Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

daniel5043

Veteran
19 Jan 2023
There has been a pretty funny duel of accusations of bias in regards to these regulators though. I remember one article I posted a while back in this thread had the author mention that MS has been lobbying the EU for years to rule favorably on their actions whereas inversely, Michael Pachter accused the CMA of being in Sony's back pocket.
They think the cma is ruling for Sony because Jim Ryan is British

24 Jun 2022
Idas posted something not that long ago. Basically the eu dropped their concern of console effects because of…nvidia which isn’t a console? Also ms is betting on the eus decision will put pressure on the cma, but the eu is supposed to tell us what they think a month after the cma does so that doesn’t make sense to me. At the end it is implied that the cma is still going to block it regardless. Sounds like a lot conjecture, innuendo, and hopium.

Like I said, the eu dropped concern of console effect’s because of nvidia…not Nintendo? That doesn’t even make sense which makes me question the whole thing, hence my theory of the full court press this week topping it off with shotgun strategy of fake news to end the week.

It somewhat feels like the EC's delay is purposeful because I don't think they're as team-MS as the public charade of reports and influencers make it out to seem. And, I get the feeling all of these 10-year deal offers by MS, unbeknownst to them, are setting them into a trap. It's like a hidden test, and they're failing horribly but are too doped up to notice it yet.

If you were to believe Era in the early PS5 days, the Series S was a sure success and PS5 was doomed. Really, they tried to push hard that narrative.
There was the nonsense Jim Ryan hate for no reason.
And some users were trying to make the perception around exclusives to be negativa.
@thicc_girls_are_teh_best remember there was a user on Era, Mercury something, that kept making negative threads over and over and then it all imploded when they made a thread about HFW being forgotten (https://www.resetera.com/threads/it...-west-came-out-and-was-just-forgotten.588536/)
The thread was a huge backfire, the users were mad about how this person was doing this over and over and, guess what, they didn't get banned even though they were clearly warring.
The point is: Era has a clear Xbox moderation that glosses over the Bots console warring and try to create a narrative that ultimately blows over when reality creeps in.

Oh snap 😂MercuryLS, yep I remember them now. I think you pointed this one out to me way back; dude was absolutely mental with their PS hateboner. The amount of effort they put into those threads was like a ringworm patient spewing diarrhea: easily sprayed shit all over the place of garbage substance. He even admitted he didn't play the game yet in the OP, yet somehow it was able to fester into a 24-page thread?

I can tell you right now, there are some very particular people on "the list" that when this ABK stuff is over with, I never want to see anything from again. I don't care if they stop with their shit takes, don't care if they "switch sides" (what worth would it be? They'd just bring that same crap energy with them), whatever. They've shown themselves to not be worth engaging with or worth listening to. So that automatically means all of the Xbox influencers are getting blocked one way or another, same with some of these "lawyers" and analysts, journalists, extreme fanboys/fangirls etc.

Like at some point it goes from being funny to seeing their BS to realizing they become so unhinged and filled with genuine hatred towards a certain piece of plastic...and Microsoft can take the blame for enabling almost all of it with how they've handled their public display for getting the ABK deal approved. The only way I'm supporting any of their content going forward is by abusing $1 loopholes the same way idiots on ResetERA who claim to love Game Pass but aren't willing to stop abusing loopholes, keep getting access to it.

I NEVER want to go through this acquisition BS leeching on gaming discussion like a parasite, ever again. And if the industry shoots off into mass consolidation because of this, if MS want to keep buying their way to the top, so be it. I'll just happily step away from supporting the industry as it spirals towards its own death.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Remember when Microsoft was trying to pressure the eu to rule quickly to put pressure on the ftc and the cma but the eu continues to delay now til the end of May? MS for whatever reason perceives the eu as the weakest link to put pressure on the others but they keep delaying while the other have had set dates and eu keeps going past those dates, And yet somehow Microsoft is winning.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
It somewhat feels like the EC's delay is purposeful because I don't think they're as team-MS as the public charade of reports and influencers make it out to seem. And, I get the feeling all of these 10-year deal offers by MS, unbeknownst to them, are setting them into a trap. It's like a hidden test, and they're failing horribly but are too doped up to notice it yet.

Wait, what happened? Why delay? Thought that EU will easily approve this

24 Jun 2022
Here's a question, since I've seen some folks on Twitter see it as a positive for the deal going through:

The EU has delayed its decision into May since apparently "Sony no longer has a leg to stand on", concerning some arguments, as some folks on Twitter have been saying. If that were true, the decision should be easier to make. In that case, why delay it at all?

