MS and Gaming Revenue Overview

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Can someone tell me why I can cant view images here? Every time I click one it says "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action." I have checked options but nothing. I really don't want to go to THAT forum to read this.

Ugh that's weird. Have you tried logging off and back in?

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Ugh that's weird. Have you tried logging off and back in?
It Crowd Maurice Moss GIF

Can someone tell me why I can cant view images here? Every time I click one it says "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action." I have checked options but nothing. I really don't want to go to THAT forum to read this.
Do you have any script block plugins?

• brain
Reactions: KiryuRealty
24 Jun 2022
@ethomaz Bro where you at with the Japan #s? 😂 Pulled these from NintendoEverything:

[JANUARY 16 - 22, 2023]

[HARDWARE]​
PS5 – 38,602​
Switch OLED – 28,626​
Switch – 12,820​
Switch Lite – 10,141​
PS5 Digital Edition – 3,550​
PS4 – 2,544​
Xbox Series S – 740​
Xbox Series X – 205​
New 2DS LL – 83​
[SOFTWARE]​
1. [NSW] Fire Emblem Engage – 144,558 / NEW
2. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet – 43,983 / 4,739,035
3. [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 16,091 / 3,833,699
4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 13,857 / 5,115,176
5. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 9,220 / 978,511
6. [NSW] Minecraft – 8,146 / 3,016,620
7. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 6,009 / 1,157,864
8. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 5,942 / 2,830,215
9. [PS5] Gran Turismo 7 – 5,468 / 267,222
10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 5,327 / 5,105,655​

Does anyone know if Famitsu is tracking digital software sales? If so, does Sony provide digital sales? I get the feeling some majority of software sales for PS4/PS5 in Japan must be digital and they may not be showing on the charts, but that's just speculation.

Anyway, the Xbox numbers are probably more pertinent relating to the thread itself. And, they're terrible. This probably isn't a supply issue anymore; I think at this point, considering Microsoft could have diverted more units to the region especially over the holidays if they felt demand justified the effort, these sales are reflective of demand in the Japanese market when it comes to Xbox.

At this point, these numbers are the new normal.

Reactions: ethomaz

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
@ethomaz Bro where you at with the Japan #s? 😂 Pulled these from NintendoEverything:

[JANUARY 16 - 22, 2023]

[HARDWARE]​
PS5 – 38,602​
Switch OLED – 28,626​
Switch – 12,820​
Switch Lite – 10,141​
PS4 – 2,544​
Xbox Series S – 740​
Xbox Series X – 205​
New 2DS LL – 83​
[SOFTWARE]​
1. [NSW] Fire Emblem Engage – 144,558 / NEW​
2. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet – 43,983 / 4,739,035​
3. [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 16,091 / 3,833,699​
4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 13,857 / 5,115,176​
5. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 9,220 / 978,511​
6. [NSW] Minecraft – 8,146 / 3,016,620​
7. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 6,009 / 1,157,864​
8. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 5,942 / 2,830,215​
9. [PS5] Gran Turismo 7 – 5,468 / 267,222​

Does anyone know if Famitsu is tracking digital software sales? If so, does Sony provide digital sales? I get the feeling some majority of software sales for PS4/PS5 in Japan must be digital and they may not be showing on the charts, but that's just speculation.

Anyway, the Xbox numbers are probably more pertinent relating to the thread itself. And, they're terrible. This probably isn't a supply issue anymore; I think at this point, considering Microsoft could have diverted more units to the region especially over the holidays if they felt demand justified the effort, these sales are reflective of demand in the Japanese market when it comes to Xbox.

PlayStation outselling Xbox by a ratio of 2.5:1 is consistent with the US 😛

24 Jun 2022
The segmented memory wasn't "virtually" segmented, it was two separate banks of chips on the motherboard.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure Series S use the same chip types and module capacities for chips all around: 2 GB 14 Gbps GDDR6 RAM modules. Series X has 6 2 GB, 4 1 GB and it's technically true those are two separate banks, but the memory type and speed are the same, all other properties i.e latency are the same too.

