Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
These Xbox fanboys are beyond ridiculous. It’s getting worse and worse by every day.
Destin is spreading the fake report that Sony is probed by the JFTC (Japan Fair Trade Commission). His source is made up from his arse.

Just because of this ignorant take pushed by Microsoft shady lobbyists.View attachment 881 🤦🏼‍♂️

I honestly wish someone with a good following would start knocking these morons down. Start pushing back on fake narratives and expose this blatant astroturfing. Not just MS but Sony's side too. MBG is pretty cringe as well.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I hate this guys. Especially Astal is one if the worst hardcore fanboys out there. How can someone be so delusional???

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Correct me if I am wrong here.
In the recent CMA document, did CMA say or apply that taking off COD will not hurt PS? When reading it says that MS doesn't have the incentive to take COD off.
They didn't really even get into it TBH

Quick summary:
  • They got updated LTV figures based on the first two years of Series X life cycle (which at a glance seems flawed to me based on the limited game availability plus supply issues for Xbox last year)
  • Using an updated method to calculate COD profitability per user
  • They conclude Xbox would lose X billion over 5 years by not releasing on PlayStation
Because of this they conclude foreclosure won't occur, and they don't bother to look at the effect on competition.

The flaws I can see Sony coming back on is

1) They limit the scope of profitability to users who spend over $100 on COD (time frame not given). But if this is within one year it is extremely flawed and basically excludes anyone who just buys the base game and no MTX
2) As far as I can tell between the redacted numbers, they never calculate what a revised Xbox LTV would look like with COD platform switchers.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They didn't really even get into it TBH

Quick summary:
  • They got updated LTV figures based on the first two years of Series X life cycle (which at a glance seems flawed to me based on the limited game availability plus supply issues for Xbox last year)
  • Using an updated method to calculate COD profitability per user
  • They conclude Xbox would lose X billion over 5 years by not releasing on PlayStation
Because of this they conclude foreclosure won't occur, and they don't bother to look at the effect on competition.

The flaws I can see Sony coming back on is

1) They limit the scope of profitability to users who spend over $100 on COD (time frame not given). But if this is within one year it is extremely flawed and basically excludes anyone who just buys the base game and no MTX
2) As far as I can tell between the redacted numbers, they never calculate what a revised Xbox LTV would look like with COD platform switchers.
The mistake is to think MS cares about short/mid term profitability when they are willing to spend $80B on acquisitions and bleed money on Xbox/Gamepass/xCloud. Their goal is to take over the entire market by taking out their direct competitor before other big tech giants turn their focus from movie/TV to games.

Regulator should have made all MS Xbox/xCloud/Gamepass financial info public as that would expose what MS is doing. It's the old trick of selling cheap gas until you are the only gas station in town.

MS is ok with crashing the console market if they end up the last one standing. Consoles are in the way of cloud anyway, their wet dream. They even see themselves as Netflix and Sony as Blockbuster and have said so publicly.

Last edited:

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
No offence guys, but seorusly why do you keep posting and following this shit? Do you guys just like getting your self riled up?

The forum is becoming unbearable the last few days.
I am getting this asshats because of some followers on my timeline. I don’t interact usually with them. All this clout chaser have been muted.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
No offence guys, but seorusly why do you keep posting and following this shit? Do you guys just like getting your self riled up?

Agreed. It's easy to whip up a twitter account and just post crap like this. It's just pathetic fanboy bullshit by people who tie their entire personality to a piece of plastic.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

Sorry to that poster but i've had them on ignore for a while now. All they do is post the most bottom of the barrel Xbot twitter takes, which my sanity could do without seeing.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
So what do you guys think the CMA eventually settles on? They've taken a massive L with having to change their PF to remove the console SLC.

Do they take another L on accepting behaviourol remedies for the cloud SLC, when they've doubled down on still wanting structural remedies?

I feel like CMA won't be wanting to take 2 Ls here and will stick to it's guns of wanting divestment. But this is unpredictable, so obviously I'm not saying this is what CMA will for certain.

Reactions: Bryank75

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
So what do you guys think the CMA eventually settles on? They've taken a massive L with having to change their PF to remove the console SLC.

Do they take another L on accepting behaviourol remedies for the cloud SLC, when they've doubled down on still wanting structural remedies?