Exactly. If anything it shows Sony probably has more of a leg in this than certain parties would like to admit. Now, the EC could still rule in Microsoft's favor and let them get away with slap-on-the-wrist behavioral remedies, and that would be a mistake IMHO.

But the ones thinking this is a slam-dunk for Microsoft are always the ones I most love seeing cry when something like December 8th pops up to remind them of reality. They can stand with the humility.

According to MS, CMA made wrong calculations in their reports (about Sony COD players) and once the numbers are corrected they won't have a reason to block the deal anymore.

Is it true they made a mistake?

Highly doubt it. MS love gaslighting regulators; keep in mind they think these people are ignorant when it comes to the gaming market and that they themselves (Microsoft) are never wrong.

Despite they have a 20+ year console gaming legacy filled with proof of them being wrong.

By the way, does anybody remember the articles about "Microsoft never saying that they wouldn't make Bethesda games exclusive"?

8F15Xo9.png

wRHmnSV.png

9OnzEnf.png

Something here sticks out to me because going by MS's own criteria for making a Zenimax game Xbox console-exclusive, why is HiFi Rush exclusive to Xbox consoles? It has absolutely not led to an increase in Xbox owners by millions, nor increased system sales to go beyond a target sales forecast. You'd think at the very least HiFi Rush would be on the Switch.

Here's something else for though: let's say we take Microsoft's words explicitly here and limit "rival console" to PlayStation. Then, why is not only HiFi Rush not on Switch...why is there no Switch port for Starfield? This is the same Microsoft claiming they can get COD running natively on that system, right? The Switch is not considered a rival platform, and if they can claim to get COD running on Switch...why would they not be able to get Starfield running natively on Switch in a scaled-down state? What about the next DOOM, that way it's not cloud-only?

I know this is kind of a tongue-in-cheek thought, but it might be crazy enough to be worth considering in some form.

There has been a pretty funny duel of accusations of bias in regards to these regulators though. I remember one article I posted a while back in this thread had the author mention that MS has been lobbying the EU for years to rule favorably on their actions whereas inversely, Michael Pachter accused the CMA of being in Sony's back pocket.

I'm not listening to anything from a Wedbush Securities mouthpiece seriously.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Wait, what happened? Why delay? Thought that EU will easily approve this

Question is who are these people who the media are talking to that are so positive?

A recent mlex update might give us a hint

Microsoft hopes that the remedy package offered to the EC will put pressure on the CMA.

They ain't anyone close to the regulators that's for sure.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Exactly. If anything it shows Sony probably has more of a leg in this than certain parties would like to admit. Now, the EC could still rule in Microsoft's favor and let them get away with slap-on-the-wrist behavioral remedies, and that would be a mistake IMHO.

But the ones thinking this is a slam-dunk for Microsoft are always the ones I most love seeing cry when something like December 8th pops up to remind them of reality. They can stand with the humility.

Highly doubt it. MS love gaslighting regulators; keep in mind they think these people are ignorant when it comes to the gaming market and that they themselves (Microsoft) are never wrong.

Despite they have a 20+ year console gaming legacy filled with proof of them being wrong.

Something here sticks out to me because going by MS's own criteria for making a Zenimax game Xbox console-exclusive, why is HiFi Rush exclusive to Xbox consoles? It has absolutely not led to an increase in Xbox owners by millions, nor increased system sales to go beyond a target sales forecast. You'd think at the very least HiFi Rush would be on the Switch.

Here's something else for though: let's say we take Microsoft's words explicitly here and limit "rival console" to PlayStation. Then, why is not only HiFi Rush not on Switch...why is there no Switch port for Starfield? This is the same Microsoft claiming they can get COD running natively on that system, right? The Switch is not considered a rival platform, and if they can claim to get COD running on Switch...why would they not be able to get Starfield running natively on Switch in a scaled-down state? What about the next DOOM, that way it's not cloud-only?

I know this is kind of a tongue-in-cheek thought, but it might be crazy enough to be worth considering in some form.

I'm not listening to anything from a Wedbush Securities mouthpiece seriously.
Yeah, I just thought the accusations being thrown around were funny. Pachter seems to be more openly anti-Playstation than usual this gen.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
How can some people pretend they are pro-workers and women / minority rights and then cheer for Kotick to keep his job and Lulu to get a golden parachute?

