[Redfall] 70% of Arkane Austin have left the company - Jason Schreier

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Remember when Insomniac tried to make a co-op game? They came up with Fuse.

This industry has a weird obsession trying to make these co-op games happen.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
GAAS claims another one. Many more to go still.

The established big hitters with staying power (Destiny, Fornite, COD: Warzone etc) are sucking way too much time and money out of the average consumer. Result: less disposable income (aka money) from a finite pool of gamers for the consumption of other type of games.... whether other GAAS or traditional genre's and models.... and also significantly less consumer time disposable for playtime of other games as well. Industry incentive: create a GAAS and hope you get lucky - fail, well, you better start updating that job resume.

GAAS is literally game contraction and consolidation all boiled into one, an anathema to variety. Add to that industry consolidation of big wigs buying up smaller developers and well, it's doesn't look great. On top of the fact that GAAS is literally simply just a well crafted pill for dopamine exploitation (addiction) - the video game is the shell of the pill.

As they say... the industry is lucking out that gaming is the alcohol/tobacco/drugs of the Millenial/Gen Z generation. More and more it feels like the golden age of gaming is behind us.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
GAAS claims another one. Many more to go still.

The established big hitters with staying power (Destiny, Fornite, COD: Warzone etc) are sucking way too much time and money out of the average consumer. Result: less disposable income (aka money) from a finite pool of gamers for the consumption of other type of games.... whether other GAAS or traditional genre's and models.... and also significantly less consumer time disposable for playtime of other games as well. Industry incentive: create a GAAS and hope you get lucky - fail, well, you better start updating that job resume.

GAAS is literally game contraction and consolidation all boiled into one, an anathema to variety. Add to that industry consolidation of big wigs buying up smaller developers and well, it's doesn't look great. On top of the fact that GAAS is literally simply just a well crafted pill for dopamine exploitation (addiction) - the video game is the shell of the pill.

As they say... the industry is lucking out that gaming is the alcohol/tobacco/drugs of the Millenial/Gen Z generation. More and more it feels like the golden age of gaming is behind us.
The only thing Sony should be doing as far as gaas is PlayStation home. A chat room celebrating games, nostalgia & pop culture

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Let's hope Naugthy Dog survives their failed MP project.

It willl. They havent won Game of the year ever game they have released or runner up for all this time for no reason.. Plus they are making single player game too

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Remember when Insomniac tried to make a co-op game? They came up with Fuse.

This industry has a weird obsession trying to make these co-op games happen.
You mean Overstrike? That EA interfered in and watered down into being Fuse?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
There is just something about these co-op games always end up being the studio worse game with very few exception.
The last co-op FPS I spent a decent amount of time in was Serious Sam 2... That was a lot of fun, but it was a different time, much less micro transactions, and we had our computers in the same appartement.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
So I actually read the article because Skill Up shared a link that wasn’t paywalled somehow…

Anyway. Arkane leadership is like wholly to blame. Zenimax wanted on-going revenues somehow. Arkane leadership agreed ecstatically like they knew how to even make a co-op game: they don’t.

Shit hit the fan as the studio was not equipped to make an actual action game. No plan or idea of what the fuck they were making…

It’s a repeat of anthem.

(Anthem was better than 90% of these failed games. It actually had a chance if EA didn’t quit so easily [see every battlefield released in the last decade])

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
So I actually read the article because Skill Up shared a link that wasn’t paywalled somehow…

Anyway. Arkane leadership is like wholly to blame. Zenimax wanted on-going revenues somehow. Arkane leadership agreed ecstatically like they knew how to even make a co-op game: they don’t.

Shit hit the fan as the studio was not equipped to make an actual action game. No plan or idea of what the fuck they were making…

It’s a repeat of anthem.

(Anthem was better than 90% of these failed games. It actually had a chance if EA didn’t quit so easily [see every battlefield released in the last decade])
But, how long has Bathesda been under MS? 2 years? More?

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
But, how long has Bathesda been under MS? 2 years? More?

Are you saying MS owns the blame and should and could have done something about it? I mean sure… but Phil is a jerkoff. Cancelling it… giving it the support it needed. But? I mean look at halo. They’ll cut their losses and not give a shit.

The article paints arkane leadership being totally onboard with the direction they were taking the studio and game as well. I don’t see this as pressure from evil zenimax either.

Also, they had a cosmetics mt strategy in place before an actual idea of what the gameplay would be.

It’s so goddamn backwards

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Are you saying MS owns the blame and should and could have done something about it? I mean sure… but Phil is a jerkoff. Cancelling it… giving it the support it needed. But? I mean look at halo. They’ll cut their losses and not give a shit.

The article paints arkane leadership being totally onboard with the direction they were taking the studio and game as well. I don’t see this as pressure from evil zenimax either.

Also, they had a cosmetics mt strategy in place before an actual idea of what the gameplay would be.

The devs wanted the game to be cancelled and probably MS knew about that.
The game wasn’t cancelled. So, yeah, the blame is on MS.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022

Once MS bought the company - the entire thing becomes their responsibility. Sound minds could argue timeframes, if the game releases a week into ownership sure, but 2 years - it’s all on MS at that point.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Once MS bought the company - the entire thing becomes their responsibility. Sound minds could argue timeframes, if the game releases a week into ownership sure, but 2 years - it’s all on MS at that point.
Game wasn't even announced and was very early into development, they could have just cancelled it.

Plus, it was released barely in alpha stage, the game is at least 2 years off.

Game still didn't even get any update.

Reactions: Shmunter

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Phil is not responsible for stuff that happens 10 years into his tenure as Xbox CEO, or even when he was head of MS studios.

This is almost like he was some PR person if you listen to these people.

Reactions: Shmunter

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I always assume Phil does nothing. Walks into the studios to see what they’re working on and shakes hands. I don’t think he legit vets what they’re working on or gives a shit because he wants to buy Call of Duty.

With that said… if you’re the bosses at arkane…. It’s your studio anyway. It should be the goal to do a good job and sail your own ship as captain. They dropped the ball the moment they tried picking it up.

So I still blame the game on arkane. Should Microsoft have released it? Nope. Nintendo cancelled star fox 2. I don’t want to hear games can’t be cancelled. After Phil saying their own internal reviews said such n such… bruh fire those hacks they clearly have no real grasp on this shit 🤣

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
With that said… if you’re the bosses at arkane…. It’s your studio anyway. It should be the goal to do a good job and sail your own ship as captain. They dropped the ball the moment they tried picking it up.
Normally when you run studios you have at least some kind of idea what you want from them and minimal level of expectations as to what they should be able to deliver.

So yes, there should be vetting, and maybe even orienting. The way I understand it Sony has their studios pitch projets before they get greenlit, then they check at intervals to be sure the project is going in the right direction (broadly). Same with Nintendo, if you are tasked into making a Mario game don't go in and make it all brown with gory enemy death animations, no jump, slow walking and gory zombies.