Multiple industry insiders claim that Sony was holding back with the PlayStation Showcase following a mixed response to the event.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think another disconnect that happens is the difference between hearing about something and actually seeing it.

For example, hearing that in the showcase Sony was going to show Spider-man 2 gameplay, Marathon by Bungie, new IP by Haven, new IP by Firewalk, Helldivers 2, MGS3, Dragon Dogmas 2, RE4 VR, etc, sounds a lot better in theory than it did in reality.

That show was so boring that by the time we got to Spider-man 2 gameplay I couldn't handle it anymore and left.
Yeah. I mentioned that the content sony showed on paper at least, is really good. Its that the pacing of the show was horrible. Opening with Havens game set a bad tone for me and it had wayyyy too many indies. If it opened with Marathon to set a proper tone and had less indies splashed between EVERY AAA game, then i think it wouldve been better received even if it was the same content.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Tin Foil Hat time: so Sony made a weak conference to bait Xbox into thinking they have nothing? 😂

Okay anyways back to reality. We are now back In the 2014 - 2015 phase of the PS4 cycle where's Sonya had nothing much available.

Truly they have do e a bang up job up till now, so I won't be too mad at them for a slight drought. I just think they need to work on their messaging and stop taking advantage of their core base.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yeah. I mentioned that the content sony showed on paper at least, is really good. Its that the pacing of the show was horrible. Opening with Havens game set a bad tone for me and it had wayyyy too many indies. If it opened with Marathon to set a proper tone and had less indies splashed between EVERY AAA game, then i think it wouldve been better received even if it was the same content.
I don't think it was the pacing, it was the quality of what was shown.

Nobody here would be talking about Fairgame$, Concord, Helldivers 2 or even Marathon had they been just another trailers mixed in any other even or in the case of Marathon if it was not made by Bungie.

Too much pressure ended up being put on Spider-man 2 and it didn't live up to it, it was a bad showing for it without a doubt.

These insiders could easily be talking about some equally unimpressive things like London Studios GaaS, Bend GaaS, Horizon GaaS, some other remake by an unknown dev with a bad reputation or other things like that.

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
These so-called insiders are just saying things that are obvious, of course, Sony held back and it showed. Just like Xbox has been doing for 5 years now, holding back but at least they showed us CGI trailers and logos of what they are currently working on. In my opinion, they held back because 90% of the games they wanted to show were either exclusive or timed and they didn't want to show it due to Microsoft and Activision. I could be wrong in my assumption. Or there's trouble in paradise and are having trouble with development at this point who knows? These insiders mean nothing and hold no value to anything regarding Sony.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony ain't hiding shit, they obviously are still making games but they had nothing to show and they are most likely taking a ridiculous amount of time.

Im not doubting you, I just hope you are wrong.

1. they could all be totally badly managed and have nothing to show.
2. They could be holding stuff back atm and gonna have shorter releases after they announce a game like TLOU1 Remake etc.

-Theres no way TLOU Factions hasnt got 20 seconds they could show us. Or something like a 3rd party game, Persona 6 must have some gameplay after 8 years? Or I could be totally wrong

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Im not doubting you, I just hope you are wrong.

1. they could all be totally badly managed and have nothing to show.
2. They could be holding stuff back atm and gonna have shorter releases after they announce a game like TLOU1 Remake etc.

-Theres no way TLOU Factions hasnt got 20 seconds they could show us. Or something like a 3rd party game, Persona 6 must have some gameplay after 8 years? Or I could be totally wrong
Look around to other publishers, it's not a unique problem that Sony has, most other publishers are having a hard time producing games as well. Sony was one of the few exceptions but they aren't looking so exceptional right now.

There ain't nobody holding anything back, let go of that notion, the games are not ready. Persona 6 might be years away still for all we know and be crossgen and that project Re-Fantasy game they were working on at some point became vaporware. As for factions, I can't believe it's taking this long, does not seem like the correct development pace for a multiplayer game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Guy that got KOd: "That didn't count! I was holding back!"

Tin Foil Hat time: so Sony made a weak conference to bait Xbox into thinking they have nothing? 😂

Okay anyways back to reality. We are now back In the 2014 - 2015 phase of the PS4 cycle where's Sonya had nothing much available.

Truly they have do e a bang up job up till now, so I won't be too mad at them for a slight drought. I just think they need to work on their messaging and stop taking advantage of their core base.
Sony have been pretending they have nothing ever since the PS5 launched, since pretty much nothing outside of Spider-man 2 and Wolverine was revealed since then.

The obvious explanation is that we have seen what they had and anything outside of maybe Factions and Death Stranding 2 is still too far away.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
These so-called insiders are just saying things that are obvious, of course, Sony held back and it showed. Just like Xbox has been doing for 5 years now, holding back but at least they showed us CGI trailers and logos of what they are currently working on.
Spit Take Lol GIF by Justin

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
These so-called insiders are just saying things that are obvious, of course, Sony held back and it showed. Just like Xbox has been doing for 5 years now, holding back but at least they showed us CGI trailers and logos of what they are currently working on.
Xbox has been holding back for 20 years.

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
Xbox has been holding back for 20 years.
Well no fucking shit, thanks for stating the obvious, my comment still stands, can't twist it anyway around it. At least Xbox and NINTENDO showed what they are working on.

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
Idk what's funny, did you want me to mention Nintendo since anything with Xbox people get their underwear in a bunch? I mean it's okay buddy, we can't criticize PlayStation as well. ----- ALSO GO SPIDER-MAN 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINAL FANTASY 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Arminius

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Cracks Me Up Steve Harvey GIF by ABC Network

Stop this. PS aint got shit ready that's why you got CGI. They are not even confident with their builds .We ain't seeing 1st party games for another 2-3 years. It is what it is.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Looking back E3 2015 and E2016 were huge mistakes. The optimal strategy is clearly to not announce any games.

If people don't know what games are coming, they could be pretty much anything they can imagine (including nothing sure, but possibly anything).