IIRC for both systems the pool's seen as one whole virtual memory address (actually it probably isn't, I'll get into why in a moment). But with Series X developers only have 10 GB usable for graphics-bound data if they want the maximum bandwidth. Supposedly if they want more GPU-bound data in memory but can't fit it in the 10 GB pool they can have some of it in the 6 GB pool and the OS is supposed to manage how the data is moved around but that would only be possible anyway if some portion of the 6 GB was unoccupied so it could act as a temporary buffer.

Which would mean even less RAM for devs to use in practice, if they need more than 10 GB for anything GPU-bound, otherwise they have to keep accessing the SSD to retrieve the rest, which would be slower. That could actually become a bigger issue for Series X over the course of the gen, if it isn't manifesting right now. But back on topic, you are right that there are two separate banks (1 GB & 2 GB) in the system. However, it's also.....possible.... they're virtually segmented at least to some extent, because he virtual addresses have to match the physical addresses and two different module capacities would have two different virtual address sizes.

I don't know if you can actually present those as if they're a wholly unified virtual address. At least not in consumer hardware; they do it all the time in big data with distributed computing and such but, they have completely different data needs than a game console. So I'm guessing with Series X the OS enforces some form of unified virtual addressing but developers still have to manage most of that themselves, particularly if they need more than 10 GB of GPU-bound data and don't want to keep fetching from storage what they need, or rely on the mip-blending chip in the GPU (supposing it would even be useful), meaning they have to keep some amount of the 3.5 GB usable in the 6 GB pool "free" so it can act as a scratchpad in shuffling blocks of data from the 10 GB to the 6 GB without overwriting anything.

In that context, the more you look at it the more strained resource management looks like it gets on Series X the further you want to push the upper bounds, no amount of API tool advances are going to fully overcome that reality, with the way parts of the system are designed.

IDK how to post images but buddy drops some redfalla nd starfield details on em in the middle of their celebration. Surprised this isnt make the rounds yet. Can someone post the image for me please?

Goddang, Microsoft. If they push Starfield before June just to please shareholders, even if the game's clearly not ready, then it deserves to fail. I don't care how hyped some portion of the community are about it; these games need more time, give them more time.

Maybe they try to sugarcoat it and say the June "launch" is a preview or some type of early access demo. Remember Project Moorecraft? The thing that was supposed to be for indie demos in Game Pass? Well maybe they extend that to early builds of 1P games, too. It would be the only way they could save face pushing Starfield out the door before it's ready and not have it result in the game's reception being completely diminished.

If it's not ready by June, do an early access demo, polish it for a November release. If it's not ready by THEN, well....you just gotta delay it to 2024. They really can't afford for Starfield to launch in a super-rough state, they simply can't.

Regardless it's interesting to hear about Azure losing money. Isn't that supposed to be like their biggest source of revenue? Why does it feel like Microsoft is using some sort of accounting tricks to lie to shareholders about the state of their business? I wish all large corporations could get some sort of external auditing done.

Curious to see how Azure's lost money over the fiscal year, if true. The cloud division reported a revenue & income profit this past quarter, or at least that's what Microsoft's mentioned to shareholders. I would hope they aren't lying about that or using accounting tricks to try making it look like it's better off than it actually is.

Because considering Azure has been MS's main growth pillar the past few years (alongside Office), if it's losing money then the immediate reason I would think of is that being tied to profits not making up for acquisition costs or certain other costs being offloaded on the Azure department? If it's just straight-up losses though, then it might explain why they're looking towards AI for growth; they'd also want that to help reignite Azure growth too because any plans MS have with AI will heavily involve Azure (and Office) regardless. Windows would also benefit from that.

24 Jun 2022
I love the Xbot spin on GAF that the PS5 shortages were always a myth. I wonder what colour the sky is in their world.

Probably green.

It was even worst on Reset, those scant few weeks Series was edging out PS5 in Japan. Then all the threads about it being symbolic of a true turnaround for the brand there.

They all spoke too soon, way too soon.

PlayStation outselling Xbox by a ratio of 2.5:1 is consistent with the US 😛

Yeah like the November leaked numbers, it was almost 2:1 effectively. If similar repeated in December, really don't know what else there would be to say.

