Oscar Winners 2023 List

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
While it is true you can't always judge a book by it's cover, a good percentage of the time you can judge whether or not something is up your alley by reading a plot synopsis. Maybe I even would enjoy the movie, but not being interested is not the same thing as giving a judgement.

Even so, you should stop saying absurd crap like "they ignore comedies" when the movie that won the most oscars is a comedy.

I appreciate your cursory googling but this more or less demonstrates what I'm saying and "low brow" classics are not considered for awards. 18 awards for horror in 92 years is not really demonstrating that they think there is much worth highlighting in the genre. It'd be kind of absurd if they didn't recognize any in almost 100 years of course, but again this just speaks to the fact that I'd be much more interested in a consumer's choice awards.

Maybe because horror movies are usually lower budget and don't attract incredible actors? The Conjuring, one of the best horror movies in the past 20 or 30 years, wouldn't win an oscar, it's just not that good.

BTW even thinking Marverik and Túr are better movies than Everything Everywhere All at Once... their choice is not bad at all because Everything Everywhere All at Once is really great and actual... few movies can have the strong impact it has and to be fair most comedies don't.

I think that the movie is so out there, so creative, so different, that it deserved the accolades. I just don't agree with Jamie Lee Curtis getting the Oscar, Angela Bassett deserved it way more.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Everything Everywhere deserved all those wins, it's an amazing movie and puts Marvel to shame on how to do a compelling multiverse movie on a much smaller budget.

Also, Branden Fraser. What a fucking incredible comeback story.

Reactions: AngryRobotBees

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Will Smith Lol GIF by The Academy Awards

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Even so, you should stop saying absurd crap like "they ignore comedies" when the movie that won the most oscars is a comedy.

Prior to this year you would have to reach back pretty far to find a comedy recognized, it's a pretty obtuse point to make.

The Conjuring, one of the best horror movies in the past 20 or 30 years, wouldn't win an oscar, it's just not that good.

This is my point, and which is total bullshit of them because they nominate and award absolute shite all the time, how about Crash winning best picture in 2004, nobody I knew watched that. I think people forget how out of left field that pick was.

Lost in Translation alone was better that year but you also had Monster, Master & Commander, Final Destination 2, Old School, House of 1000 Corpses, X-2, Bruce Almighty, 28 Days Later, Bad Boys 2, Mystic River, Kill Bill 1, Elf, Bad Santa, House of Sand and Fog.........but Crash was the best? CRASH? It had the correct politics basically, it's entirely forgettable preachy trash I dare you to summarize without looking up. Everything I just listed I guarantee I can find more fans of than Crash, but being the best doesn't really mean anything to the academy because they just like the smell of their own farts.