Redfall ships as a voucher code in game box, no discs will be printed (always online, MP-Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
The physical Xbox copies of Redfall are Xbox Play Anywhere codes which can played on both the Xbox Series X|S and the Microsoft Xbox App on PC.

damn, well there it is. Everything about this game from the leak to the reveal right up until release has been a disaster.

Really think this one would have been better off cancelled. There's no hype, the game has looked worse and worse with each showing, and the devs are already damage controlling all the bad press.

A dud in the making!

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I hope it doesn't create a precedent
Well, MS's absolute disdain for games ownership and physical collectors was already clear enough. Xbox is anti-physical game.

Funny how the xbox one vision has come full circle with good guy phil at the helm. People lost their shit last gen at 24h check ins and no used games. Now here we are renting games on gamepass with no ownership whatsoever.

Weird.

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
This is a no nothing burger lol. Physical media is going away. Are people forgetting that Steam is absolutely massive and people buy games on there all the time? No disks, only codes tied to an account. People don't seem to have an issue with that and its the biggest digital platform in existence. Typical fanboyism QQ thread as always lol.

If you really want to own a game on Xbox, you can do so. You go to Microsoft store and pay a full price just like you would on Steam or any other digital platform like PSN. Bad faith post, get the fuck out of here with this bullshit nonsense about company X or Y not allowing you to own games.

• haha
Reactions: Zzero and arvfab
D

Deleted member 417

How long before the servers are shut down because a lack of players like Crossfire?

Regardless of which badge sits on the box, the industry, for the good of the gamers, need to move away from this shitty practice. There should be a law that states all online-only games, when discontinued, revert back to player-side hosting and private servers, so that players can still play the game.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
How long before the servers are shut down because a lack of players like Crossfire?

Regardless of which badge sits on the box, the industry, for the good of the gamers, need to move away from this shitty practice. There should be a law that states all online-only games, when discontinued, revert back to player-side hosting and private servers, so that players can still play the game.
So when you hit 80 years old you still wanna play Call of Duty Modern Warfare on the PS3? KK. Nothing lasts forever, get over it.

daniel5043

Veteran
19 Jan 2023
Well, MS's absolute disdain for games ownership and physical collectors was already clear enough. Xbox is anti-physical game.

Funny how the xbox one vision has come full circle with good guy phil at the helm. People lost their shit last gen at 24h check ins and no used games. Now here we are renting games on gamepass with no ownership whatsoever.

Weird.
Wanna bet most xbox fans will lower there panties for this decision

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
People seem to have an issue with that, and buy consoles instead. It's one of the main reasons for me to not consider multiplatform games on PC instead of PS/Switch.
you know, I gave it some thought and I guess your right. 120 million people do tend to have an issue with that. I wish I listened! /s

"Steam is a massive video game distribution platform. Launched in 2003, the service has gained popularity among gamers across the world. Today, it has more than 120 million monthly active users and a catalog of over 50 thousand games.

Year Active Users
2019 95 million
2020 120 million

Yes, by 2020, 120 Million hate steam. You have no clue what you are talking about lol. The number is even bigger now.

24 Jun 2022
People on Reset are losing their mind over this and I'm like...does it even matter for Xbox? Don't the games that ship on discs (at least 1P) already basically DRM code unlocks? None of the game itself is on the disc, you have to download it from their end and the disc acts as a validation.

So whether it's a disc or just a piece of paper with a code, functionally it makes no difference. One of the other reasons I can't really see myself investing into that ecosystem: I'd like the ability to install a game between different systems easily and not be so pressed about stupid ISP data caps, and these games are often somewhere around 100 GB in size each.

you know, I gave it some thought and I guess your right. 120 million people do tend to have an issue with that. I wish I listened! /s

"Steam is a massive video game distribution platform. Launched in 2003, the service has gained popularity among gamers across the world. Today, it has more than 120 million monthly active users and a catalog of over 50 thousand games.

Year Active Users
2019 95 million
2020 120 million

Yes, by 2020, 120 Million hate steam. You have no clue what you are talking about lol. The number is even bigger now.

Users and buyers aren't the same thing. Someone else here in another thread showed what the actual audience of buying customers on Steam is and it's only around 30 million or so. The other accounts are people who might just use it for other reasons like buying really cheap indie games or playing F2P and MP games online with their buddies, or even just to socialize in community groups.