Right now I'm more curious if Series continues to track behind XBO in sales from now into the foreseeable future and, if so, how much further behind. To start reversing that trend, MS'd need Starfield to be a huge success critically & commercially, make sure they have some other big game or two for the first few months of 2024, prioritize Series X over the S AND hope Sony has a pretty barren H1 2024.

And that's just to reserve any big pacing behind XBO and to hopefully start tracking ahead of it again. But chances are some of those things (particularly a barren H1 2024 for PS5, & MS having some big AAA games for early 2024) are extremely slim. I feel like Xbox missed its window of opportunity to capitalize and build some real momentum over PS5 in 2021.

If they had Hellblade II release that year, if Halo Infinite was actually a big deal, if FH5 was a bigger deal, if they added some "cooler" content to Flight Sim at launch (Crimson Skies content, some kind of campaign, etc.), if they salvaged Bleeding Edge, and if they had even ONE of the other games they showed in 2020 ready for 2021 (personally I'd of gone with Avowed)...I think that (combined with the Game Pass stuff that happened that year) would have done the trick, honestly. At least enough so to put them over PS5 in the US & UK, and that would've carried them well into 2022.

But it didn't happen, and now MS are paying the price for it. Sony's not slowing down; they're full steam ahead. Same with Nintendo. 3P devs are, too, and MS is uanble to get any of the big ones into Game Pass unless they try buying the publisher, which they can't do for many reasons, one because they're still dealing with the ABK acquisition. Even if they get ABK, they won't really see the benefits of that for a few years and it's clear that they value the revenue these came can generate above simply sacrificing their earning potential for Game Pass.

The best MS can manage this gen is to simply hold on & maintain, but would they want to do that to risk repeating all of this again for the next generation, or will they just cut their losses and pivot the entire Xbox business model to something more PC-like, and just focus on (truly) bringing their content to as many platforms as they can? Personally I think the latter is the smarter option.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure Series S use the same chip types and module capacities for chips all around: 2 GB 14 Gbps GDDR6 RAM modules. Series X has 6 2 GB, 4 1 GB and it's technically true those are two separate banks, but the memory type and speed are the same, all other properties i.e latency are the same too.

IIRC for both systems the pool's seen as one whole virtual memory address (actually it probably isn't, I'll get into why in a moment). But with Series X developers only have 10 GB usable for graphics-bound data if they want the maximum bandwidth. Supposedly if they want more GPU-bound data in memory but can't fit it in the 10 GB pool they can have some of it in the 6 GB pool and the OS is supposed to manage how the data is moved around but that would only be possible anyway if some portion of the 6 GB was unoccupied so it could act as a temporary buffer.

Which would mean even less RAM for devs to use in practice, if they need more than 10 GB for anything GPU-bound, otherwise they have to keep accessing the SSD to retrieve the rest, which would be slower. That could actually become a bigger issue for Series X over the course of the gen, if it isn't manifesting right now. But back on topic, you are right that there are two separate banks (1 GB & 2 GB) in the system. However, it's also.....possible.... they're virtually segmented at least to some extent, because he virtual addresses have to match the physical addresses and two different module capacities would have two different virtual address sizes.

I don't know if you can actually present those as if they're a wholly unified virtual address. At least not in consumer hardware; they do it all the time in big data with distributed computing and such but, they have completely different data needs than a game console. So I'm guessing with Series X the OS enforces some form of unified virtual addressing but developers still have to manage most of that themselves, particularly if they need more than 10 GB of GPU-bound data and don't want to keep fetching from storage what they need, or rely on the mip-blending chip in the GPU (supposing it would even be useful), meaning they have to keep some amount of the 3.5 GB usable in the 6 GB pool "free" so it can act as a scratchpad in shuffling blocks of data from the 10 GB to the 6 GB without overwriting anything.

In that context, the more you look at it the more strained resource management looks like it gets on Series X the further you want to push the upper bounds, no amount of API tool advances are going to fully overcome that reality, with the way parts of the system are designed.

Goddang, Microsoft. If they push Starfield before June just to please shareholders, even if the game's clearly not ready, then it deserves to fail. I don't care how hyped some portion of the community are about it; these games need more time, give them more time.