I feel like CMA won't be wanting to take 2 Ls here and will stick to it's guns of wanting divestment. But this is unpredictable, so obviously I'm not saying this is what CMA will for certain.
Based on how they decided to just shove aside the entirety of the console market based on some new numbers they crunched and without taking into account all other franchises MS will get, there's no way they impose structural remedies.

They're all bark and no bite. It's all just for show and I doubt they care about their reputation.

Their concerns about the cloud market will go they way of the console market. They'll suddenly see no issues with it.

Reactions: Puff

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Based on how they decided to just shove aside the entirety of the console market based on some new numbers they crunched and without taking into account all other franchises MS will get, there's no way they impose structural remedies.

They're all bark and no bite. It's all just for show and I doubt they care about their reputation.

Their concerns about the cloud market will go they way of the console market. They'll suddenly see no issues with it.
Defintley not impossible for them to drop the cloud SLC, but I don't believe they will considering even the EC have kept that as a concern.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread Microsoft have had multiple chances to address the cloud SLC and CMA have still kept. Remember CMAs latest statement is after the hearing on march which was the big hearing with MS. And they are still wanting divestment or prohibtion as the preferred option.

I don't think the question is really whether they drop it or not. It's whether they accept behavoruial remedies or want structural.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

They will do whatever the US senator tells them to do. Unfortunately the UK seems like more and more part of the US.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
They will do whatever the US senator tells them to do. Unfortunately the UK seems like more and more part of the US.
So what do you think the CMA does here? if where gonna go down the road of them just following the USA tells them to do.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
What if we’re missing the forest through the trees here and Microsoft is shifting to mobile like they’ve been saying? Remember how at gdc there was a blank spot for a new console last week? What if that’s a cell phone ? Like this whole time we’re arguing from a console war perspective but what if Microsoft really is dropping the hardware in the future and wants to become this mobile publisher? They’re already bleeding tons of money on Xbox hardware and are slashing prices 3 years in just to remain barely relativent. Liar Phil has claimed that gamepass is stagnant which I do believe, and software sales have fallen off a a cliff. Maybe we’re all freaking out over nothing?

24 Jun 2022

Personally I don't see how they can still insist on divestment when the console SLC concerns have been removed, because these other platforms (Switch) and services (GeForce NOW, Boosteroid, etc.) that MS are offering 10-year COD deals to, don't have any significant reliance on COD revenue in the first place. And for most of them I expect that to remain that way for the 10 years.

To my knowledge Microsoft have not hinted at foreclosure strategies with COD on these other platforms & services like they clearly have with Sony/PlayStation, which the CMA don't seem to see as an issue. That would suggest Microsoft's foreclosure strategy was only aimed at platforms they felt were a clear threat to them channeling future peak revenue through their own console and service ecosystem, at platforms most direct in competition with Xbox, and the only platform fitting that bill is PlayStation.

Microsoft could probably just argue that they don't see divestment as an option because they would have "no incentive" to remove access of COD from other cloud providers and platforms taking the deal because, if you look at these companies, they are either in VERY different console gaming segments than them (Nintendo), or rely on users purchasing COD anyway to leverage the features of the service (Nvidia), or are so small in users & scale that they will never seriously threaten Game Pass & xCloud for revenue & market share (Boosteroid, etc.). Of course Microsoft won't mention those specifics, but any average person can arrive at those conclusions.

Why remove COD cloud access from some rinky-dink cloud streaming service with 4 million (if that) total subscribers if you know that service can't pair the offering with native versions of the game like Game Pass & xCloud can, don't have a company the size of Microsoft backing & funding that service, don't have all the other complementing 1P software in their service the way Microsoft does, and don't have vertical integration with gaming hardware like their own console brand? Let alone probably won't have the subscriber perks the way users of Game Pass & xCloud would? There's nothing to fear from such a rinky-dink service so yeah, make a 10-year offer, throw them a cheap renewal after that if they want it.

Where it could get interesting is if the CMA focus on mobile storefronts, because Microsoft hasn't made any offers for COD into Google Play or Apple Arcade, have they? They've already revealed they want their own mobile storefront; they've been salivating for regulators to force companies like Apple to open up their devices so that companies like Microsoft can offer their own mobile storefronts free of charge. Well, if Microsoft wants to make this content available to more people, when are they going to offer at least a 10-year deal for Google and Apple's own mobile storefronts?