These people are absolutely insane. They are literally cheering for a sexual predator and a union buster.
Why anyone would cheer for him? He is set for life. Plus he is shit. Pathetic

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Remember when Microsoft was trying to pressure the eu to rule quickly to put pressure on the ftc and the cma but the eu continues to delay now til the end of May? MS for whatever reason perceives the eu as the weakest link to put pressure on the others but they keep delaying while the other have had set dates and eu keeps going past those dates, And yet somehow Microsoft is winning.
Microsoft is always winning, until it isn’t 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Deleted member 417

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

From the beginning, I've thought this was about enticing and/or compelling people to invest in MS' ecosystem. No matter what MS says to regulators or the public, that's the end goal. It's what they've done in other sectors and buying developers/publishers/IPs and then limiting access to their own ecosystem falls in line with previous tactics they've used. Basically, if you won't move to their product they'll remove your choices until you do. I think that's why certain titles are not on Switch and, if allowed, that list (of games only available through the MS ecosystem) will grow and grow. Some (MS included) want to make this a console war issue, but I'm far more worried about the health of the industry and consumer choice.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Destin had Jaffe on to talk about the acquisition... you can imagine what it was like! :rolleyes:
I honestly don't care about what those two have to say, which is why I don't go on their channels. I imagine it was a lot of "Sony are cowards" "I hope they lose and leave the console market" type nonsense.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
I don't really pay attention too much in regards to this takeover tbh, however, what I normally do is check out what @adamsapple is saying in his posts.

The more positive he is in his shilling, means its probably going the exact opposite of what Microsoft wants.

robert-de-niro-you.gif

Destin had Jaffe on to talk about the acquisition... you can imagine what it was like! :rolleyes:

Why do you watch any of them. They're all just randos. Jaffe has also become like an angry hobo over the last couple of years. Save your sanity and don't give them clicks.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
robert-de-niro-you.gif

Why do you watch any of them. They're all just randos. Jaffe has also become like an angry hobo over the last couple of years. Save your sanity and don't give them clicks.

I generally like Jaffe and he's always been good to me...but his takes just drive me up the wall sometimes.

There are even some Xbox guys I have a soft spot for... Gaz, The Aussie guy from Xboxera and Rand.... and CrapGamer can be pretty funny when he takes things less seriously.

But I'm watching less and less podcasts, I just don't have the time tbh.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
The only "Xbox guy" I keep an eye on is Tom Warren on Twitter, he's good at breaking news.

Other than that I don't listen/follow any of the other names that get thrown around all the time like Jez etc.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I generally like Jaffe and he's always been good to me...but his takes just drive me up the wall sometimes.

There are even some Xbox guys I have a soft spot for... Gaz, The Aussie guy from Xboxera and Rand.... and CrapGamer can be pretty funny when he takes things less seriously.

I wish I could remember the name of the guy who got trolled so hard in the console war that he quit making gaming videos and became a rapper instead.

24 Jun 2022
From the beginning, I've thought this was about enticing and/or compelling people to invest in MS' ecosystem. No matter what MS says to regulators or the public, that's the end goal. It's what they've done in other sectors and buying developers/publishers/IPs and then limiting access to their own ecosystem falls in line with previous tactics they've used. Basically, if you won't move to their product they'll remove your choices until you do. I think that's why certain titles are not on Switch and, if allowed, that list (of games only available through the MS ecosystem) will grow and grow. Some (MS included) want to make this a console war issue, but I'm far more worried about the health of the industry and consumer choice.

It's just really disgusting that Microsoft have put themselves in a situation where, the only way they can entice people to their gaming ecosystem, is to take the biggest names from the 3P space and lock them to their ecosystem through consolidation. It's not like Xbox is the main destination for any of the IP they've acquired, it hasn't been for years if ever.

Hellblade, Obsidian's games, Double Fine, Bethesda games....on console all of these games had the majority of their audience on Playstation platforms. That is something which always goes against Microsoft when bringing even those up; sure some form of that argument could be used against Sony when Final Fantasy went to their platform but Nintendo royally screwed up their relationship with Squaresoft AND made a console that was not friendly to the JRPG ambitions FF VII, VIII, IX etc. obviously had that generation. Something their own fans and fans of the genre quickly realized and they naturally chose the console where their favorite type of games were actually proliferating.

There is no such scenario where Sony "dropped the ball" with PS5 the way Nintendo did with the N64 (or Sega with the Saturn), in terms of failing to answer the needs of most devs/pubs or gamers/customers, so I can't really throw them that bone when it comes to those aforementioned acquisitions. I get that Microsoft need big marquee AAA IP tied to their gaming brand to be competitive, but I don't really condone mass consolidation for them to "catch up" on that front when they had the IP which could've done it for them but they let them become irrelevant through poor management.

