PlayStation Factions Civil War

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Still making memes of me over on Gaf, eh!

View attachment 1483
Sony will care if that "cheaper PC release price" and/or "piracy"/"youtube game movie" as the way to not buy games really takes hold, they're already losing 30% of a cheaper release price to Valve on Steam... as Valve out here with a portabke machine. Their console is coming, right? Combo'ed alongside whatever Valve call their PCVR headset, or a Deck 2?

Valve are about to pull on Sony what Sony Imagesoft did to Sega and later released the PS. Or MS did to SEGA, comparing DC and later the XB.

In a more customer facing role, who's seriously buying a PS6 and more expensive games, when with a Steam Deck you get cheaper prices/portability/fan patches/fixes etc.

They're making a rod for their own back later on, and Valve is patting them on the back looking for that soft spot.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Sony will care if that "cheaper PC release price" and/or "piracy"/"youtube game movie" as the way to not buy games really takes hold, they're already losing 30% of a cheaper release price to Valve on Steam... as Valve out here with a portabke machine. Their console is coming, right? Combo'ed alongside whatever Valve call their PCVR headset, or a Deck 2?

Valve are about to pull on Sony what Sony Imagesoft did to Sega and later released the PS. Or MS did to SEGA, comparing DC and later the XB.

In a more customer facing role, who's seriously buying a PS6 and more expensive games, when with a Steam Deck you get cheaper prices/portability/fan patches/fixes etc.

They're making a rod for their own back later on, and Valve is patting them on the back looking for that soft spot.

Not to mention, I was just thinking.... Valve supported Microsoft buying ABK and fucked Sony over when it came down to it. They could have just stayed neutral but they didn't. We got no Half Life Alyx for PSVR after all the ports they got and as you say there is the Steam Deck and they already tried Steam Machines but who knows when they might try again or if in the future Steam Decks get good enough to rival a home console in the tv mode...

It's a very stupid thing Sony are doing...just to sell a handful extra games, ear buds, headsets and monitors..... putting their biggest business at risk.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Not to mention, I was just thinking.... Valve supported Microsoft buying ABK and fucked Sony over when it came down to it. They could have just stayed neutral but they didn't. We got no Half Life Alyx for PSVR after all the ports they got and as you say there is the Steam Deck and they already tried Steam Machines but who knows when they might try again or if in the future Steam Decks get good enough to rival a home console in the tv mode...

It's a very stupid thing Sony are doing...just to sell a handful extra games, ear buds, headsets and monitors..... putting their biggest business at risk.
They could sell those peripherals with a PS/EVO/ESPORTS branding/context. Fuck PC, and fuck Valve. We all know Gabe's gonna sell back to MS one day and retire. Anything Sony are doing in that space should be focused on a PS4 Portable.

OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

It doesn't stop at just the lack of Half-Life Alyx. Sony goes out of their way to port everything to Steam when plenty of Valve games that could be sold on PlayStation aren't ported (L4D, Half-Life, Portal, etc). It's an extremely one sides relationship where Sony is pretty much Valve's bitch.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It doesn't stop at just the lack of Half-Life Alyx. Sony goes out of their way to port everything to PC when plenty of Valve games that could be sold on PlayStation aren't ported (L4D, Half-Life, Portal, etc). It's an extremely one sides relationship where Sony is pretty much Valve's bitch.

If they had any sense of strategy, they would at the very least put their games on Epic and not Steam....

That helps splinter PC more.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ksdixon
OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If they had any sense of strategy, they would at the very least put their games on Epic and not Steam....

That helps splinter PC more.
Epic sucks, they should either leverage their games on Steam to get more games on PlayStation or would just have their own store and keep 30% as well as leverage their PlayStation dominance to be big on PC with things like crossbuy/crosssave/PS+.

It's a complete failed strategy where they risk everything and at best they end up selling a few hundred thousand more copies of their games that they have to now spend a lot of development time porting.

It seems that all the strategic mistakes come from the fact Sony believes they can make massively successful GaaS games that will make it all worth it for them. I have no idea why they believe that, they put way too much faith in Bungie guiding them to the promise land when Bungie is just a company that spent 20+ years making the same type of sci-fi FPS and isn't even dominant in the GaaS space (there are plenty of studios that did just as well or better).

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Yep. Sony's bread and butter, the folks that buy their console for FIFA, Fortnite and COD will end up buying a steam deck or a steam machine...

The things I have to hear.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Yep. Sony's bread and butter, the folks that buy their console for FIFA, Fortnite and COD will end up buying a steam deck or a steam machine...

Nuh, FIFA and efootball are popular for local PvP.
COD fans are not portable kind of people either.
Fortnite already on phones for people who care

OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

Why not buy a Steam machine if it shares all the games PlayStation have while also including PC and Xbox games?