I can see that being what the CMA shift to in order to insist on divestiture, and I don't think Microsoft would easily stomach (or stomach at all) making such offers for places that are going to be direct competitors for their planned mobile storefront. So if it comes down to that, they could still be forced to divest COD & associated studios, or the deal gets blocked, or Microsoft walks away from the deal altogether.

Personally I don't think any of this makes up for them dropping virtually all of the console SLC concerns, that was still pretty short-sighted of them IMHO, but I guess there's still a very huge hurdle Microsoft may be forced to confront here just in terms of cloud or possible mobile storefront concerns. If the mobile storefront stuff never once comes up though, then these regulators (goes for all of them) will officially forever be jokes in my eyes.

What if we’re missing the forest through the trees here and Microsoft is shifting to mobile like they’ve been saying? Remember how at gdc there was a blank spot for a new console last week? What if that’s a cell phone ? Like this whole time we’re arguing from a console war perspective but what if Microsoft really is dropping the hardware in the future and wants to become this mobile publisher? They’re already bleeding tons of money on Xbox hardware and are slashing prices 3 years in just to remain barely relativent. Liar Phil has claimed that gamepass is stagnant which I do believe, and software sales have fallen off a a cliff. Maybe we’re all freaking out over nothing?

Would be a hell of a development. Although it doesn't completely absolve the console side of things (it's not like they're going to suddenly cancel Xbox if they were to suddenly release a cell phone), and it doesn't change the fact their "hardware-agnostic" strategy still involves having hardware directly competing against competitors in specific market segments (Sony via through Xbox, potentially Apple & Google via through a phone, even though they also want their mobile storefront ON Apple & Google devices rent-free)...it's interesting to consider.

The problem I have in believing MS shifting to mobile means an end to their consoles, is that they have the money to absorb any Xbox losses, as the business currently operates, and have shown they can do this for 20+ years with little impact on the company as a whole. These acquisitions will have at least SOME positive effect on the Xbox side of things, so if MS can easily absorb and justify any losses, what incentive do they have to drop Xbox?

What I personally thought, was that maybe they would turn Xbox into a PC-like gaming NUC line, and shift it off the traditional console business model altogether. I think that's the only scenario where you can have Microsoft make a "real" pivot to mobile, still keep Xbox around, and where none of this seriously impacts PlayStation long-term because at that point Microsoft have a stronger incentive to make the content available, truly available, on as many devices that can run it, which would obviously also include PlayStation. Sony probably wouldn't still be able to get marketing deals for stuff like COD but getting COD, most other ABK games, Zenimax and XGS games Day 1 (outside of exceptions like Age of Empires, Flight Sim etc. which always seem to prioritize PC first) would make up for that.

Last edited:

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Personally I don't see how they can still insist on divestment when the console SLC concerns have been removed, because these other platforms (Switch) and services (GeForce NOW, Boosteroid, etc.) that MS are offering 10-year COD deals to, don't have any significant reliance on COD revenue in the first place. And for most of them I expect that to remain that way for the 10 years.
Well CMA are still insisting on divestiture based on the cloud SLC. I feel like so many people aren't reading the updated provisional findings where all of this is stated.

If CMA didn't feel like the cloud SLC wasn't enough for a divestiture you don't think they would have removed that from the PF? Why would they leave it on their as a joke? So they can have more egg on their face when they have to update to remove it....

Geforce now and boosteroid are byog providers Microsoft have yet to make a deal for non deal byog providers like playstation. 10 year+ is very important as cloud is a growing market, and handing over that much power over to Microsoft this early could hurt future and present cloud competitors. Now whether CMA hold onto what they want who knows

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Well CMA are still insisting on divestiture based on the cloud SLC. I feel like so many people aren't reading the updated provisional findings where all of this is stated.

If CMA didn't feel like the cloud SLC wasn't enough for a divestiture you don't think they would have removed that from the PF? Why would they leave it on their as a joke? So they can have more egg on their face when they have to update to remove it....

Geforce now and boosteroid are byog providers Microsoft have yet to make a deal for non deal byog providers like playstation. 10 year+ is very important as cloud is a growing market, and handing over that much power over to Microsoft this early could hurt future and present cloud competitors. Now whether CMA hold onto what they want is debatable.
It's still early. They removed the console SLC friday, they might remove the Cloud SLC next week if they feel it's not strong enough by itself.

Really dumb of them to do a complete 180 when MS is hoarding all the biggest IPs for the cloud future. Phil admit it as soon as the deal was announced.