Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
The only negative from this deal failing is my inability to literally rub the news in smug assholes like Bradbatross' face. Might make a throwaway Reee account to do just that. Along with tokenaussie and yogaflame, he's among the most delusional of the green rats over there. I don't think that trio is being paid for it either.

EC delaying is terrible news for the supposed synergy between regulators that'll put pressure on the CMA, and given Mlex's track record thus far, and all signs pointing to Reuters sources being MS lawyers, wouldn't be surprised to see the EC block it either.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The only negative from this deal failing is my inability to literally rub the news in smug assholes like Bradbatross' face. Might make a throwaway Reee account to do just that. Along with tokenaussie and yogaflame, he's among the most delusional of the green rats over there. I don't think that trio is being paid for it either.

EC delaying is terrible news for the supposed synergy between regulators that'll put pressure on the CMA, and given Mlex's track record thus far, and all signs pointing to Reuters sources being MS lawyers, wouldn't be surprised to see the EC block it either.

If one or both of them move to block, it will be a huge statement.... that regulators in the west cannot be bought off, that they look at the facts and the real substance of the issue and ignore the fluff and corporate sycophants that crawl out to make themselves heard but are never there to be heard when it is to improve the industry or to push back on really anti-consumer issues like always online, loot boxes, drm and the likes.....

If MSFT cannot buy off a regulator, them nobody can.

On the other hand, if the deal goes through....it means the systems and oversights are not working. I think that much is very clear.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
A gaming deal such as this is no barometer for the supposed health, impartiality or raison d'etre of these institutions. Banking is the barometer - and well, that speaks for itself. These institutions are in practice more so gatekeepers than the idealists conception of fair and balanced market arbiters.

Say a hypothetical Tencent with MS' rap sheet, coming off a recent purchase like Bethesda, pulling games exclusive (by doing so lying and betraying previous promises to regulatory bodies) attempts to buy Activision.

Would we be having this theater of compromise aka "remedies" aka "it ain't that bad you're getting fucked over, here have this paper wipe to wipe off that tear"?

Please.... it would be dead in the water instantly - hence the want may exist but no action on a foregone fact. One can live in a world of illusions or reality.... both can be comfortable for mental health but only one option is real.

Winners n Losers... pick n choose is more apt.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

This is my point as well, Microsoft’s plan has been to use the eu as a wedge for cma and ftc to show unreasonable they are but the eu keeps delaying while the cma and ftc keep decreeing their demands. Why ms thinks the eu is weakest link idk, maybe they’re most likely to take a bribe? Either way the plan doesn’t seem to be playing out like they planned at least not publicly. I do think a lot of these mlex and Reuters reports are just Quoting Microsoft lawyers. MS wants to flood the zone with misinformation but it’s yet to play out in their favor at the regulators.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This is my point as well, Microsoft’s plan has been to use the eu as a wedge for cma and ftc to show unreasonable they are but the eu keeps delaying while the cma and ftc keep decreeing their demands. Why ms thinks the eu is weakest link idk, maybe they’re most likely to take a bribe? Either way the plan doesn’t seem to be playing out like they planned at least not publicly. I do think a lot of these mlex and Reuters reports are just Quoting Microsoft lawyers. MS wants to flood the zone with misinformation but it’s yet to play out in their favor at the regulators.
It’s because the EU loves raking in fines. They have made a lot of questionable decisions as regulators, with some hefty fines that MS and Apple and Google have all just paid up and kept going as they did before the fines were levied.

That’s a large part of why EU regulators aren’t taken very seriously, and why their decision isn’t a barometer of what the FTC and CMA will do.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Tbh I don't think there is much synergy between EC and CMA to begin with. There was even an article where the EC came out and said thir decision won't always align with other regulator's, most likely referring to the CMA.

But yeah if anything the delay will put less pressure on the CMA, as they know longer have a possible EC approval hanging over them if they do go for a block.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Yeah, I think the fear of "what if Tencent gets ABK if MS aren't allowed to" is way overblown. If anything, Tencent would face even harsher scrutiny if they tried anything like this.
Tencent won’t make the games exclusive so I’d rather they get it. But it’s better if it remains independent.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Roberto Serrano is not a reliable source. His insider leaks for Sony games are always wrong.
This guy is banned on every forum
I am just posting updates on what i see, It also brings new things into the conversation to spark and progress the thread.
If its speculation or fact is for people here to decide.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
He just took the mlex update for the EC yesterday and is guessing "UK should follow" didn't he?

Maybe a broken clock is right twice a day, will see Serrano. Otherwise the man needs to have some self awareness of how much of a joke his making him self.

Reactions: AshHunter216

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Update (Oct. 2011): Confirmed: Linux-hostile Lobbyist Microsoft Florian (Müller) is Funded by Microsoft

Florian Müller, a campaigner for hire (with history), uses Microsoft products extensively and also promotes them. He refuses to deny being paid by Microsoft. He pretends to be against software patents while actually lobbying in their favour and defending Microsoft (by mass-mailing journalists to 'inject' spin). Here are only some of our many posts which expose his agenda.

giphy.gif

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
“UK cma should” I guess that’s his opinion? The cma should do what they want and rule how they want.
Between his insider leaks and stuff like this, it looks like he's just clout chasing.

OT: This thread seems like it has an issue with different people posting the same source/information multiple times.