Resident Evil Zero Turns 20 Today!

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
20 Years since that last time we had a Resident Evil Remake and a new entry release the same year!

One of my least favorite Resident Evil Games but I will not deny it deserves recognition for how mind blowningly good it looked at the time. I think The mansion part of this game was actually better than most of the Mansion in RE1 but too many other things hold this game down for me. Also gotta respect how intense the mimicry's and eliminators were lol

Last edited:

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Came way late to the party for this game. Picked it up on PS4 and loved it so much that I got the Platinum for it. The Tyrant legit creeps me out. All the open wounds on his body, the way he convulses/jitters, and how much he can fuck you up if he gets a hit in. Amazing game overall.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Played the original GC release. Own it on psn.

I think this game is fatastic. The inventory juggling wasn’t as bad as people said and don’t remember it being an issue for myself. I rank it higher than Code Veronica or Nemesis personally.

It’s the more action driven classic RE along the lines of Nemesis. Billy was a decent character too.

I’ve been meaning to replay this. Did a replay of REmake not too long ago. This is up next.

If you haven’t played it. You should.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Hmmm, I loved it. The mansion and lore/story was great for RE.
Yeah it had some annoying stuff like no item box, and character swops but overall I loved it.

Would love to see a remake at the same time as RE1 REMAKE REMAKE after Code Veronica Remake :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Hmmm, I loved it. The mansion and lore/story was great for RE.
Yeah it had some annoying stuff like no item box, and character swops but overall I loved it.

Would love to see a remake at the same time as RE1 REMAKE REMAKE after Code Veronica Remake :ROFLMAO:

Man, I would love a Code Veronica remake. It had so much great stuff - the twisted story, creepy twins, big and interesting environments, amazing boss fights and creature design, and Claire and Chris are so likeable. Steve is hit and miss for many people, but I think with a better VA he could have been a lot more appealing.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Man, I would love a Code Veronica remake. It had so much great stuff - the twisted story, creepy twins, big and interesting environments, amazing boss fights and creature design, and Claire and Chris are so likeable. Steve is hit and miss for many people, but I think with a better VA he could have been a lot more appealing.

Yeah if it would be made in the recent RE remake engine, it could be so good. Fix up some of the issues, dont make it shorter ( its one of the longer RE games ) and it would be perfect.

Classic RE gameplay, one of the better RE stories and lots of connecting lore. Mansion… yes please

Yeah they can easily make Steve better too

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I am forever salty at RE0 and RECV crapping the bed, supposedly making the need to change to action RE a thing. That's bullcrap right there.

Edit: 2, 3 and Outbreak had the foundations for continued evolution of the classic RE formula.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I personally didn't like the anime tend Capcom took the series around CV/CVX/0 time period. What was with the look of the train attacker, just to start? I think RE0 is generally disliked due to animal bosses, no item boxes, and how the Rebecca that walks out of that game is a different character to RE1 Rebecca who's scared of regular zombies.

RECV had it's own problems which made some people hate it, which had nothing to do with the ''RE formula getting stale''. Unlikeable characters in Steve Burnside and Alfred. Wesker decending into anime villan territory. Boring story and needless backtracking galore. Ending in a literal copy of the Spencer mansion lobby, beginnning to show creative lazyness. Not having RE3's quick dodge, 180' turn, dynamic choices systems.

(I believe all the following to be correct, without going and digging old games out of storage to double-check)

RE3:Nemesis and RE:Outbreak should have provided the basis for 'survival horror' Resident Evil games going forward, instead of retooling into 'Action Horror' games with RE4.

RE3 did bring-in more action-y movements, simillar to how Dino Crisis 2 was compared to DC1. RE3 gave us the dynamic choices which affected how our story played-out, a 180' quick turn and a dodge mechanic. Zombies came in variations. You would be firing at two zombies in the front of a crowd, and one guy from the back would zip forward, almost running in comparison to the others, forcing you to react. Down a zombie, and no longer would he always simply stand-up again, but sometimes he would maniacally crawl towards you! Just like the the robots in Binary Domain, taking-out a zombies legs didn't mean the end for him, as that could cause the crawl-attack as well. You were always kept guessing. In what I believe is the first time this happened in the series, it allowed different enemy types in the same room. A Chimera bio weapon (an experimented-on flea if I recall correctly) on a particuarly over-populated T-Junction of Racoon City streets could actually lop off a zombie's head with it's running slashes, if you timed it just right. But if you didn't, the zombies got in your way and made for a very tense encounter. Later games could have revisited the idea of multiple enemy types in the same area, forcing players to strategize how they would approach a situation. RE3 proved you could still keep Survival Horror staples such as the fixed camera angles (used to create tension and set atmosphere), and tank controls, giving a sense of tight movement control within areas that could be tense itself if you panic or mis-timed your movements. It also gave us the Nemesis, a relentless super bio weapon whom would chase us from room to room, where we couldn't escape. So, even though the gameplay was a bit faster, and a bit more action-y, the series was still firmly routed in Survival Horror. There was still a balance kept between action, downtime, puzzels and storytelling.

RE:Outbreak iterated on those ideas. There is a scene where your character is running around the Hellfire chapter's Apple Inn courtyard, and the fixed camera goes to a shot from inside a window, looking out at your character. Suddenly a licker crawls across the window when your character's back is turned. Sort of a reverse-nod towards RE2's scene where you see the Licker run across the window before meeting it properly. For the rest of the chapter you are anticipating and dreading the encounter with the Licker, or Lickers, as we don't know how many there will be yet. In RE:O, both bio weapons like Hunters, Leech Man, and regular zombies could follow you from room to room. there was no escape. Sound also carried from room to room, so you heard enemies entering the next room, knowing they were closing in on you, or you heard your teammates being attacked knowing you were next. Even normal zombies could bite you and start a slow-burning infection meter, which had you running (and later limping) around desperately looking for a health spray, which were in small supply. You were given options to nail a doorway shut, or hold the door closed against enemies to stop them coming through, but only temporarily, Ammo was scarce, which Outbreak compensated for with a 'charged shot', where you would aim steady for a while, and then re-align your gun to deal more damage.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
And after all that off my chest, I am really happy that RE0 and RE1make finally were rescued from GC isolation :)

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Sigh... Sometimes I think I'm even more depressed than I know. Sorry for derailing the thread mate

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
And after all that off my chest, I am really happy that RE0 and RE1make finally were rescued from GC isolation :)

Same. I always wanted to play them and when they released on PS, I snapped them up right away.

PS. I don't think you derailed the thread. You gave your opinion on the topic at hand. I didn't necessarily agree with everything, but I know we RE fans are a passionate bunch with strong opinions on the series we all love. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

D

Deleted member 13

I never finished that game. I found the controls using both characters to be cumbersome and made me lose a lot of fights.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Sigh... Sometimes I think I'm even more depressed than I know. Sorry for derailing the thread mate
Hope everything is doing better now mate. Even if RE never goes back to its RE1 and RE2 roots at least we have Silent Hill Making a comeback!

Reactions: Deleted member 13

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
No Item Box and character switching is what let the game down.

The rest was amazing.

They should have stuck to the RE1 and RE2 formula. 2 different characters and scenarios.

Billy Coen is my favourite character in the RE series. Love the mystery surrounding the character.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Deleted member 13

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Really love this game, I found the character switching fun too.

Just a shame there's no item box, that's the big knock for me.

I don’t ever remember it being cumbersome. I’m not advocating for it; just indifferent. You could pretty much drop any item on the floor and return to pick it up later (that is unless game scenario changes locations). Maybe it’s far worse on harder difficulties due to herb hoarding or something?

I really need to replay this. Soon. Maybe after Ragnarok?

Kuki Shinobu

9 Jul 2022
I don’t ever remember it being cumbersome. I’m not advocating for it; just indifferent. You could pretty much drop any item on the floor and return to pick it up later (that is unless game scenario changes locations). Maybe it’s far worse on harder difficulties due to herb hoarding or something?

Yeah, it's certainly not a game-breaking thing, it's actually nice to be able to drop items whenever and something that I would have loved in RE1/2/3/CV since you're stuck if you have a full inventory and need to pick up an item. But having the ability to drop items anywhere and have item box access too would have been perfect. I got the platinum a couple years ago for all the RE games and at least for hard mode and the speed run trophies no item boxes does make it more harder if you need an item but dropped it on the other side of the mansion. If only the main hall had unlimited space for dropped items haha

You should! If you're playing the remaster both RE0/REmake still look incredible 20+ years later!

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

I didn't find it cumbersome either. It compels you to make some hard choices which added a strategic element I enjoyed. For example, never thought I'd see the day I'd just leave a handgun behind in a RE game but it was the right choice to take the Magnum instead.