PlayStation Showcase Aftermath - Rate the show

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Remove the CGI teaser reveals, have the indies and third party stuff and tail end with Spider-Man 2, and you have a great State of Play.

I don't think this should've been a Showcase, and CGI reveals irk the fuck out of me.

So there, 6-7 maybe

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Dragons Dogma 2 = 10/10 show

ive waited 10 years to see that footage. Take that out and this show was carried by insomniac yet again, which is so strange to me. PS Studios is still dark, after all this time. It's getting a bit worrying at this point.

BUT as someone who loves gaming regardless of whats exclusive or not, we did indeed get new looks at Final Fantasy XVI, Street Fighter 6, Metal Gear 3, Dragons Dogma 2, Alan Wake, and Spider-Man 2 alongside 2 new IPs. I cant complain tbh

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Things I did like:

I dont have to see gameplay, some would be good. I prefer to see a reveal than nothing at all

-Marathon ( Not great that its not exclusive at all )
-Phantom Blade. Looks cool
-Concord - Great to see something from new 1st party but what is it? Single player? AAA? 1st person? WRPG? Gaas? Platformer?

-Smaller titles i liked, Revenant Hill, Sword of Sea, Plucky Squre, Neva, Cat quest etc, but what is exclusive and too much timed wasted.

-MGS3…. Yay but still Hmmmm?

Inbetween feelings:

-Spiderman 2, looks cool. But visual downgrade from reveal trailer. Really shouldn’t be an end of show stopper. More like something to start.

-Fairgame - Really glad we got to see a new IP from one of the new 1st party teams. Awesome tbh.
Not too much of a complaint, just doesnt look anything special. Seems like an Bbisoft or EA title. Could end up really good or be PS’s Redfall with an even less interesting setting lol.

-MGS 3 has left a bad taste in my mouth.
Not exclusive so will be held back by Series S
No idea who the studio is?
No BluePoint
More Big boss. Why not MGS1?
Reusing voice acting. No Kojima involved. Will aiming be changed?
Remaster Series doesn’t even include MGS4 for PS5

Things that sucked:

-Time wasted on FF16, SF6, GT7 Trailer, Beat Saber and bit too much non exclusive indies and 3rd party games etc

-Streaming Portable? Like who asked for this? My Phone and Ipad could do better. Should of waited and released something to compete with Switch 2, Steamdeck 2 etc

-After 2 years of nothing, we needed to see more. Even if its not gameplay, Reveal what Naughty Dog, Suckerpunch, Cory Balrogs games etc. London and the other studios. Bluepoint? I know the teams have been doing side projects or Bluepoint helping with God of War R but this output or reveal output isn’t good enough.

-Wheres the 3rd party exclusives like Persona 6 or a Miyzaki title? I thought Hermen and PS have secured so many good 3rd party stuff? So Far Ronin, which looks awesome and is also 1st/2nd party.
But we need more Theres no way Persona 6 isn’t ready to show 10 seconds as its been in development for years.

What could of changed the show for me:

-3rd party exclusive like MGS3 / Persona 6/ Castlevania.

Just a CGI or title reveal would of been fine:
-Ghost of Tsushima 2 or Bluepoints next game.
-Cory Balrogs game
-End with Naughty Dogs new IP + Factions 2 clip

flaccidsnake

Banned
2 May 2023
I love Playstation. But Im not gonna be like an Xbox fan and say that Showcase was good. It was poor form.
I dont care if they have won awards. There output on reveals and games news has not been good for the last few years
We're overdue to see a whole bunch of established 1st party teams like Sucker Punch, Bend, Naughty Dog, etc. I'm with you on that. But we got to see reveals for almost all the newly acquired teams, which I did not expect. Certainly did not expect a Bungie reveal.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
We're overdue to see a whole bunch of established 1st party teams like Sucker Punch, Bend, Naughty Dog, etc. I'm with you on that. But we got to see reveals for almost all the newly acquired teams, which I did not expect. Certainly did not expect a Bungie reveal.

Yeah I was happy to see things from the new teams. That was redeeming. Wish Bungie went exclusive or at last PS5/PC only.
3 reveals from 3 new teams, when you put it that way. Its not so bad. But we still needed more

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Things I did like:

I dont have to see gameplay, some would be good. I prefer to see a reveal than nothing at all

-Marathon ( Not great that its not exclusive at all )
-Phantom Blade. Looks cool
-Concord - Great to see something from new 1st party but what is it? Single player? AAA? 1st person? WRPG? Gaas? Platformer?

