OPINION: Bungie will effectively run Playstation Studios within a years time.

D

Deleted member 417

The clueless hottakes are entertaining at least.
I can understand the frustration built from not having a show for 2 years then showing off middling and piddly details and CGI trailers; something we have all raked Spencer over the coals for.

However, I don't think this is 'the' showcase and just a taste of what's to come. There will be a proper showcase, showing off everything in the pipeline, but as others have said, maybe Keighley wants to announce the games on his show. The Summer of Games gets more non-Sony fan eyes on it than a playstation event. It's the ideal place to drop TLoU3 + season 2 of TLoU. It's just good business.

GaaS can go fornicate itself with an Iron stick though and I thoroughly hope that Factions is a one and done game. We don't need new content or updates, unless you have some kind of severe mental deficiency.

Apex Legends was ruined by new content and a new map. The gameplay loop was perfect.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'm not writing Concord off but that trailer was incredibly tone-death. How can you sell a game with zero gameplay, zero narrative plot, a largely unknown studio and what is honestly some very generic looking Outer Worlds/Fallout style space junkfood. About the only thing in the trailer that stood out to me as good was the game's logo. Here's hoping its the stylized 80s EPCOT shooter we didn't know we needed.
Sony didn't invent the announcement teasers with this showcase, and their idea isn't to sell a game.

It's only a first sneek peak to announce the project they are working on, in this case mentioned that will be released next year and that it's a PvP FPS game and offered a first glimpse of its setting or visual style vibes and reminded the platforms where they already said it will release.

Announcement teasers don't show enough to judge the game. That will happen somewhere in the future once they show gameplay and explain more about the game. We won't have to wait a lot because the game is planned to be released next year.

Fanboys still praising Bungie and Hermen as they kill off half of Sony's first party projects. Destiny is an okay multiplayer game but nothing monumental enough to warrant it's developers to have carte blanche over one of the best publishers in the world's multiplayer content.
If they have some quality standards it's better to give time to the projects that need it and to kill those who aren't good enough and can't be saved in a reasonable time/budget.

Some of us prefer to wait a bit more, and maybe some game canned but to be confident that we'll get quality new games like GoWR, GT7 or HZD etc. than to see them releasing any yellow metacritic crap as MS does.

And no, Bungie having carte blanche over PS Studios is a conspiracy theory with no facts backing it. Bungie is a fully owned SIE subsidiary, that since it's one of the most important and successful GaaS/MP/FPS teams in the world with records as creating the fastest selling new IP ever, as part of their integration they'll share their GaaS knowledge, best practices and expertise in the GaaS areas where the other GaaS SIE teams can learn from.

Bungie won't touch the non-GaaS SIE games, but some of the knowledge they'll share may help them (regarding creation of new IP, world building, FPS/shooters, MP, etc).

BTW they delivery in revenue like no other studio… just on PC last FU was around $150m… PS is even bigger.
Last FY GoWR sold 11M in around 3 months, which is way more money.

Also, what is the source source for that '$150M only in PC'?

Patcher guesstimate was that they made around $200M/year, someone else a very vague guesstimation of $100-500M/year. This is all I remember regarding their revenue. But I take them both as only random personal guesses. In addition to this PS also should be a big chunk of their revenue, and Xbox with a pretty small percentage a bit too.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It's not like Bungie has gotten everything right with Destiny. The first game reviewed poorly and the team struggled to make new content. Remember when peter dinklage's sleepy drone performance was completely removed?

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom
OP
OP
nongkris

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Lots of fear-mongering and paranoia right now.

I can only assume some people don't have much to play.
On the playstation first party side, absolutely not. Finished Horizon and waiting on final fantasy, but I've had to resort to Zelda to get me through this drought. This thread is mostly about how in 2024 I mostly WON'T have anything to play from Playstation thanks to Hermen and this GAAS strategy.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Destiny bring in 300 to 500M per year. People stay or return and invest. Definition of cash cow. They know what they re doing.

Destiny has probably best fps gameplay out there.

They wont interfere with single player stuff. Concord and fairgames got green light.

Pixel opus was small studio irrelevant in grand scheme.
who knows what were Deviation cooking.

Its better to cancel game early than to spend 5 or 10 years and gez dud like MM wasted 10 years on Dreams.

I played uncharted and tlou mp back in the day. It couldnt hold my attention for too long. Controls were mediocre for mp, too slow, mtx were boring, uninteresting.

Sony s making mistake putting ND on gaas. For those games u need huge studio focused only on that constantly. U cant put game out, add few mtx and jump to other game. They should focus on SP stuff.
They have multiple teams internally, one of which is doing SP stuff. And they WANTED to make this game tbh, they weren't "put on" it.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
It's not like Bungie has gotten everything right with Destiny. The first game reviewed poorly and the team struggled to make new content. Remember when peter dinklage's sleepy drone performance was completely removed?
That would tell me they learned how to spot and correct mistakes and how to make a game into a hit and keep it alive despite a rocky launch.

So again, why would their input not be valued?

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Reading people talking about ND following recommendations from Bungie makes me sick.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They have multiple teams internally, one of which is doing SP stuff. And they WANTED to make this game tbh, they weren't "put on" it.
Back in 2019, when they started working on this, Sony didn't even have a GaaS plan yet. They were brainstorming and they thought their idea was too big for a regular MP mode.

It was so long ago, maybe it became a Frankenstein monster project ala Destiny with expansions and stuff.

Reactions: Vertigo

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
That would tell me they learned how to spot and correct mistakes and how to make a game into a hit and keep it alive despite a rocky launch.

So again, why would their input not be valued?
Input, probably is valuable. Having some kind of publisher wide veto seems unwarranted. Especially because ND has already made successful online games of their own.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Input, probably is valuable. Having some kind of publisher wide veto seems unwarranted. Especially because ND has already made successful online games of their own.
They don't have any veto, they simply joined the other PS Studios and SIE publishing in the SIE team that reviews GaaS specific stuff to provide their expertise on this area, that's all.

Back in 2019, when they started working on this, Sony didn't even have a GaaS plan yet.
Back then they had GaaS under development like GT7 (remember it was planned to be released in 2021), MLB, Helldivers 2 (under development since 2016) or Concord (under development since 2018).

But yes, it's possible that the project started without considering GaaS, and later they tried to add it but didn't work well due to lack of related expertise, so maybe they gave extra time to improve an polish the GaaS part, such as the post launch strategy of post launch content roadmap.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Isn’t it amusing how far some have to distort reality ti try to make a completely disingenuous point?

The rate that guy makes strawmen could cause a global shortage of straw.
Probably the best developer in the industry had their project scaled back because of Bungie's evaluation. What would you call that?

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
On the playstation first party side, absolutely not. Finished Horizon and waiting on final fantasy, but I've had to resort to Zelda to get me through this drought. This thread is mostly about how in 2024 I mostly WON'T have anything to play from Playstation thanks to Hermen and this GAAS strategy.
We don't even know the full release schedule for 2024 so this comes across as scare-mongering nonsense.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Probably the best developer in the industry had their project scaled back because of Bungie's evaluation. What would you call that?
I would call that Bungie evaluating a project and Sony choosing to listen to their advice. That's assuming the report is even accurate, anyways. Regardless, that would mean PlayStation vetoed it.

ND appears to believe it's the right call too.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty