Playstation Studios [OT]: News, hype and rumors about PS Studios and Bungie

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Nice to see they are working on the 50Hz issue of the PS1 games. First they released a patch to try to fix it (wasn't good, produced ghosting so let's hope they release another one to improve it) and now they mention that for most games they'll use NTSC versions even for PAL regions:

I think it's also very positive they started to roll out (and with crossbuy!) digital PS1 and PSP games in PS4 and PS5. Let's hope once they fix the 60Hz issue start to release a ton of PS1, PS2 and PSP games in their newer consoles, and that future consoles like PS6 are full BC with PS5 and on top of that they include there PS3 BC (and PS Vita!) without requiring cloud gaming to have at least the digital games of all their consoles and portables in the same place.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Its been real interesting over the last 7+ months with lots of possible hints that Sony has acquired them or in the process of and a lot of it originated from that Sony 2021 marketing video

Yeah, i posted about this months ago. I think them along with deviation are just waiting in the drafts at this point.

They are gonna announce their new game and the Welcome To The Family in september

yewles1

21 Jun 2022
Indianapolis, IN, USA
PSN ID
yewyew1
Yeah, i posted about this months ago. I think them along with deviation are just waiting in the drafts at this point.

They are gonna announce their new game and the Welcome To The Family in september
I said it before, Ember Labs would be a huge benefit to Sony as a whole. Their history with fan made CG films would be a huge benefit to Sony Pictures Animation, not just the gaming side.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
You've quoted the wrong Jim, dude
Dragons Den No GIF by CBC

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Replace “GAAS” with multiplayer. Sony definitely needs multiplayer games, with Microsoft buying up all the big 3rd party publishers (and who knows if they will stop) sony needs a contingency plan for losing multiplayer.

They are making 12 of them because they know half of them will fail. If sony can make one valorant/fortnite/Apex/Warzone tier multiplayer game they will most likely calm down with them. I dont see sonys 1st party studios committing to the idea of putting out a bunch of failed multiplayer titles and lowering their reputation.

I do think sony should get Square because FFXIV still feels like untapped potential. It could be twice as big as it is if Square could expand the server capacity and port it to more platforms.

To me, it feels like without sony putting out a successful multiplayer they’ll be in dire straits. They need something big to supplement the cost of their single player games. I feel like without sony expanding their line up, they are gonna end up eventually having to cut cost on their prestige titles

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Replace “GAAS” with multiplayer. Sony definitely needs multiplayer games, with Microsoft buying up all the big 3rd party publishers (and who knows if they will stop) sony needs a contingency plan for losing multiplayer.

They are making 12 of them because they know half of them will fail. If sony can make one valorant/fortnite/Apex/Warzone tier multiplayer game they will most likely calm down with them. I dont see sonys 1st party studios committing to the idea of putting out a bunch of failed multiplayer titles and lowering their reputation.

I do think sony should get Square because FFXIV still feels like untapped potential. It could be twice as big as it is if Square could expand the server capacity and port it to more platforms.

To me, it feels like without sony putting out a successful multiplayer they’ll be in dire straits. They need something big to supplement the cost of their single player games. I feel like without sony expanding their line up, they are gonna end up eventually having to cut cost on their prestige titles
As far as I remember they are working working on these MP or GaaS games:
  • Dreams
  • MLB
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • Destiny 2
  • Multiple Bungie new IPs, at least one to be released maximum 2 years and a half from now
  • TLOU (pretty likely GaaS) MP game
  • GaaS MP title with creators of Halo and Destiny
  • GaaS MP title with creators of CoD BO
  • GaaS MP title with creators of Assassin's Creed, Watchdogs, The Division or Rainbow Six Siege
  • Rich lore fantasy GaaS MP title from Sony London
  • New AAA TPS Arrowhead coop MP game, seems confirmed Sony will publish it
  • If Death Stranding 2 is like the first one, will feature some sort of asynchronous MP
  • Games from Sucker Punch, Insomniac, Bend, Firesprite, Guerrilla that will include multiplayer but may include SP too

I only have doubts with the London and Firesprite ones. I'm pretty sure all the other ones will be successful like the previous titles of their creators. I don't see what do you think are supposed to be the failed multiplayers. Do you really think MLB or Gran Turismo 7 are failed games? Or that people like Bungie or ND will fail? Don't make me laugh.