Maybe they try to sugarcoat it and say the June "launch" is a preview or some type of early access demo. Remember Project Moorecraft? The thing that was supposed to be for indie demos in Game Pass? Well maybe they extend that to early builds of 1P games, too. It would be the only way they could save face pushing Starfield out the door before it's ready and not have it result in the game's reception being completely diminished.

If it's not ready by June, do an early access demo, polish it for a November release. If it's not ready by THEN, well....you just gotta delay it to 2024. They really can't afford for Starfield to launch in a super-rough state, they simply can't.

Curious to see how Azure's lost money over the fiscal year, if true. The cloud division reported a revenue & income profit this past quarter, or at least that's what Microsoft's mentioned to shareholders. I would hope they aren't lying about that or using accounting tricks to try making it look like it's better off than it actually is.

Because considering Azure has been MS's main growth pillar the past few years (alongside Office), if it's losing money then the immediate reason I would think of is that being tied to profits not making up for acquisition costs or certain other costs being offloaded on the Azure department? If it's just straight-up losses though, then it might explain why they're looking towards AI for growth; they'd also want that to help reignite Azure growth too because any plans MS have with AI will heavily involve Azure (and Office) regardless. Windows would also benefit from that.
The One S was a revision with some consolidation, but the original Xbox One for sure had two separate RAM banks that were different speed chips. The S probably also had two distinct types of chips, as variable-clock RAM is more expensive than the bottom-bin parts MS likes to use for most components.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It was even worst on Reset, those scant few weeks Series was edging out PS5 in Japan. Then all the threads about it being symbolic of a true turnaround for the brand there.

Yeah like the November leaked numbers, it was almost 2:1 effectively. If similar repeated in December, really don't know what else there would be to say.

Right now I'm more curious if Series continues to track behind XBO in sales from now into the foreseeable future and, if so, how much further behind. To start reversing that trend, MS'd need Starfield to be a huge success critically & commercially, make sure they have some other big game or two for the first few months of 2024, prioritize Series X over the S AND hope Sony has a pretty barren H1 2024.

And that's just to reserve any big pacing behind XBO and to hopefully start tracking ahead of it again. But chances are some of those things (particularly a barren H1 2024 for PS5, & MS having some big AAA games for early 2024) are extremely slim. I feel like Xbox missed its window of opportunity to capitalize and build some real momentum over PS5 in 2021.

If they had Hellblade II release that year, if Halo Infinite was actually a big deal, if FH5 was a bigger deal, if they added some "cooler" content to Flight Sim at launch (Crimson Skies content, some kind of campaign, etc.), if they salvaged Bleeding Edge, and if they had even ONE of the other games they showed in 2020 ready for 2021 (personally I'd of gone with Avowed)...I think that (combined with the Game Pass stuff that happened that year) would have done the trick, honestly. At least enough so to put them over PS5 in the US & UK, and that would've carried them well into 2022.

But it didn't happen, and now MS are paying the price for it. Sony's not slowing down; they're full steam ahead. Same with Nintendo. 3P devs are, too, and MS is uanble to get any of the big ones into Game Pass unless they try buying the publisher, which they can't do for many reasons, one because they're still dealing with the ABK acquisition. Even if they get ABK, they won't really see the benefits of that for a few years and it's clear that they value the revenue these came can generate above simply sacrificing their earning potential for Game Pass.

The best MS can manage this gen is to simply hold on & maintain, but would they want to do that to risk repeating all of this again for the next generation, or will they just cut their losses and pivot the entire Xbox business model to something more PC-like, and just focus on (truly) bringing their content to as many platforms as they can? Personally I think the latter is the smarter option.
They aren’t able to maintain, which is why their guidance for the next quarter and projection for the rest of the year is continued double-digit negative growth.

