PlayStation Earbuds and Project Q Announced - 8 inch screen remote device

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Valve: spends 10+ years solving the puzzle of gaming on Linux to release their own portable running on their own OS that isn't Windows.

Sony: Can't bother with a portable, releases a nonsensical hardware that they are ashamed to even detail. Can't bother having all of their own games running on their own hardware that sells 120m+ each gen.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
If you play at home with a good connection, it's basically a portable PS5.

The reception would be better if it could at least play PS4 games locally.

that's a totally different and far more expensive product. also you have the problem of people with ps4 discs getting screwed over.

Presumably those people would still own a PS5 to be remote playing through this Remote Play Controller?

These people in question would have had to, like me, bought a PS5 Digital and got rid of old PS4, but not like me, would have been expecting a handheld PS4 to retain the ability to play full-sized Bluray discs? Even the old PSP had smaller sized UMD's? I don't think those people exist.

You'd need to accept it as a digital only PS4 as a drawback, but trade-offs would be that this hypothetical PS4 Portable would have built-in storage for locally playing of games, and could also be able of streaming PS+ games, as well as just Remote Playing into the PS5.

It side-steps the pitfalls thrown at a new PS Vita/new PSP, with its older mental associations of a split games library and splitting dev team efforts.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The main issue is because it can't play locally it requires an internet connection. Meaning you have to buy a separate wifi hotspot and carry it around with you. At that point just use the ps remote app on your phone.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Valve: spends 10+ years solving the puzzle of gaming on Linux to release their own portable running on their own OS that isn't Windows.

Sony: Can't bother with a portable, releases a nonsensical hardware that they are ashamed to even detail. Can't bother having all of their own games running on their own hardware that sells 120m+ each gen.
Go troll on REEEEEEE, adults are talking here.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
The main issue is because it can't play locally it requires an internet connection. Meaning you have to buy a separate wifi hotspot and carry it around with you. At that point just use the ps remote app on your phone.
Mate they're fucking shit. The official Sony Remote play app seems to want a PS pad in there somewhere the last time I checked, so now you're carrying round your controller, maybe a controller-phone attachment clip, or worse, your pad and your laptop if you're on Windows' remote play app.

There's 3rd party remote play apps which can at least use other phone-shell style controller attachments like the gamesir v2 USBC instead. And they're wank too. If they stay on the play session themselves without cutting, the regular phone stuff just interupts it, or kills it entirely to take priority. And I say that whilst having a two screen Surface Duo phone, I can only imagine it's worse on a on-screen phone. Remote play also kills my phone battery like a mother fucker.

WiFi signal strength and coverage ain't there yet to go at it from simply a remote play/game streaming vector.

They're not going to take the time to throw PS game iso's into an android wrapper, and code in new touch controls, and throw them on the android store to bolster the idea of a PS Xperia feature smart phone.

They need a portable device with a PS4 OS and local storage as baseline, and the usual features included. They can fend off Steam Deck, portable pc's, Switch et all from taking further hold and causing wider business and brand loyalty issues for Sony later down the line.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
big IF I say
With the popularity of things like the Logitech Cloud, the Odin and Loki handhelds and even the Steam Deck, I wouldn’t say betting against it is an automatic win. Not to mention, it’s unknown what kind of native capabilities it has.

Hell, it could be the equivalent of two Vitas taped together and be able to run all the Classics on PSN well enough.

• thinking_hard

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Those things are popular? I don't even see who would want that. Just play on your iPad or phone.
Some don't like touch controls.

Some don't want to clip and unclip their phone to their pad.

Some would just want a dedicated device with buttons, say, if the TV's busy so they can still game, or to pass the kids the somewhat more durable android tablet for remote gaming than phone+pad. pad.

They're not looking to override their phone, and all the headaches that go with that experience.

There's a skism. In my mind it's:
1 - Touchscreen gaming.
2 - Portable with buttons access to your already existing games library away from main home console.

The market/scenarios certainly exist, but people don't want gimped half products. A Vita without back buttons, and games blacklisted against "casting" to TV. A PSVitaTV set-top box salvage product with no Netflix app in UK, at a time when such a thing was more of a selling point.

More recently, the 1-2 punch of a button-less phone shell/cooling fan followed by a Remote Play only controller.

Sony are the only ones with the depth and range of back catalogue of games, not to mention my stranded PS3 digital purchases that haven't migrated over to new PS+ service, like there are PSNow games which didn't transfer over. Sony are the only gaming brand I would want to bare publicly (at least if it was a new handheld form factor and not an inelegant "controller-screen").

And they just keep fucking it up, literally coasting by on PS3 era turnaround, PS4 era success and continued XB fuckups of XB's own all throughout.

• brain

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022

Do we know the primary use case for switch and steam deck? If majority just use them around the house then the Q covers that.

In that case a cheap dumb terminal device has its place….no added dev effort, full fat ps5 games and full DualSense controller experience would make this the best option…that screen is huge too.

The key would be in connectivity - the current remote play experience is too clunky to get going, shit needs to be press a button and you’re in within seconds. If it does the same searching rigmarole like a phone remote play than it’s a failure.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Do we know the primary use case for switch and steam deck? If majority just use them around the house then the Q covers that.

In that case a cheap dumb terminal device has its place….no added dev effort, full fat ps5 games and full DualSense controller experience would make this the best option…that screen is huge too.

The key would be in connectivity - the current remote play experience is too clunky to get going, shit needs to be press a button and you’re in within seconds. If it does the same searching rigmarole like a phone remote play than it’s a failure.
My experience with this stuff is that it just don't work as reliably or as easy as it would need to. Seems to make sense only on very specific circumstances.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
This handheld is so useless. Even diehard PS Fanboys on Twitter admit, this is a device no on asked for. Sony is leaving money on the table, see alone how successful proper handhelds became. Steam Deck, Switch, Aya Neo, Asus Rog Ally etc. Compared to home console it’s a niche but even less than PSVR! Handhelds can sell millions op units, Switch has proved this. I swear Jim Ryan will singlehanded kill the soul of PlayStation.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
My experience with this stuff is that it just don't work as reliably or as easy as it would need to. Seems to make sense only on very specific circumstances.
I’m not going to write it off till the reviews hit. If it’s reliable and a solid & lag free experience I will get one.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This handheld is so useless. Even diehard PS Fanboys on Twitter admit, this is a device no on asked for. Sony is leaving money on the table, see alone how successful proper handhelds became. Steam Deck, Switch, Aya Neo, Asus Rog Ally etc. Compared to home console it’s a niche but even less than PSVR! Handhelds can sell millions op units, Switch has proved this. I swear Jim Ryan will singlehanded kill the soul of PlayStation.

I said before in this thread - If Jimbo had any foresight, this thing would include a 5G sim card slot so that people can play games using a mobile network. But alas, he had to make it pretty much useless outside the home.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Those things are popular? I don't even see who would want that. Just play on your iPad or phone.
That’s why there’s so much hyperbolic stupidity being posted in gaming spaces lately.

People have to realize that they are not the one the universe revolves around, and companies are going to make things that will appeal to others, but not them.

If I ever see a Showcase or State of Play where there’s nothing at all that I am not interested in, that would be the moment I worry a little about what Sony is doing, because it means they aren’t keeping up on the variety.

• brain