this at any time. This is a shallow, desperate move at the 11th hour to appease regulators.” -Something Sony could say or something like it.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Don't believe so. I don't even think Nintendo had responded yet.

Either way it seems like Microsoft is really trying to play up what "good guys" they are to regulators.
Empty promises... if there's anything Phil is good at, it's that.
Let's hope that at least the few regulators which are not corrupt out there are also smarter than this.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Empty promises... if there's anything Phil is good at, it's that.
Let's hope that at least the few regulators which are not corrupt out there are also smarter than this.
I don't have much faith in the ftc. If anything is going to happen, it'll be the European regulators.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
They sure are making *a lot of deals for something they don't own yet.
That could actually get them in trouble with the FTC. You’re not allowed to make decisions for the company you’re trying to buy until the merger is approved. That’s part of why Kotick wasn’t fired when the investigation into his misconduct wrapped up and presented its findings.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Not deals, "commitments".

Was anything actually signed?
MS doesn't to sign anything to publish games wherever they want unless MS asked PS, Nintendo and Steam in these 'deals' something in exchange to publish CoD there.

Like any other publisher they can submit any game they want and as happens with any big publisher they will be published.

It's more like a promise of a politician, a claim not needed and that doesn't require to sign anything to 'prove their commitment', but I assume it's made to try to get more chances of getting the acquisition allowed by the regulators.

In fact, the regulators didn't requested it and to claim something in Twitter doesn't mean that they'll maket it happen, MS could change their mind tomorrow and nothing would happen.

Probably is a PR stunt to justify on front of their fans that CoD won't be console exclusive using a false 'regulators forced us to make concessions (when no regulator asked for them, at least until now)' claim as excuse.

At least one of the regulators already highlighted that MS claiming that they'd keep releasing CoD on PS didn't mean a shit because they said the same about Bethesda before, but later Starfield and Redfall were -at least until now- announced as console exclusive.

So at least one of the regulators will ignore this claim. And well, as Valve mentioned MS doesn't need to make such commitment, they (and any other platform holder) will publish on their store any game submitted by MS without needing any commitment or signed deal.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
They’re trying to pull a crossplay PR by going to Nintendo.

The FTC and CMA are not falling for this bullshit.
It is hilarious that they would think this will save anything after their arrogant PR over the course of the year and the whole Starfield exclusivity fiasco. The declaration that they weren't finished buying out publishers before the ABK deal was approved was pretty unwise, too.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Smokescreen. That being said, the more regulators and sony argue the better it gets for us all.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I don't. I thought I had made that rather clear. What I'm speaking about is how many people seemingly do and also how such beliefs are orchestrated.
Just look at the traction "SONY TOO!" got among the weak-minded once the paid-off press started making the accusation that PS4 would have the same overactive DRM that the Bone was originally going to employ, or how many suckers fell for Phil's "We were totally gonna let you sell digital game licenses, but the mean bullies made us cancel our DRM plans" bullshit. If they had intended that from the start, wouldn't it have come out with the rest of the details of their plans?

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: laynelane

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Makes you wonder. I don’t think their windows store would be able to compete with steam, even by trying to sway users over with Gamepass… Well, not until they buy a few more publishers of course. Sigh…

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think Sony is smart playing hardball but I hope they have some aces up their sleeve/contingency plans.
-Put a ring on square enix or at least formally invest in them with stock purchases.
-Do the same with capcom.
-maybe try to buy like 50 percent of ea or take 2?
-Continue to invest in fromsoft ware and epic games
-Acquire smaller studios they’ve been working with.

Whether this deal goes through or not this is the era of consolidation and Sony is going to have to accept that at some point. Focus on key companies and Franchises too big too lose and Formally invest in those companies while continuing to organically grow their own first party.