PS5 topping the Best Sellers lists on Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon and GameStop, meanwhile Xbox sales are imploding

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I've explained this a few times already. There's no bias in this lmao, how would that even change anything in how I do this stuff. I've laid out my entire method, with multiple different avenues to get XBS to over 20M.

I don't know what I'm more impressed by, the refusal to think XBS had an awful holiday performance thus leading to the high amount of unsold units, or that 3M is actually an impossible number of unsold units.

PS4 had 3.7M unsold units after holiday 2016. Sound the alarm.
Well, if it isn’t bias, it’s ignoring known facts that illustrate the aspirational aspect of your numbers.

Microsoft reports the amount of their product that retailers buy, not what is sold on to the end customer, while Nintendo and Sony report units sold to end customers.

Comparing the numbers you harvest from your nether regions to those wouldn’t get you accurate sell-through numbers, so your estimates are completely devoid of any hope of accuracy.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
Just one more thing to help illustrate my point that XBS had awful sell through, not awful shipments in Q4 2022, we have NPD leaks that show XBS massively outperformed every XB1 first 10 months of the year

XBS January to October 2022: 2.8M

The best XB1 comparable? 2.3M in 2015.

I would love to know from anyone here, why would Microsoft think, with that performance and a price cut for the S, would they then do the worst holiday performance yet? They wouldn't. They'd ship the amount of units that would be on par or better than XB1, and expect the same increases.

Instead of that, sell through underperformed by several 100K.
Well, if it isn’t bias, it’s ignoring known facts that illustrate the aspirational aspect of your numbers.

Microsoft reports the amount of their product that retailers buy, not what is sold on to the end customer, while Nintendo and Sony report units sold to end customers.

Comparing the numbers you harvest from your nether regions to those wouldn’t get you accurate sell-through numbers, so your estimates are completely devoid of any hope of accuracy.
All three report shipment data to retailers. PS5's 32.1M is shipments, Switch's 122.55M is shipments, and my Xbox estimates have always been shipments.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
What? Unless I've completely misunderstood your complaint, you think my XBS number is too high.

I already explained why my number is the way it is, using Microsoft's own reported figures, trying to figure out where XB1 was, and then figuring out XBS.

Go quarter by quarter for XB1, figure out what it shipped in those quarters, see what its LTD is at Q3 2015, know that XBS is above that, and then figure out Q4 2022. If you can't do that with numbers provided by Microsoft I don't know why you think my numbers are impossible. You don't even trust analytic firms for sell through, do you not trust Microsoft's own shipment data?

Xbox 360 was a heavy Q4 console, not sure why Xbox One or XBS would be any different. We both know how hard Microsoft went in discounting Xbox each holiday.

Man...

Your Series numbers are bullshit... near 4 million in shelves at end of 2022 is bullshit.
There is no logic that can backup your "guess".

After you replied talking about XB1 and 360 trying to say they overshipped in the past.

I said that your post is unrelated because we are talking about Series consoles
You come again showing some numbers for XB1 and 360... I replied that 1) these numbers are combined, 2) Nowhere in your post compares SOLD with SHIPMENT to explain your "MS was overshipping in the past", 3) There is not number to backup your claim.

Now you come asking me again what I"m complaining?
Your explaination makes zero, yes ZERO, sence but you keep hard on it.

You instead to revise your wrong estimates choose to say "MS overshipped" for whatever reason lol

BTW Series are behind Xbox One.... you are crazy if you thing they are ahead lol MS stopped to say it was ahead because it is not anymore.
I could understand you believing they were close and Series ahead until CY Q3 but not after CY Q4 and it absmal NPD and others trackers sales.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If Series S/X was ahead of Xbox One, MS/Xbox would of said so. It might do with Starfield later this year.

They said it when Xbox 1 and Series S/X was ahead of 360 in the same time frame. So take that as you will. They would gloat if they could.
Unlike the 360 gen they don’t have Halo 3 and Gears.

I doubt Starfield will do those numbers but Elder Scrolls 6 and the next Doom are the only things that can build Xbox again and obviously having Cod exclusive.

If not they don’t get the Activision deal its gonna be a bad stretch for them until Elder Scrolls 6 comes.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
If Series S/X was ahead of Xbox One, MS/Xbox would of said so. It might do with Starfield later this year.

They said it when Xbox 1 and Series S/X was ahead of 360 in the same time frame. So take that as you will. They would gloat if they could.

I doubt Starfield will do those numbers but Elder Scrolls 6 and the next Doom are the only things that can build Xbox again and obviously having Cod exclusive.

