MS and Gaming Revenue Overview

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Even beyond being bought, the company in question can't be on the Japanese government's list of tech companies that are considered "Strategic Assets" and are not allowed to be owned by a foreign entity, and the criteria for that status is a lot more arcane than you'd expect.
I've heard that before, though there's been conflicting information about what is and isn't allowed. Some say that's just there to keep China from performing hostile takeovers for example.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I've heard that before, though there's been conflicting information about what is and isn't allowed. Some say that's just there to keep China from performing hostile takeovers for example.
Mostly it is, which is why the criteria is so flexible, but they also use it to keep companies like MS that have been known bad actors from wiping out Japan’s tech industry.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Slightly of topic, but i remember when i used to play world of warcraft, there used to be a pandemic of gold farmers, and if i recall correctly at the time, a lot of them were Chinese. With the shutdown of blizzard games in china, i see a massive gap in the market opening up.

@Bryank75 my old friend, get your farming boots on, we are moving from spuds to gold.

St Patricks Day Dancing GIF by SportsManias

sigh, i see a ban incoming.

24 Jun 2022
Thanks for the additional info. You would have though Microsoft would have learned to simplify the OS after what happened with the xbone launch

FWIW the XBO using hypervisor layers to partition applications at certain access levels is nothing new or even a bad concept in itself; the PS3 and 360 did the same thing.

XBO's problem is that it was bloated AF in doing it, and for what they wanted features-wise, the hardware power was kind of lacking. I don't know what's going on with Series X in that regard; a lot of raw power but combination of some lower fixed graphics throughput (compared to PS5), less prioritized system-level cache coherency enforcement, the virtually segmented memory into two bandwidth pools, slower SSD I/O and probably slightly less optimized (specifically for Series S & X) API tools are probably what are resulting in the multiplat comparisons not favoring the X too well, most of the time.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
FWIW the XBO using hypervisor layers to partition applications at certain access levels is nothing new or even a bad concept in itself; the PS3 and 360 did the same thing.

XBO's problem is that it was bloated AF in doing it, and for what they wanted features-wise, the hardware power was kind of lacking. I don't know what's going on with Series X in that regard; a lot of raw power but combination of some lower fixed graphics throughput (compared to PS5), less prioritized system-level cache coherency enforcement, the virtually segmented memory into two bandwidth pools, slower SSD I/O and probably slightly less optimized (specifically for Series S & X) API tools are probably what are resulting in the multiplat comparisons not favoring the X too well, most of the time.
The segmented memory wasn't "virtually" segmented, it was two separate banks of chips on the motherboard.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
IDK how to post images but buddy drops some redfalla nd starfield details on em in the middle of their celebration. Surprised this isnt make the rounds yet. Can someone post the image for me please?

Is this guy legit? I don't believe the bit about diablo being in rough shape since it looks fine in the gameplay that's been shown so far...but i 100% believe starfield is not ready yet.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Is this guy legit? I don't believe the bit about diablo being in rough shape since it looks fine in the gameplay that's been shown so far...but i 100% believe starfield is not ready yet.
Remember, gameplay demos shown at events are often highly-massaged, and if you don't actually see someone controlling it, it is likely not actually gameplay footage.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Regardless it's interesting to hear about Azure losing money. Isn't that supposed to be like their biggest source of revenue? Why does it feel like Microsoft is using some sort of accounting tricks to lie to shareholders about the state of their business? I wish all large corporations could get some sort of external auditing done.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Same, I could believe Starfield not being ready for summer but the other stuff, not so sure.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Regardless it's interesting to hear about Azure losing money. Isn't that supposed to be like their biggest source of revenue? Why does it feel like Microsoft is using some sort of accounting tricks to lie to shareholders about the state of their business? I wish all large corporations could get some sort of external auditing done.
Basically, what they have done is convince investors that increasing subscriber counts will inevitably lead to greater profits. It hasn't yet, and investors are starting to doubt that it ever will.

They fell for the myth of eternal growth.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Can someone tell me why I can cant view images here? Every time I click one it says "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action." I have checked options but nothing. I really don't want to go to THAT forum to read this.
It is because we don't like you much. :giggle: