RUMOR: NCSoft is developing an Horizon MMORPG for Sony

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
"According to a report from news site MTN, Sony is teaming up with Korean gaming company NCSoft to make a Horizon MMORPG. The game is rumoured to be in development at NCSoft’s offices, with the title made for global audiences as part of Sony’s push into live service games. As of now, NCSoft is recruiting developers for the title that’s codenamed Project H in job ads."

If real, I think this is one of these Sony games that could be released day one on PC (plus PS and probably even mobile too). It also sounds like a good way to bring Horizon to GaaS and appeal PC and mobile players specially from Asia, while leaving the main PS Studios teams focusing on making new games for PS5 (and then having other minor PS Studios teams porting a few of them to PC per year).

NCSoft is the Korean company behind MMORPG hits for PC and mobile like the Guild Wars, Lineage, Blade & Soul or Aion series. It has 3100 employees, makes a yearly revenue of around $2B (around top 15-top 25 biggest gaming revenue company) and has a market cap of around $6.6B. One of their subsidiaries, the American Arenanet, is the one that developed Guild Wars.

@Bryank75 does not like this post
larry-hagman-as-the-iconic-j-r-ewing-1621532940.jpg

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: EDMIX and Bryank75
P

peter42O

This is probably the Horizon online game that was listed in the recent leak that showed several Horizon games being listed. Could be amazing if done right.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This is probably the Horizon online game that was listed in the recent leak that showed several Horizon games being listed. Could be amazing if done right.
I can see a F2P MMORPG released on PC, PS5 and mobile, being appealing to specially PC and mobile Asian audiences. Something like Horizon x Genshin Impact x Guild Wars x Monster Hunter.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
So this alongside Call of the Mountain, and a Monster Hunter style game? I can't remember details from the leak.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I would’ve just stopped at TLOU online.

They kinda have too many going. They cannot all succeed.

P

peter42O

I can see a F2P MMORPG released on PC, PS5 and mobile, being appealing to specially PC and mobile Asian audiences. Something like Horizon x Genshin Impact x Guild Wars x Monster Hunter.

Yeah, that combination could be very interesting and intriguing. If the game were to have PvE and I can play solo ala The Division 2, they would definitely have my interest.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
They pushing was too much with this IP

That too. They have a lot of faith in Horizon for whatever reason. Tentpole sequel, vr game, mmo monhun clone…. Tv series too right?

I mean it all “sounds good.” I kinda just don’t believe in the IP much.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: SSfox

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
That too. They have a lot of faith in Horizon for whatever reason. Tentpole sequel, vr game, mmo monhun clone…. Tv series too right?

Yeah, first game was good, but not a GOAT or something ala GOW, Uncharted or TLOU. But that's just my opinion, maybe this IP has a lot of Stans we don't know about.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They're pushing was too much with this IP
They only released 2 games and have an upcoming VR spin-off and movie. This MMORPG, like the other rumored upcoming projects are just that: rumors. Pretty likely most rumored upcoming projects other than the logical Horizon 3 are fake.

Yeah, first game was good, but not a GOAT or something ala GOW, Uncharted or TLOU. But that's just my opinion, maybe this IP has a lot of Stans we don't know about.

Maybe the first one wasn't as brilliant as a GoW but it got a 89 Metacritic and sold over 20M copies. Its sequel also got great reviews and had a better sales launch even if there weren't consoles at the stores to sell bundles. Pretty likely will sell 20M+ again and can be the first Sony IP with two 20M+ sellers unless GoWR sells way faster (which is also likely).

So I think that the movie, third episode by Guerrilla and a Asian focused GaaS multiplayer PC + mobile (+PS5 I assume) spinoff developed by someone else with expertise on this type of games like NCSoft makes a lot of sense to me.

I assume that after two Horizons and codeveloping the VR spinoff, before going with Horizon 3 Guerrilla will want to work in other IP, specially if there is really someone else like NCSoft working on another multiplayer Horizon project. So it would make a lot of sense to me that Guerrilla is developing would be from a different IP: a new one, Killzone or even the also rumored SOCOM. Or maybe the rumored multiplayer game from Guerrilla is the one being mostly externally developed at NCSoft and Guerrilla is only overviewing it and providing art and data, as they did with Horizon VR.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I would’ve just stopped at TLOU online.

They kinda have too many going. They cannot all succeed.
It is very difficult to become a big hit with GaaS games, this is why instead of making only one they make like a dozen. Some will do ok, some will fail, some will be a big hit.

So far MLB and GT7 have been a hit. Let's see how the next ones will perform.

We also have to think that GaaS will be only about a third of their games, and that GaaS developments won't mean they'll decrease the amount of non-GaaS projects: they'll make more non-GaaS titles than before instead.

D

Deleted member 13

If real, I think this is one of these Sony games that could be released day one on PC (plus PS and probably even mobile too). It also sounds like a good way to bring Horizon to GaaS and appeal PC and mobile players specially from Asia, while leaving the main PS Studios teams focusing on making new games for PS5 (and then having other minor PS Studios teams porting a few of them to PC per year).
Who cares if it's a few or a lot. We are only interested in the AAA block busters anyway. And ALL of those are getting ported going forward.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Who cares if it's a few or a lot. We are only interested in the AAA block busters anyway. And ALL of those are getting ported going forward.
They plan to release for every year more games for console than for PC. It means that in addition to many of the old ones MAY NEVER BE PORTED, and same goes with part of the future ones unless in 2026 or beyond they highly increase their amount of ports per year.

Hermen NEVER said they will port ALL games or even the AAA blockbusters.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
That's not actually what Hulst has said (and Ryan has said half of their annual releases will be on PC and mobile by 2025) but of course that doesn't fit your favoured narrative....

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
That's not actually what Hulst has said (and Ryan has said half of their annual releases will be on PC and mobile by 2025) but of course that doesn't fit your favoured narrative....
Well, what Sony ("Ryan") said is that in the fiscal year that ends in 2026 almost half (not half) of their releases will be PC or mobile releases. But never said that these PC releases were going to be new or relatively new games, and the mobile games at least in most cases (not all) will be mobile only games, different than the console ones.

image.png

• brain
Reactions: Hezekiah
D

Deleted member 13

They plan to release for every year more games for console than for PC. It means that in addition to many of the old ones MAY NEVER BE PORTED, and same goes with part of the future ones unless in 2026 or beyond they highly increase their amount of ports per year.

Hermen NEVER said they will port ALL games or even the AAA blockbusters.
OK. Let's define what I mean by "all"

Uncharted - check
TLOU - check
God of War - check
Horizon - check
Spiderman - check
Returnal - check
Ghosts - ??
GT7 - ??
R&C - ??

Of all of those, we got the ones that count. Hence, my definition of ALL. No one will care about GT7 or R&C. Ghosts might be another matter but they are still doing their initial rounds before circling back for the sequels.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Gran Turismo should be one of their priorities for pc and Xbox release even if I don’t think racing simulation style racers move the needle at all anymore. There’s room for it on pc. There’s only really Forza and GT when it comes to named brands and the more strict simulation style I remember from a decade ago on pc don’t seem to exist anymore?

Hopefully Gt7 ports are already ready to go. Otherwise we’re gonna have to wait for the next game and Forza picks up some ground.

D

Deleted member 13

Gran Turismo should be one of their priorities for pc and Xbox release even if I don’t think racing simulation style racers move the needle at all anymore. There’s room for it on pc. There’s only really Forza and GT when it comes to named brands and the more strict simulation style I remember from a decade ago on pc don’t seem to exist anymore?
PC has better/ more accurate driving games (Assetto Corsa and i-Racing) than the consoles.