Playstation Studios [OT]: News, hype and rumors about PS Studios and Bungie

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023

Some more movement to Firesprite going on....I look forward to see what this studio is working on

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023

It looks like Most of the Falcom PS4 RPGs is coming to the Japan Playstation Plus. I wonder if this would extend to PlayStation Plus in other regions also? Both the Ys and Trails series is pretty good with what I played so far..

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony is spending 1.5 billion to buy...themselves. I guess we now know where the rest of the acquisition budget went lol.

Yes, as I mentioned Sony had left around $150M of their acquisitions + investments + stock repurchases budget for the 3 years period that will end this March.

They mentioned that were going to continue with acquisitions in the mid to long term (meaning they won't make acquisitions until a few years from now) due to unfavorable market conditions.

Meaning that these around $150M will be spent this year in investments or stock repurchases. If all of it is spent in stock repurchases, considering Sony stocks are at around $100 bucks, then it's roughly 1.5 billion stocks repurchased for the current fiscal year.

Sony also recently mentioned that -after taking full control of it 3 years ago- in the timeframe of the next 2-3 years they want to spinoff their financial business (life insurance and banking) division branching it off to a separate company and to sell 80% of it, remaining for Sony only 20% of it, in order to focus Sony on entertainment and image sensors.

I assume that after these 2-3 years, once they get a shit ton of cash from selling 80% of their finances division, and once they also get an extra shit ton of cash from the several billions they invested in recent years in acquisitions and investments, they'll continue making big acquisitions, and probably bigger than before.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
  • haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Kenichiro Yoshida is a disaster.
He wants to have more control of the stocks of their company, to sell 80% of its finances division after moving it to a spin-off company to spend that money mostly on acquisitions and investments on the entertainment + image sensors areas, the ones he wants to be Sony's main focus.

Sounds good to me, even if the plan to sell this will take 2-3 years.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
He wants to have more control of the stocks of their company, to sell 80% of its finances division after moving it to a spin-off company to spend that money mostly on acquisitions and investments on the entertainment + image sensors areas, the ones he wants to be Sony's main focus.

Sounds good to me, even if the plan to sell this will take 2-3 years.

I have no problem with them focusing on entertainment, with Disney and others faltering so much. There are huge opportunities.

My problem is what he already did and did not in the past..... meeting Satya Nadella and making an agreement before telling anyone, starting a 'mobility division' that makes Sony less focused and adds to the problems investors have with the company.

Buying the financial division and constraining Sony's finances due to banking / lending reserve rules.

Poor acquisition targets outside of Bungie and one or two others.... and poor cash / asset management. Cash reserves slashed and money spent on stock buybacks, when there are excellent strategic targets out there but he is too conservative to splash out on them.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
bump

FnCihEfaAAE-MA6
FnCihEgagAAhnSz

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
As I said in the PS Showcase thread, I heavily believe PS Studios has a Star Wars game in development. Something in the universe.
Yes, they are patiently waiting for the Star Wars KOTOR Remake to be made