If not they don’t get the Activision deal its gonna be a bad stretch for them until Elder Scrolls 6 comes.
They’re in for a bad time, because there’s no fucking way the CMA or FTC are going to let the Acti merger happen.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They’re in for a bad time, because there’s no fucking way the CMA or FTC are going to let the Acti merger happen.

Personally I hope they dont get Activision. For so many reasons.

But I just think it will go through, Trillion dollar company wants to buy another company. Billionaire friends will make it happen.
I dont know much about it but how many times have these kinda deals been blocked in the past? Ive already accepted it at its worse outcome. But would be pleasantly surprised if it doesnt go through. Fingers crossed

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Personally I hope they dont get Activision. For so many reasons.

But I just think it will go through, Trillion dollar company wants to buy another company. Billionaire friends will make it happen.
I dont know much about it but how many times have these kinda deals been blocked in the past? Ive already accepted it at its worse outcome. But would be pleasantly surprised if it doesnt go through. Fingers crossed
Dude, read the CMA documents and then seriously tell me how MS gets Activision.

I need a good laugh.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
And this is what I'm talking about.

Hey here's Microsoft taking Series X chips and putting them in data centers

"From my ass!"

The Series S became more available by a certain point, here's evidence for that as well as just the general understanding of everyone that was looking for consoles at the time noticing Series S was more available

"US /= the world"

The Series S price cut flopped in the US, look how the XB1 performed vs the XBS for a comparison, you know, the XBS that was ahead of XB1 worldwide before then, maybe just maybe Microsoft would expect it to do on par with that other system

"Using old data how dare you"

None of you in the last thread or this one are arguing the XB1 figures, why is that? You do understand that XBS was ahead of XB1 up to at least Q3 2022. Microsoft shipped a combined 13.1M Xbox's from Q2 2014 to Q2 2015. What do you guys think that split is, then apply the objective fact XBS was ahead, and figure out the rest.

It's almost like you guys ignore it because it most likely would lead you to a higher number than any of you are willing to admit.

My favorite has to be "pulling it out of my ass." No shit. If I were leaking numbers I'd be silenced immediately. Everything that doesn't come from the manufacturer itself is all guess work based on available data.

So many words yet you didn't address any of the points I made. Please tell me how any serious analysis can include the word "intuition" in it.

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
Man...

Your Series numbers are bullshit... near 4 million in shelves at end of 2022 is bullshit.
There is no logic that can backup your "guess".

After you replied talking about XB1 and 360 trying to say they overshipped in the past.

I said that your post is unrelated because we are talking about Series consoles
You come again showing some numbers for XB1 and 360... I replied that 1) these numbers are combined, 2) Nowhere in your post compares SOLD with SHIPMENT to explain your "MS was overshipping in the past", 3) There is not number to backup your claim.

Now you come asking me again what I"m complaining?
Your explaination makes zero, yes ZERO, sence but you keep hard on it.

You instead to revise your wrong estimates choose to say "MS overshipped" for whatever reason lol

BTW Series are behind Xbox One.... you are crazy if you thing they are ahead lol MS stopped to say it was ahead because it is not anymore.
I could understand you believing they were close and Series ahead until CY Q3 but not after CY Q4 and it absmal NPD and others trackers sales.
Your entire response to me since I've been on this site is bullshit.

The lack of acknowledgement when it comes to public data that might prove your point wrong is outstanding.

Is Microsoft now suddenly just no longer focused on Q4? Despite every holiday that had massive software or discounts, you're really going to say we can't look at historical precedent for Xbox shipment performance? Why, it's not like COVID is an impact anymore, you said that yourself.

You do understand that if a company sees a larger drop in shipments compared to the competition consistently from one specific quarter to the next, that company is shipping more than it probably should? I've already provided the Q4 to Q1 drops for all relevant consoles, Xbox has the worst. They'd only ship less if there were more units that had yet to be sold through, otherwise why are the drops worse than their competition.

I'm glad you know the XB1 and 360 numbers I brought up are combined. Try and separate them now. Why? Because then you get a bare minimum for XBS right before Q4 2022. It's not that difficult to understand. Your refusal to perform even a basic task is your problem, not mine. This can be done much more rationally if you gave any type of analysis other than the continuous "impossible" remarks.

Funny enough, no number actually proves me wrong. I already brought up how two other non Xbox consoles had +3M unsold units after a holiday. Nothing says I'm wrong, only your opinion, not any verifiable data. All you've done is say "number too high" and nothing to prove that. I've already shown you how you can do exactly that. Figure out XB1 shipments up to Q3 2015, that gives the bare minimum XBS is at as of Q3 2022, and then we can argue how many units Microsoft shipped in Q4 2022 specifically.

