Modern Warfare 2 sets franchise record with $800 MILLION opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022

“This means Modern Warfare 2 has outsold MW3’s five-day record of $775 million in only three, making over $25 million more. Modern Warfare 2019 was previously in second place, bringing in over $600 million in its first three days.

To give an example of how much money this is, Modern Warfare 2 is the highest-grossing entertainment launch of 2022, outselling Top Gun: Maverick and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness’ “worldwide box office openings combined.”

Pretty crazy that MW3 was still the record holder, and this smashed it by $25,000,000 in less time.

I think it’ll continue to sell amazingly well, mostly because of WarZone 2 and the lack of other huge titles this year.

@ethomaz you still want to claim it will sell less than Vanguard 😆😆😆😆

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Never bought a non-Infinity Ward CoD, always had the impressions they are the pre-eminent CoD studio.

Probably a peak for the series given recent events.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Probably around 12 million copies or so.
That doesn’t make sense.
If you that all editions being $70 you have around 11.3 million but there is the $99 edition too.

$800m is all good but how much it really sold? For example converting the $775m from CoD MW3 to $70 you have around $900m… of course not all editions are $60 because there is the $99 edition too but it will be closer to $900m than $800m.

It looks it sold more than what I expected but it doesn’t seems to have sold more than previous peak titles… perhaps more than last two titles but needs more info.

OP
OP
DonFerrari

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Nope.

It was $60 and $70 (only cross-Gen version was $70… everything else including PC was $60).

This is the first CoD that all versions are $70 (including PC).

Maybe you’re right, idk. I saw PS4 for $60 at Walmart yesterday.

Either way it’s a desperate straw you’re grasping at. MW2 selling less than Vanguard is one of your more delusional predictions, and that’s saying something.

• brain
Reactions: Deleted member 51

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Steam debut and player count is shit for CoD. Honestly was expecting half a million at least. Witch Queen peaked higher its launch weekend by more than 20k. Console performance is strong. Actually dethroned Fortnite for at least a day yesterday.

Warzone 2 tho I’m expecting to debut far far far bigger. Maybe even a million peak concurrent at launch.

Pre order deal allowing you to play entire campaign a week early boosted sales. It’s been charting on Xbox that entire time. Pre-sale is more relevant than it would be otherwise.

Not 5 days. More like 2 weeks.

MW 2’s pvp will absolutely still go the way of Cold War and Vanguard. Warzone 2 is something else (but I’m sure they will falsely lump the BR’s success together with it when it launches for that spin spin spin)

Retail CoD will continue to sell until consumers realize you don’t need it for Warzone on the 16th. This will take years to break.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Hezekiah
OP
OP
DonFerrari

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Yep, $1,000,000,000 in ten days. Insane. I actually went to two stores to buy a copy last night and couldn’t find it. I don’t want to do digital because I will get bored of it in a few months and can give it to a friend or relative. Previous record was one of the Blops games at 15 days to hit a billion.

Time to just admit you made a ridiculous prediction, @ethomaz 😆

Status
Not open for further replies.