Pivoting away from console hardware would be the smartest move they could make, but Xbox has never made a single smart move in over 20 years, and don’t seem inclined to start now.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
The One S was a revision with some consolidation, but the original Xbox One for sure had two separate RAM banks that were different speed chips. The S probably also had two distinct types of chips, as variable-clock RAM is more expensive than the bottom-bin parts MS likes to use for most components.
My favourite One S moment was when it was unveiled at e3 and at the end of the same show, Project Scorpio (Xbox One X) was announced thus killing any positive momentum for the One S.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

[JANUARY 16 - 22, 2023]

[HARDWARE]​
PS5 – 38,602​
Switch OLED – 28,626​
Switch – 12,820​
Switch Lite – 10,141​
PS4 – 2,544​
Xbox Series S – 740​
Xbox Series X – 205​
New 2DS LL – 83​
[SOFTWARE]​
1. [NSW] Fire Emblem Engage – 144,558 / NEW​
2. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet – 43,983 / 4,739,035​
3. [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 16,091 / 3,833,699​
4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 13,857 / 5,115,176​
5. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 9,220 / 978,511​
6. [NSW] Minecraft – 8,146 / 3,016,620​
7. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 6,009 / 1,157,864​
8. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 5,942 / 2,830,215​
9. [PS5] Gran Turismo 7 – 5,468 / 267,222​

The PS5 is holding great in 40k weekly in Japan.

Even GT7 is surprising back... maybe one of the title that people trend to buy with PS5.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

I was actually making a subtle joke on PS4 beating Xbox S|X by 2.5:1 in Japan 😄 PS5 is more than 50:1.

24 Jun 2022

Oh yeah, XBO for sure. They had the 8 GB DDR3 (I think the bandwidth was 68.3 GB/s), and the 32 MB ESRAM that was 204 GB/s. They wanted devs to use the ESRAM similar to the EDRAM in 360, as a framebuffer, but it wasn't large enough nor fast enough to make up for the DDR3's slow bandwidth (when PS4 had 16 GB at almost as fast as XBO's ESRAM speed).

I though you were talking about the Series S & X (Series X specifically), though. That's the one I was saying is virtually segmented in terms of the address map, most likely, because the physical capacities are different between the 1 GB & 2 GB chips. Though it's possible it may all be presented to the programmer as a unified 13.5 GB virtual memory address, they still have to manage where the data's being allocated because it still has to physically go into either the 10 GB or 6 GB capacity pool and that affects the bandwidth access.

Was thinking that if a dev wanted more than 10 GB of GPU-bound data, but don't want to fetch it from storage, they have to keep a scratchpad in the other 3.5 GB so they can move data between the two pools without overwriting anything, but they still have to be selective to what data's being moved because the scratchpad can probably only be 1.5 GB in size maximum (CPU & audio are still going to need data of their own, that would probably take up 2 GB's worth).

So in those instances Series X may only have 12 GB worth of data to play with realistically if 1.5 GB is being used as a scratchpad to move data between the two pools, and they need more than 10 GB of GPU-bound data for some duration of time. And they still have to be mindful where the data itself is being placed. PS5 doesn't have any of those issues, even if Series X makes the situation more manageable by presenting a unified virtual memory address to the developer.

That turnaround narrative was all over twitter as well, pushed by the usual suspects.

Always the same song and dance with those busters. They're like the fiends enabling an alcoholic to keep drinking, even if they're trying to go clean.

I think MS DOES want to improve the overall business with Xbox but they gotta turn away from listening to cheerleaders like Destin, Colt, Ryan, or any of the rabid fanboys & fangirls who just push all of Xbox's issues onto PlayStation like it's Sony's fault.

The PS5 is holding great in 40k weekly in Japan.

Even GT7 is surprising back... maybe one of the title that people trend to buy with PS5.

Yeah, 40K or just about seems like where it's normalized. If they can hold that for even three more years, they should be within beating PS4's lifetime in Japan by sometime early 2026, and the generation would still have at least two more years to go from there.

GT7 seems like a pseudo-evergreen title. Maybe not in the huge quantities like some other games but, it's a long-term performer, especially in most foreign markets. Every GT's done at least 10 million lifetime, GT7 should be able to hit that as well and probably more after that.

Like for example, GT6 managed it and that game got buried by PS4's launch.

I was actually making a subtle joke on PS4 beating Xbox S|X by 2.5:1 in Japan 😄 PS5 is more than 50:1.

Oh my bad, I forget sometimes how poorly Xbox's Japanese numbers are that even the PS4 is competition for it there, let alone PS5 and Switch 🤣.

Reactions: AshHunter216