It's not like PlayStation OS and store is this awesome thing, the only thing holding something like a Steam Machine from being successful is figuring out optimization and finding the right business model.

Sony is extremely foolish to not see it as a threat in the future. The PS5 is already a success but when it comes time for their next console things could be looking a lot more complicated.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Why not buy a Steam machine if it shares all the games PlayStation have while also including PC and Xbox games?

It's not like PlayStation OS and store is this awesome thing, the only thing holding something like a Steam Machine from being successful is figuring out optimization and finding the right business model.

Sony is extremely foolish to not see it as a threat in the future. The PS5 is already a success but when it comes time for their next console things could be looking a lot more complicated.

For us and other enthusiasts is common sense but believe me the bulk of the console gaming market does not think that way. They just want an easy way to play games.

Steam deck is not quite there yet, and will never be because it's a PC.
Steam deck targets folks already invested in PC gaming, somewhat tech savvy that want to play the games they already own as portable.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
You guys realize Sony can delist their games off Steam right? It's not that deep. The steam deck isn't even a massive success. Playstation or Xbox fans aren't gonna jump ship to buy a Steam Box when they'll still have to wait years to buy their the newest PS exclusives.

The doom and glooming is kinda reaching the edge of a cliff now, like relax.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
For us and other enthusiasts is common sense but believe me the bulk of the console gaming market does not think that way. They just want an easy way to play games.

Steam deck is not quite there yet, and will never be because it's a PC.
Steam deck targets folks already invested in PC gaming, somewhat tech savvy that want to play the games they already own as portable.
Maybe I have a distorted view but I find even gaming on Linux extremely easy these days if you stick to Steam. The problem ends up being fucked up hardware prices and fucked up ports. My read is that Valve is using the Deck to set up the playing field and will make their move when the time comes.

Valve disinterest for console is telling to me, they already see consoles as direct competitors while both MS and Sony sees Steam as harmless. Valve is the most ambitious game company and usually thinks many steps ahead.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
All I see is that the cope for this fanbase is at an all time high. Who would have thought a lot of the folks saying "We ain't like those filthy Xbots bootlicking Phil" "We ain't like that" didn't really mean it.... boy ohh boy. What happened?

In a couple days: "Wait till next showcase - end of the year" - Source: Trust Me. "Sony acquiring CDPR" - Source: trust me!

"Wait till next..." and "acquisition talks..." narratives B2B

We down bad for sure....

I think theres a big difference as in, we’ve had years and years of great games compared to Phil Spencer fans. You can’t compare the last 13 years of success and games we’ve had. Even if we had slow years in 2021 and 2014

I admit there should be alot more from both 1st party and 3rd exclusives, even if we got 11 good games from 1st party in the last 3 years like TLOU2, GOT, Dream, Demons Souls, Returnal, Spiderman MM, Horizon 2, GT7, God of War etc etc. There should of been more and definitely more 3rd party exclusives both out already and been told about.
Overall the PS could be so much better, from there current crappy marketing, Japan studios, forgotten IP, and how they havent invested in alot of genres like 1st person shooters anymore, JRPG, WRPG, arcade racer etc etc. There are so many issues but we’re nothing close being the worst platform..

Gaas wise, like I said before. We’ve seen 3 Online titles from PS newly bought studios. They bought House Marque and Bluepoint, most probably making single player games. Insomniac is on the road to releasing 4 single player games in 4 years? Spiderman MM, Ratchet, Spiderman 2 and Wolverine. Cory Balrog supposedly making a game and that wont be gaas. ND Im waiting to hear more before I jump the fence. Games get delayed all the time and that doesn’t stop Development schedule on other titles. ND hasnt dissapointed me since forever.

Yes there should be more, more expansion of the current studios, making there teams bigger to speed up titles or create more. And they also should be doing more 3rd party deals and purchases.

Im not a Jim fan and far from a Herman fan but cant compare it to Phil whos only in a job because he had a blank chequebook to support Gamepass and buy Bethesda, Ninja Theory and Obsidian and hunting Activision.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Port begging exists for a reason. "Nobody cares" tho... "Exclusivity is counter to what gaming is about" and the whole movement and narratives against exclusives in the run up to the launch of the PS5 and shortly thereafter.... which died down as soon as Sony starting porting to PC. Says a lot about "Nobody cares"....

A ton of hypocrites and BSers hiding their agendas, motives and intentions thinking shaming the other side of the coin will somehow net them their "victory"...

