PS5 sales jumped 42% in the UK during August | UK Monthly Charts

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

According to GfK, over 135,000 games consoles were sold last month, a rise of 22% over July and 8% up over August last year.

PlayStation 5 posted a 42% jump in sales month-on-month. The console benefited substantially from aggressive price discounting and bundles across the summer months. Overall year-to-date, PS5 sales are now up 60%.

Nintendo Switch is showing signs of slowdown this year, but it's still holding strong. Sales dropped 5% month-on-month during August, while overall the console's sales are down 10% year-to-date.

There was some growth for Xbox during August, with Series S and X sales up 7% compared with July. It still trails Switch and PS5, and sales are down nearly 23% year-to-date. However, the games market should expect a bit of a fightback from Microsoft heading into the last months of the year, with the release of Starfield and Forza Motorsport to come.

The success of PS5 also boosted accessories. GfK data says that 565,309 add-on products were sold in August, which is up 3.5% compared with July and 1% up over August last year.

FIFA 23 was the best-selling game of August, according to GSD data. It was driven by a surge in sales for the Nintendo Switch version of the game, which had been discounted on Nintendo eShop.

But it wasn't the real No.1. Baldur's Gate 3 would almost certainly have taken the crown for August, but Larian is one of the publishers missing from the GSD panel, so unfortunately it doesn't make the chart at all. It's reasonable to assume that with Baldur's Gate 3, August would have been a far bigger month.

UK GSD July 2023 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1FIFA 23 (EA)
2Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (Bandai Namco)
3Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
4Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
5Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar)
6Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
7Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)
8F1 23 (EA)
9Minecraft (Mojang)
10Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 – 2022 Edition (Activision Blizzard)

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
No Starfield LMAO, thought it was supposed to be No.1?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
So they’re not gonna track Baldur’s Gate for the time being but that’s the real no. 1 for the month of august apparently …. A pc release taking no. 1 spot would be something different for sure.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
June

PS5 : 57k
NSW : 34k
XSX+S : 27k

July

PS5 : 58k
NSW : 29k
XSX+S : 23k

August

PS5 : 82.3k
NSW : 27.5k
XSX+S : 24.6k
That is way more for PS than I thought reading the article… around 60% consoles sold in August were PS5.

Thanks btw.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
June

PS5 : 57k
NSW : 34k
XSX+S : 27k

July

PS5 : 58k
NSW : 29k
XSX+S : 23k

August

PS5 : 82.3k
NSW : 27.5k
XSX+S : 24.6k
I wonder if Starfield will help substantially reduce the distance or not between PS5 and Xbox in September, bumping Xbox to 40-50K+ that month.

I think it won't, seems Goodbye Volcano High was enough to counter it. And well, maybe even with the accidental short BG3 temporal console exclusivity may even be bigger.

I'd say that thanks to Spider-Man 2 (plus the support of some other minor exlcusivities and some top multiplatform games) PS5 also has October and November locked.

Regarding December, there's the last minute Christmas sales in Europe, where more than very recent releases, the games that are taken into consideration instead are more or less the big games released across the whole year. PS5 has a way bigger lineup of both exclusive and multiplatform games, so I think they will also have a stronger December.

Last edited:

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I wonder if Starfield will help substantially reduce the distance or not between PS5 and Xbox in September, bumping Xbox to 40-50K+ that month.

I think it won't, seems Goodbye Volcano High was enough to counter it. And well, maybe even with the accidental short BG3 temporal console exclusivity may even be bigger.

I'd say that thanks to Spider-Man 2 (plus the support of some other minor exlcusivities and some top multiplatform games) PS5 also has October and November locked.
Based on the differents Amazon (US, Uk, FR, JP, DE ...), the xbox series is still behind the PS5, so for the moment I find it hard to believe that Starfield will boost sales.
Then we'll see at the end of September, but for the moment it looks complicated.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

Regarding December, there's the last minute Christmas sales in Europe, where more than very recent releases, the games that are taken into consideration instead are more or less the big games released across the whole year. PS5 has a way bigger lineup of both exclusive and multiplatform games, so I think they will also have a stronger December.
Well doesn’t the series S price hike go into effect in September? If anything Xbox hardware will remain flat at best imo.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Based on the differents Amazon (US, Uk, FR, JP, DE ...), the xbox series is still behind the PS5, so for the moment I find it hard to believe that Starfield will boost sales.
Then we'll see at the end of September, but for the moment it looks complicated.
Same goes with Amazon Spain. No Xbox consoles pr Starfield in the top 100. As usual almost everything is PS and Switch stuff, with only a few Xbox items like gamepads, GP or a USB charger:

image.png

image.png

Well doesn’t the series S price hike go into effect in September? If anything Xbox hardware will remain flat at best imo.
There's a Gamepass and PS+ price increase in September.

Xbox Series X did increase its price in August 1st for a big portion of EU. Now both Series X and (disk SKU) PS5 cost 549.99€ in EU. As far as I know Series S continues and will continue at 299.99€.

Last edited:

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Chris is really working hard for those ambassador socks.

He first reported the boxed sales of armored core with only the ps5 split, didn't mention any other platform. Not even the ps4, so we wouldn't be able to figure out the xbox split.

Now he hasn't even given the total split(physical+digital) for any platform.....

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

It won’t. MS makes it pretty clear you don’t need an Xbox to play Starfield. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
MS better hope regulators allows them to buy everything on top of passing regulations that break open walled gardens on consoles if they want the xbox brand to stay relevant.
At this rate the brand is beyond dead.