You yourself already question Ampere and IIRC, think XBS sell through should be lower because of... Hmmm, historical precedent between US and worldwide? But in this post you verbatim say "I said that your post is unrelated because we are talking about Series consoles". So any data point I bring up to help my argument is irrelevant because it's not directly about XBS but your position on how low XBS is can include anything.

BTW in my estimate Xbox is even lower than 18m as end of 2022 based in the typical US/WW ratio for Xbox… well unless it sold like 2 million in NPD December.

My data is based purely on Microsoft reported financials. No one has debunked the actual units XB1 should be at, you refuse to do so, and as far as I'm concerned, if you or anyone don't even want to attempt the most simple analysis on what the minimum shipment for XBS is at Q3 2022, you've conceded. The continued denial of this simple fact is appalling.

Absolutely absurd how we have official statements from Microsoft outlining when XBS outsold XB1, we have shipment data from Microsoft for that period of time, and you have the gall to say my explanation makes zero sense, all because it seems too high.

I also have to love how in the same post you go from saying Xbox Series couldn't be over shipped and at the very end you start saying XBS did horrible in the holidays. Pick a position. You do understand that if XBS had a better sell through in Q4, the amount of unsold units goes down, but because it wasn't better, the amount is high?

So many words yet you didn't address any of the points I made. Please tell me how any serious analysis can include the word "intuition" in it.
I hate doing this, but my XB1 LTD is near what Niko Partners estimated, I had XBS at +12M after Q4 2021, same as Niko Partners, and my data fits with every single report Microsoft said XBS was the fastest selling Xbox.

I can also bring up how I estimated NPD figures well within 10% of units sales last year with nothing to go off of but revenue, unit availability, and pricing, kind of like how I explained my methods in this thread.

My methods get me in line with an actual research firm. I have been following video game sales since 2014. You kinda learn and pick up on things. Intuition is my understanding of the market. I go over as much data as I can get to make my judgements. Like what else do I need to say? How do you think analysis is done with limited info other than having an understanding of the field and making an educated assumption.

I'm not going around saying "these are the REAL numbers Microsoft won't let out". I've always prefaced any estimate as being mine alone, and I've provided me reasoning plenty of times. You don't agree with my reasoning, and that's fine, but going off of other analysts, somehow it works.

Reactions: AngryRobotBees

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Your entire response to me since I've been on this site is bullshit.

The lack of acknowledgement when it comes to public data that might prove your point wrong is outstanding.

Is Microsoft now suddenly just no longer focused on Q4? Despite every holiday that had massive software or discounts, you're really going to say we can't look at historical precedent for Xbox shipment performance? Why, it's not like COVID is an impact anymore, you said that yourself.

You do understand that if a company sees a larger drop in shipments compared to the competition consistently from one specific quarter to the next, that company is shipping more than it probably should? I've already provided the Q4 to Q1 drops for all relevant consoles, Xbox has the worst. They'd only ship less if there were more units that had yet to be sold through, otherwise why are the drops worse than their competition.

I'm glad you know the XB1 and 360 numbers I brought up are combined. Try and separate them now. Why? Because then you get a bare minimum for XBS right before Q4 2022. It's not that difficult to understand. Your refusal to perform even a basic task is your problem, not mine. This can be done much more rationally if you gave any type of analysis other than the continuous "impossible" remarks.

Funny enough, no number actually proves me wrong. I already brought up how two other non Xbox consoles had +3M unsold units after a holiday. Nothing says I'm wrong, only your opinion, not any verifiable data. All you've done is say "number too high" and nothing to prove that. I've already shown you how you can do exactly that. Figure out XB1 shipments up to Q3 2015, that gives the bare minimum XBS is at as of Q3 2022, and then we can argue how many units Microsoft shipped in Q4 2022 specifically.

You yourself already question Ampere and IIRC, think XBS sell through should be lower because of... Hmmm, historical precedent between US and worldwide? But in this post you verbatim say "I said that your post is unrelated because we are talking about Series consoles". So any data point I bring up to help my argument is irrelevant because it's not directly about XBS but your position on how low XBS is can include anything.

My data is based purely on Microsoft reported financials. No one has debunked the actual units XB1 should be at, you refuse to do so, and as far as I'm concerned, if you or anyone don't even want to attempt the most simple analysis on what the minimum shipment for XBS is at Q3 2022, you've conceded. The continued denial of this simple fact is appalling.

Absolutely absurd how we have official statements from Microsoft outlining when XBS outsold XB1, we have shipment data from Microsoft for that period of time, and you have the gall to say my explanation makes zero sense, all because it seems too high.