-Smaller titles i liked, Revenant Hill, Sword of Sea, Plucky Squre, Neva, Cat quest etc, but what is exclusive and too much timed wasted.

-MGS3…. Yay but still Hmmmm?

Inbetween feelings:

-Spiderman 2, looks cool. But visual downgrade from reveal trailer. Really shouldn’t be an end of show stopper. More like something to start.

-Fairgame - Really glad we got to see a new IP from one of the new 1st party teams. Awesome tbh.
Not too much of a complaint, just doesnt look anything special. Seems like an Bbisoft or EA title. Could end up really good or be PS’s Redfall with an even less interesting setting lol.

-MGS 3 has left a bad taste in my mouth.
Not exclusive so will be held back by Series S
No idea who the studio is?
No BluePoint
More Big boss. Why not MGS1?
Reusing voice acting. No Kojima involved. Will aiming be changed?
Remaster Series doesn’t even include MGS4 for PS5

Things that sucked:

-Time wasted on FF16, SF6, GT7 Trailer, Beat Saber and bit too much non exclusive indies and 3rd party games etc

-Streaming Portable? Like who asked for this? My Phone and Ipad could do better. Should of waited and released something to compete with Switch 2, Steamdeck 2 etc

-After 2 years of nothing, we needed to see more. Even if its not gameplay, Reveal what Naughty Dog, Suckerpunch, Cory Balrogs games etc. London and the other studios. Bluepoint? I know the teams have been doing side projects or Bluepoint helping with God of War R but this output or reveal output isn’t good enough.

-Wheres the 3rd party exclusives like Persona 6 or a Miyzaki title? I thought Hermen and PS have secured so many good 3rd party stuff? So Far Ronin, which looks awesome and is also 1st/2nd party.
But we need more Theres no way Persona 6 isn’t ready to show 10 seconds as its been in development for years.

What could of changed the show for me:

-3rd party exclusive like MGS3 / Persona 6/ Castlevania.

Just a CGI or title reveal would of been fine:
-Ghost of Tsushima 2 or Bluepoints next game.
-Cory Balrogs game
-End with Naughty Dogs new IP + Factions 2 clip
Every time games like GoT2, Cory Barlog's game, next ND games, Bluepoint's games Factions or anything else doesn't show up it just means they are further along than we imagined. The implications of a bad show are not easy to undo.

Nothing happening regarding PS3 native games, remasters from PS3 games, Bloodborne remaster or things like that as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I'm coming round to the idea if Sony with their superior game dev pipeline doesn't have everything ready to show, no one will. COVID did a number on studios.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
We can clearly see in this pool two distinct groups of people, those that are conditioned to use the 6-10 scale and the people that use the full range.

To some people Redfall is a 6/10 and to other they are a 1/10 but in the end both think that it's trash and the same goes for this show.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Not surprised. Not sure if it includes the Vidoc that dropped later evening. Don’t think so tho. Huge

Reactions: DocRay

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Something else that I think is bizarre, is how Sony allows bad compression to ruin the first impression of their games. The same issue keeps happening 1080p compressed youtube stream doesn't do these games justice anymore. In practice Spider-man 2 did looked bad to people watching it live or even now watching at low quality.

Reactions: BlueLyria

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Something else that I think is bizarre, is how Sony allows bad compression to ruin the first impression of their games. The same issue keeps happening 1080p compressed youtube stream doesn't do these games justice anymore. In practice Spider-man 2 did looked bad to people watching it live or even now watching at low quality.
Spider-Man 2 looks good. Not really next gen, but I don't blame Insomniac. These guys are releasing one good game after another. At this rate you will get incremental improvement in their graphics which is fine.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Not surprised. Not sure if it includes the Vidoc that dropped later evening. Don’t think so tho. Huge

Sony 1st party killing it. Starfield gameplay reveal at 4.7 million after a year and Zelda's direct is at 7 million. Whelp. It's pretty clear Marathon and Spiderman are gonna be sales monsters.

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
I gotta say, I am utterly stunned by how trash this showcase is, unbelievably bad when measured against expectations.

Sony fucked this one up real badly. A 4 out of 10 and I'm being extremely generous, Spider Man 2 looked like a game that can run on PS4 NGL. anyway here's my tweet about the showcase, it got almost 1,400 likes, many are in agreement with my feelings.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
My big fear is Factions 2 is massive and in 10 years Naughty Dog is unrecognisable

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Haven and Firewalks games need to be something insanely different and mind blowing when we get gameplay because nothing there shows me why these teams should've been bought

Especially when we've got other start ups out there doing games like this

These two games prove that we don't need more GaaS.. The market is full saturated with GaaS.