Yeah, I just thought the accusations being thrown around were funny. Pachter seems to be more openly anti-Playstation than usual this gen.

If you follow the money, it's easy to see why. The company he works for has $50 million in Microsoft shares, shares that stand to jump in value if the ABK deal is closed. Pachter himself says he has no shares in Microsoft but it doesn't matter; he's speaking as a representative of Wedbush since he's an employee of theirs who also engages with the public.

Given Sony are the company most against the deal, of course Pachter will be incredibly stupid in his disdain for them which is why flies like Destin are attracted to him like garbage. Also given Microsoft have basically said the only reason they aren't #1 in console gaming is because Sony exists (that's not the full reason: what they don't say is that Sony understands the market magnitudes better than they ever could), I'm sure people like Pachter feel if PlayStation could be squeezed out, it'd make more room for Microsoft, increase their value, and increase Wedbush's share value in Microsoft.

It really has turned into dirty politics now. I don't know how we expunge this element out of the industry or the hobby.

Nah, Gaz has been showing his ass on Twitter lately. For a moment I thought they were going to be genuinely more critical of Xbox but that lasted for like five seconds. His anti-PS trolling isn't that far off from Colteastwood's.

And the XboxERA guy you're talking about, is that Shrepnel Nick? I couldn't take that guy seriously anymore after he went on a PlayStation rant because Microsoft delayed Starfield & RedFall back in May. It just got very nonsensical and it's like he was blaming PlayStation for Microsoft's own shortcomings.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It's just really disgusting that Microsoft have put themselves in a situation where, the only way they can entice people to their gaming ecosystem, is to take the biggest names from the 3P space and lock them to their ecosystem through consolidation. It's not like Xbox is the main destination for any of the IP they've acquired, it hasn't been for years if ever.

Hellblade, Obsidian's games, Double Fine, Bethesda games....on console all of these games had the majority of their audience on Playstation platforms. That is something which always goes against Microsoft when bringing even those up; sure some form of that argument could be used against Sony when Final Fantasy went to their platform but Nintendo royally screwed up their relationship with Squaresoft AND made a console that was not friendly to the JRPG ambitions FF VII, VIII, IX etc. obviously had that generation. Something their own fans and fans of the genre quickly realized and they naturally chose the console where their favorite type of games were actually proliferating.

There is no such scenario where Sony "dropped the ball" with PS5 the way Nintendo did with the N64 (or Sega with the Saturn), in terms of failing to answer the needs of most devs/pubs or gamers/customers, so I can't really throw them that bone when it comes to those aforementioned acquisitions. I get that Microsoft need big marquee AAA IP tied to their gaming brand to be competitive, but I don't really condone mass consolidation for them to "catch up" on that front when they had the IP which could've done it for them but they let them become irrelevant through poor management.

If you follow the money, it's easy to see why. The company he works for has $50 million in Microsoft shares, shares that stand to jump in value if the ABK deal is closed. Pachter himself says he has no shares in Microsoft but it doesn't matter; he's speaking as a representative of Wedbush since he's an employee of theirs who also engages with the public.

Given Sony are the company most against the deal, of course Pachter will be incredibly stupid in his disdain for them which is why flies like Destin are attracted to him like garbage. Also given Microsoft have basically said the only reason they aren't #1 in console gaming is because Sony exists (that's not the full reason: what they don't say is that Sony understands the market magnitudes better than they ever could), I'm sure people like Pachter feel if PlayStation could be squeezed out, it'd make more room for Microsoft, increase their value, and increase Wedbush's share value in Microsoft.

It really has turned into dirty politics now. I don't know how we expunge this element out of the industry or the hobby.

Nah, Gaz has been showing his ass on Twitter lately. For a moment I thought they were going to be genuinely more critical of Xbox but that lasted for like five seconds. His anti-PS trolling isn't that far off from Colteastwood's.

And the XboxERA guy you're talking about, is that Shrepnel Nick? I couldn't take that guy seriously anymore after he went on a PlayStation rant because Microsoft delayed Starfield & RedFall back in May. It just got very nonsensical and it's like he was blaming PlayStation for Microsoft's own shortcomings.

Ahh that's a pity. He seemed to be fairly genuine and approachable for a while.
Yeah..Nick, I know his insider stuff isn't too dpendable but he was always pretty decent in any interactions I had in fairness to him.
I guess they all have an audience that they have to cater too though and PS bashing gets a lot of praise these days.

Reactions: Deleted member 417