I also have to love how in the same post you go from saying Xbox Series couldn't be over shipped and at the very end you start saying XBS did horrible in the holidays. Pick a position. You do understand that if XBS had a better sell through in Q4, the amount of unsold units goes down, but because it wasn't better, the amount is high?

I hate doing this, but my XB1 LTD is near what Niko Partners estimated, I had XBS at +12M after Q4 2021, same as Niko Partners, and my data fits with every single report Microsoft said XBS was the fastest selling Xbox.

I can also bring up how I estimated NPD figures well within 10% of units sales last year with nothing to go off of but revenue, unit availability, and pricing, kind of like how I explained my methods in this thread.

My methods get me in line with an actual research firm. I have been following video game sales since 2014. You kinda learn and pick up on things. Intuition is my understanding of the market. I go over as much data as I can get to make my judgements. Like what else do I need to say? How do you think analysis is done with limited info other than having an understanding of the field and making an educated assumption.

I'm not going around saying "these are the REAL numbers Microsoft won't let out". I've always prefaced any estimate as being mine alone, and I've provided me reasoning plenty of times. You don't agree with my reasoning, and that's fine, but going off of other analysts, somehow it works.

Too much read to read lol

Some points:

- If you have a bad November sales you won’t ship more on December because Retailers won’t accept more units… after Black Friday Retailers already had the whole picture of what Series were selling or not plus with a big stock to sell… why do you believe they brought more units over what they already had on shelves at end of November? Why do you think Target did a $50 cupom? Because they wanted to sell the stock they didn’t in November… even if MS wanted to overship they couldn’t because Retail won’t accept… Retail only accept overahip from products they are sure the demand is there to sell in the next months.

- I have no ideia why you keep bringing XB1 shipment as evidence Series overshipped 4 million units last year… plus you use combined 360 + XB1 numbers… plus plus XB1 never overshipepd close to 4 million unit… there is no math that can help you.

- Your data is bullshit because you can’t accept it was wrong even after it become impossible to happen.

- There is no way with NPD data and sales estimate from Ampere that Series is ahead XB1… even when you realize XB1 sales were limited to 13 countries for near a year and 36 countries for over 3 years… that shows you how bad the Series sales potential is… it is way lower than XB1 that most Xbox fans take as a disaster from Dom Armageddon.

- You can bring your methods that nobody will read because it is weak and always underestimating PS and overestimating Xbox.

- No matter how much text you write you won’t convive bad numbers as accurate numbers… if you have revised your estimates instead to claim “near 4 million on shelves” (do you think people don’t read InstallBase?) after the Ampere data I should not even called you out on your numbers… but instead you made up teorias to “backup” you bad estimate lol

🤷‍♂️

Edit - I missed the Twitter from January 2022… did you realize XB1 started to sell better after 2015 when it was available in more countries? Do you realize that nobody ever said XB1 was ahead Series in January 2022? That series was ahead XB1 probably before holidays but got behind after he holidays? The gap will increase… and 360 will start to catch and surpass both?

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Dude, read the CMA documents and then seriously tell me how MS gets Activision.

I need a good laugh.
I can’t be bothered to read it all lol.
When will the results happen?

Whats the bullet points Of CMA document?

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023

Only big Bethesda ips re ES and fallout. Everything else s irrelevant. And they were big thanks to being multiplatform. We ll see about Starfield. I think it ll be good. Doom s overrated ip from every aspect.. Every doom i bought after 3 months was like 60% cheaper. Its not huge seller. I finihsed 2016, 7/10. Deleted eternal after 4,5 hours. Same thing only worse. Brainless ip. Enter room, area and kill everything. Zero substance.
I dont see ES6 releasing before 2028.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Only big Bethesda ips re ES and fallout. Everything else s irrelevant. And they were big thanks to being multiplatform. We ll see about Starfield. I think it ll be good. Doom s overrated ip from every aspect.. Every doom i bought after 3 months was like 60% cheaper. Its not huge seller. I finihsed 2016, 7/10. Deleted eternal after 4,5 hours. Same thing only worse. Brainless ip. Enter room, area and kill everything. Zero substance.
I dont see ES6 releasing before 2028.

Yeah I wasn’t the biggest Doom fan, Doom 2016 was fun but not amazing. Doom Eternal I didnt like and stopped playing.
Not sure how much it sold but it is a bigger deal than Bethesda’s other IP’s not called Elder Scrolls or Fallout etc. Quake too.

Yeah by the time Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5 come it will probably be next gen. And by then Xbox Platform will be probably in a worst state if they don’t get Activision.