The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

rccnjPM.png

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
PC releases? Or something to do with Switch 2?
Shiver has a lot of support work as well ports of Switch games(Mortal Kombat, Hogwarts Legacy, etc...)

My read on this is that they'll be helping or even porting select games for Nintendo on Switch 2.
It's not uncommon for Nintendo to publish ports/market on certain third party games on their platform.
I imagine that if they're also porting it themselves, they can ask for a bigger cut of any copies sold because they're doing a lot of the legwork.

24 Jun 2022
Shiver has a lot of support work as well ports of Switch games(Mortal Kombat, Hogwarts Legacy, etc...)

My read on this is that they'll be helping or even porting select games for Nintendo on Switch 2.
It's not uncommon for Nintendo to publish ports/market on certain third party games on their platform.
I imagine that if they're also porting it themselves, they can ask for a bigger cut of any copies sold because they're doing a lot of the legwork.

I imagine Shiver will help with doing what SEGA used to do a lot of in the early Genesis/MegaDrive days: port/reprogram select 3P games under license to their own platform.

Entirely different circumstances in both cases, of course, and Nintendo will just look at very specific games (I imagine 3P will do most ports themselves), specifically ones they are also interested in publishing.

Interesting development all around.

EDIT: Seen some people say it's also to port Switch games to Switch 2, but that makes zero sense unless Switch 2 is not BC with the Switch.

Which, well, would be a hellscape for Nintendo to get through considering the expectation of BC with modern systems, but I digress.

Last edited:

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Very smart move:

Buy the best studio for porting games to your own platforms.

Now Nintendo can either choose to let them work on games they want to have ported to their systems or get paid by other studios to make the ports for them, which will then generate even more money for them while being sold.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I imagine Shiver will help with doing what SEGA used to do a lot of in the early Genesis/MegaDrive days: port/reprogram select 3P games under license to their own platform.

Entirely different circumstances in both cases, of course, and Nintendo will just look at very specific games (I imagine 3P will do most ports themselves), specifically ones they are also interested in publishing.

Interesting development all around.

It is a very small acquisition, probably less than 30 employees if we go by the usual websites.
But it does give us an idea of what Nintendo thinks it needs to grow further and it is no surprise that it's 3rd party focused.

Considering their size and they it was Embracer who was selling, I'm to going to guess it is was about 500 dollars.

• Informative
Reactions: Evilms

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
PC releases? Or something to do with Switch 2?
Who knows, Nintendo didn't say anything.

To put more NES or N64 roms in an emulator they don't need to aquire a company, and I'd say there aren't WiiU games left worth porting to Switch/Switch 2. Not sure if there are more games worth ported/remastered from 3DS.

And well, 3rd party companies do their own ports. So maybe it's to port/remaster some Wii/WiiU/3DS game I forget, or maybe it's to make PC ports.

Or who knows, maybe it's just to make more "remixed" / refurbished NES & SNES for their game sub, as could be F-Zero 99 or World Championship.

Hopefully this studio can start porting Sony games to the Switch 2, Ratchet and Astro would be right at home
Sony could consider this only after Nintendo ported the entire Nintendo catalog to PlayStation. So probably never.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony Used to make Games for the SNES and Gameboy, it's time to return to tradition and bring back the Nintendo-Sony Partnership

They created the PlayStation to don't make more console games for other ones like Nintendo or Sega.

Nintendo is free to publish their own games on PlayStation, who is the market leader now.

Btw, regarding PC Sony has been making computer games since the '80s, when back then they also made their own computers and ever wireless controllers.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Zzero

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
They created the PlayStation to don't make more console games for other ones like Nintendo or Sega.

Nintendo is free to publish their own games on PlayStation, who is the market leader now.

Btw, regarding PC Sony has been making computer games since the '80s, when back then they also made their own computers and ever wireless controllers.

I really do wish they kept the partnership, Sony X Nintendo would be an extremely dominant force. Even Now Sony is Making the New Zelda movie

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I really do wish they kept the partnership, Sony X Nintendo would be an extremely dominant force. Even Now Sony is Making the New Zelda movie
Yes, and Sony is also making the Metal Gear Solid movie.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Interesting, Nintendo expanding outside of the Big N dna mantra?

Most of the time they let their 2nd party studios hire/collab with 3rd party like Intelligent did with Koei Techmo for Fire Emblem or Sora (Sakurai) with Bandai for Smash.

I would send these dudes to help GameFreak out with the next Pokemon lol, for how much money that IP rakes in, GF is absolutely abysmal.