Anyway I think comparing the PC/Steam audience to console gamers when it comes to valuation of physical media is silly, they're two very different audiences in that respect. PC gamers have been full steam physical since the mid-2000s, but the reason they were forced to go digital was because of rampant piracy. Consoles do still have some piracy to deal with but it's nowhere near as bad as it was (is?) on PC, and discs aren't anywhere as expensive to manufacture as carts were.

This isn't even so much about physical vs. digital in Xbox's case so much as people are upset there won't be a disc, but AFAIK don't almost all MS 1P games simply use the disc as a validation check for a license of the game? The game code itself isn't on the discs; you download it from their servers. So it's effectively no different than what PC games were starting to do by the mid-2000s. Then Steam came, caught on, and PC gamers figured there was no point for physical at all if the disc was just a form of code validation for an otherwise digital game.

There are definitely more console gamers who are going digital these days but I think the impetus for them is more out of convenience and preference; there's not a rampant piracy issue forcing the industry to push digital, and you even lose a few options with digital (being able to trade-in, getting cheaper deals from 3P brick-and-mortar stores, etc.). There was also never a culture of physical collecting on PC anywhere near what there has been for console gaming, and there's no reason to completely phase that part of the culture out even if digital is growing. The physical copies actually having the game data on them is part of that side of collecting, as well, it's part of what adds value to the game and some actual worth.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Hezekiah

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Waste of packaging. Shouldn’t even bother with retail. And gamepass guarantees no one is actually paying full price.

D

Deleted member 417

So when you hit 80 years old you still wanna play Call of Duty Modern Warfare on the PS3? KK. Nothing lasts forever, get over it.
Do we not still talk about how important Pong was, or Pacman? Do we not relive the golden years of gaming and beg for remasters of our old games? Is BC not a big selling point for modern consoles?

Half Life 1 released in 1998. Should we still not play that game today?
Why not destroy all online streams of The Simpsons, so the episodes that launched in 1990 can no longer be viewed, nothing lasts forever. Or how about Wizard of Oz? A wonderful life? Black and white films? Films from the Silent Era?

You talk like you believe you're the authority on gaming, yet your lack of understanding, care and love for the industry scream from every post you make. You are a 9-5 gamer, someone who does it because it's their job, not because they love, or even understand the industry.

You come across like an empty, joyless, jealous gamer who hates others having fun because it's not the fun you want. Imagine wanting to restrict people's options on playing games, flippantly dismiss their wishes and then have the audacity to act like you know the industry.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022

Year Active Users
2019 95 million
2020 120 million

So the millions of players who keep buying physical media are not "people"?

Of course the 120+ million Steam users don't have an issue with it, duh.

One of the other reasons I can't really see myself investing into that ecosystem: I'd like the ability to install a game between different systems easily and not be so pressed about stupid ISP data caps, and these games are often somewhere around 100 GB in size each.

You could still buy overpriced memory cards instead! It all depends on how low you want to bow and if you want to have some lube or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: toadsage44

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
This is gonna be an interesting one to watch. Unlike Deathloop, they’re actually gonna need players to like this game and keep playing.

It’s totally make or break time. I think it’s their first online game too eh?

Reactions: toadsage44

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Same shit Sony pulled with Ragnarok and HFW. Fuck them. If you're giving away a code, don't sell a fucking retail box. Waste of resources.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
So the millions of players who keep buying physical media are not "people"?

Of course the 120+ million Steam users don't have an issue with it, duh.

You could still buy overpriced memory cards instead! It all depends on how low you want to bow and if you want to have some lube or not.
Lube is a privilege, not a right!

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Do we not still talk about how important Pong was, or Pacman? Do we not relive the golden years of gaming and beg for remasters of our old games? Is BC not a big selling point for modern consoles?

Half Life 1 released in 1998. Should we still not play that game today?
Why not destroy all online streams of The Simpsons, so the episodes that launched in 1990 can no longer be viewed, nothing lasts forever. Or how about Wizard of Oz? A wonderful life? Black and white films? Films from the Silent Era?

You talk like you believe you're the authority on gaming, yet your lack of understanding, care and love for the industry scream from every post you make. You are a 9-5 gamer, someone who does it because it's their job, not because they love, or even understand the industry.

You come across like an empty, joyless, jealous gamer who hates others having fun because it's not the fun you want. Imagine wanting to restrict people's options on playing games, flippantly dismiss their wishes and then have the audacity to act like you know the industry.
Well, he IS Russian…

• fire
Reactions: Deleted member 417
Status
Not open for further replies.