Nobody is playing Halo Infinite

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
article

Nobody is playing Halo Infinite on Steam as player numbers drop to 2% of launch peak​

Halo Infinite multiplayer artwork

Halo Infinite is practically dead when it comes to the Steam version, as 98% of players from the game’s peak desert the multiplayer.
One of the most encouraging things about the Xbox Games Showcase is that it managed to impress without ever once mentioning Xbox stalwarts Halo and Gears Of War. Both franchises are past their peak but while there’s still a spark of life left in Gears of War it seems that Halo is effectively dead, at least on Steam.
Despite a relatively positive launch, Halo Infinite saw a swift and sharp decline in interest, with players frustrated at a lack of meaningful updates and a lot of unwanted excuses from developer 343 Industries.
The game has struggled on regardless but fans of the game on Steam have all but given up on the game, as its player numbers have dropped to just 2% of what they were at launch.
Launch figures for the game saw a healthy peak of 272,586 but a popular Reddit post recently noticed that it’d fallen to a paltry 5,732 players. We’ve just checked and – while it is the fourth of July today – that number is down to a barely credible 3,078.
That means more people are currently playing the likes of Dead Or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation and the 11-year-old Borderlands 2 than they are the most recent Halo game. And all this despite the fact that Halo Infinite’s multiplayer is a free download.
Halo Infinite is undoubtedly more popular on Xbox but since Microsoft never releases player numbers we’ll never know for sure.
Support for the game is continuing but it’s clear it’s already outlived its relevance, but what isn’t clear is what Microsoft will do with the series next.
There has been some talk that if the Activision Blizzard acquisition goes through they might put some Call Of Duty developers to work on the franchise but even if that did happen it would be a long, long time before any new game was released.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
"Support for the game is continuing but it’s clear it’s already outlived its relevance, but what isn’t clear is what Microsoft will do with the series next.
There has been some talk that if the Activision Blizzard acquisition goes through they might put some Call Of Duty developers to work on the franchise but even if that did happen it would be a long, long time before any new game was released."

I always felt that if the Merger did happen that this is the route they would take with the franchise its still stuck in the early 2000's of gameplay and feels sluggish it would make sense to have the current leader of the FPS franchise to take the helm on this. Another reason why they shouldn't get the merger Sony currently has only Bungie to compete on that front yet Xbox has multiple FPS multiplayers games.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
MLB The Show has more players on Xbox and Spider-Man Remastered has more players on Steam 😂 Horrible performance for a free to play live service game.

If Xbox was smart, they would just cut their losses, ditch this game and move onto Halo 7

Reactions: Box

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
That means more people are currently playing the likes of Dead Or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation
What? That game is 7 years old! Is it secretly a live service game or something?

BlueLyria

29 Apr 2023
B-but halo is a console game! Steam playercounts doesn't matter! and it doesn't show the playercount from the xbox app that no one uses except for gamepass users!
/s

It's also in the 22nd place in xbox's most played, behind titles like RDR2, Dead By Daylight, Destiny 2, Overwatch 2 and Diablo IV.
Edit: Checked on Brazil's chart and it's the 45th most played title, 12th in Mexico, 27th in the UK

Writing was on the wall for this one, I've said multiple times, Live Service games live by their popularity, the moment the game wasn't on the forefront and talked about coupled with all the missteps it was kinda obvious. Also, the longer TTK doesn't mesh well with modern shooters. Last time I played it the game had no servers in South America, horrible lag compensation and the NA servers that I played had constant issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAHGamer and Box

BlueLyria

29 Apr 2023
Halo Infinite is the biggest flop in modern videogame history.

They earned it.
I'll put an * and say the biggest flop for a franchise that once was the gold standard, because otherwise we have flops such as Redfall, New World, Anthem, Destruction All Stars, Babylon's Fall, Lawbreakers, Evolve and others I can't name from the top of my head

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I said the game sucked when it released, and the review scores were way too high. Because I played it for as long as I could stomach. I think I got some push back from the bots but numbers don’t lie. No one wants to play the game.

Because it does, indeed, suck.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
This has been the case for months - low Steam numbers, and the game nowhere near the top of the Xbox most played lists in the UK and US.

I genuinely think 343i made a typo when they put out a press release for the game. They meant to say "Halo Infinite is the start of the next ten months of Halo."