Yep lots of this on twitter too

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It doesn't stop at just the lack of Half-Life Alyx. Sony goes out of their way to port everything to PC when plenty of Valve games that could be sold on PlayStation aren't ported (L4D, Half-Life, Portal, etc). It's an extremely one sides relationship where Sony is pretty much Valve's bitch.
Yep, its a bizarre deal. L4D, HL1-2-Alyx- Portal1-2 could easily sell well on PS4/PS5

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Maybe I have a distorted view but I find even gaming on Linux extremely easy these daysif you stick to Steam. The problem ends up being fucked up hardware prices and fucked up ports. My read is that Valve is using the Deck to set up the playing field and will make their move when the time comes.

Valve disinterest for console is telling to me, they already see consoles as direct competitors while both MS and Sony sees Steam as harmless. Valve is the most ambitious game company and usually thinks many steps ahead.
With deck they ensure all games works on Linux / Steam OS. Valve wants out of Windows control. They expressed that many times in the past.
These guys are very strategic.

OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
With deck they ensure all games works on Linux / Steam OS. Valve wants out of Windows control. They expressed that many times in the past.
These guys are very strategic.
Exactly their shift away from Windows is a 10+ years plan that they were impressively very committed to without any obvious short term return.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
FY 23 - 55%, FY 25 - 60%

If you can't see the pattern until it literally hits you in the head years down the line when the games release you're an absolute fool... unfortunately we've have way too many, and they're bound to form the majority - simply helpless fanboys and low IQ individuals that don't understand the scale of what's presented to them in numbers or how that translates to the games themselves years down the line.

This shit showcase is but just a taste and that sort of allocation of resources in those graphs hasn't even kicked in yet. If all the conformist are going to do is throw their heads in the sand with their ass up high, they'll get the fucking they deserve eventually cause those single-player games from your favorite PS studios will eventually release, big gaps included as they go, and then there will be, well even bigger gaps. Of course Sony will try to soften their diaper rash with third-party deals but that's not a solution. So what then? Of course the options: to disappear from boards in shame (a few) or completely accept consciously their condition as corporate slaves (majority) or become a renegade after seeing the problem by the time it's too late (hence just a fool - a few).

It's however clear that this train is already full steam ahead. I don't think this leadership will be there to handle the fallout of their policies. This leadership will get replaced (scheduled as usual) before a competitor positions themselves and waits for all the stars to align to exploit the long term strategic mistakes and stupidities of these clowns. Those who will have to handle it will be as usual, new leadership personal at SIE who picked up the baton, including even a new Sony CEO. Btw this is not unusual for Sony's other entertainment divisions. mainly TV, where they suffer from this a lot throughout - leadership change to leadership change. No Kaz anymore to understand the PS business and its competitive environment. What you have today is a penny pincher accountant as CEO. So when Sony's CEO demands: "Do something on PC and increase shareholder value".... the underlings at SIE go: "Ohh yes there is this GAAS, and for PC, well ports to Steam" - "we on it boss". Since the boss is too ignorant to understand how the competitive environment reacts to that strategy, and how other players may position themselves to exploit any vulnerabilities of that strategy - only guided by numbers - it's no surprise you get this. The biggest problem idiots online make when assessing things like this by "falling in line like a good fanboy" is thinking just cause someone is at a position of power, that somehow they possess authoritative knowledge and know better than them, or know it all. These very people haven't even played a 10% fraction of the games a gaming consumer does in their lifetime (and I think I'm being generous here). The disconnect is, to put it mildly, huge. Their connection to you is mostly through numbers and data on a sheet of paper.

Every single stakeholder in Sony's PlayStation demise as the dominant player in the premium games industry, barring Nintendo (for strategic reasons - they both need each other) should be applauding and cheering Jim Ryan and Herman Hulst leadership and direction of PlayStation. They're not gonna get a better duo. Many already understand this and act/behave accordingly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If FY 23 - 55%, FY 24 - 60%

If you can't see the pattern until it literally hits you in the head years down the line when the games release you're an absolute fool... unfortunately we've have way too many that don't understand the scale of what's presented to them in numbers or how that translates to the games themselves years down the line.

This shit showcase is but just a taste. If all the conformist are going to do is thrown their heads in the sand with their ass up high, they'll get the fucking they deserve eventually cause those single-player games from your favorite PS studios will eventually release, big gaps included as they go, and then there will be, well even bigger gaps. What then? Of course dissappear from boards, completely subdue to their condition as corporate slaves or become a renegade after seeing the problem by the time it's too late. Although in my opinion this train is already full steam ahead. I don't think this leadership will be there to handle the fallout. They will get replaced before a competitor positions themselves to exploit the stupidities of these clowns.
You can ignore the Live Services and just look at traditional games:
ps5-first-party-3.large.jpg

It will take about 6 years to get past what they were spending in FY19. How are things going to pick pace if they are spending so little money on it and games are already expected to take longer to make? They also project to sell less games over time... why is that?

Frustrated World Cup GIF