Sony is growing all their studios and are acquiring more studios. They will make more games than before, not less. They are making more money than ever before, and only a small portion of it comes from 1st party game, so even if a few gameswould fail (which I think it's very unlikely looking at all their AAA of the recent years) that wouldn't affect their production because it doesn't depend on that money. We also have to remember that even if for the next 3 years they will grow more in GaaS, they will also grow in non-GaaS games.

We also have to think that in the following years Sony will make way more money that they are doing now: there's a record demand for PS5 and they should get rid of the supply issue soon, they will start making way more money from game subs with the new PS+, they will make more money from PC ports than before, they'll release more games so they'll make more money from them, they'll increase their bet on mobile, they'll get money from the movies and tv shows using PS IPs, soon they'll release PSVR2, they'll acquire and invent on more companies so will get more revenue from them...

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
As far as I remember they are working working on these MP or GaaS games:
  • Dreams
  • MLB
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • Destiny 2
  • Multiple Bungie new IPs, at least one to be released maximum 2 years and a half from now
  • TLOU (pretty likely GaaS) MP game
  • GaaS MP title with creators of Halo and Destiny
  • GaaS MP title with creators of CoD BO
  • GaaS MP title with creators of Assassin's Creed, The Division or Rainbow Six Siege
  • Rich lore fantasy GaaS MP title from Sony London
  • New AAA TPS Arrowhead coop MP game, seems confirmed Sony will publish it
  • If Death Stranding 2 is like the first one, will feature some sort of asynchronous MP
  • Games from Sucker Punch, Insomniac, Bend, Firesprite, Guerrilla that will include multiplayer but may include SP too

I only have doubts with the London and Firesprite ones. I'm pretty sure all the other ones will be successful like the previous titles of their creators. I don't see what do you think are supposed to be the failed multiplayers. Do you really think MLB or Gran Turismo 7 are failed games? Or that people like Bungie or ND will fail? Don't make me laugh.

Sony is growing all their studios and are acquiring more studios. They will make more games than before, not less. They are making more money than ever before, and only a small portion of it comes from 1st party game, so even if a few gameswould fail (which I think it's very unlikely looking at all their AAA of the recent years) that wouldn't affect their production because it doesn't depend on that money. We also have to remember that even if for the next 3 years they will grow more in GaaS, they will also grow in non-GaaS games.

We also have to think that in the following years Sony will make way more money that they are doing now: there's a record demand for PS5 and they should get rid of the supply issue soon, they will start making way more money from game subs with the new PS+, they will make more money from PC ports than before, they'll release more games so they'll make more money from them, they'll increase their bet on mobile, they'll get money from the movies and tv shows using PS IPs, soon they'll release PSVR2, they'll acquire and invent on more companies so will get more revenue from them...

I'm actually REALLY excited to see what shooters they make with these teams.... I wonder if they can capture the shooter markets attention to some degree.

Imagine they had some type of gameplay breakthrough or twist that caught on in a huge way.

What I really want is just a COD style game but even more attention to detail and even slicker gameplay, with similar lvel design to the bigger maps in Modern Warfare with tanks etc (Not Warzone)..... the maps that were like Battlefield that allow great sniping, armor, helicopters etc.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'm actually REALLY excited to see what shooters they make with these teams.... I wonder if they can capture the shooter markets attention to some degree.

Imagine they had some type of gameplay breakthrough or twist that caught on in a huge way.

What I really want is just a COD style game but even more attention to detail and even slicker gameplay, with similar lvel design to the bigger maps in Modern Warfare with tanks etc (Not Warzone)..... the maps that were like Battlefield that allow great sniping, armor, helicopters etc.
Having talent from Halo, Destiny, CoD, Apex Legends, The Division, Rainbow Six, Bioshock Infinite or Killzone I'm pretty sure they'll do a great job with shooters.

Something they mentioned is that they want to provide narrative to multiplayer games. Let's hope this means they'll have a meaty single player mode as in the Sony AAA games, something not common in shooters. Or that they figure out some way to really add narrative to MP modes.

I didn't play Fornite or GTA Online and don't know how they handle narrative or how do they really work, but I assume they'll take many lessons from there and also ideas from top performing shooters during recent years like CoD, batte royales or escape from tarkov. Because Halo and Destiny meant important steps for the MP shooters, but these other ones did some additional steps. I assume they'll take these steps and may try to do an additional one, I assume that with the narrative thing.

Who knows, maybe giving many of them a more coop PvE focus instead of a PvP one to make the MP more friendly to the typical SP Sony fan who doesn't like the typically hardcore, competitive PvP MPs.